Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hi i made a new album last week

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Penisface posted:

trip report: very nice :)

thank you :)

nerds may be interested to know that the 'bells' sequence was essentially random notes in a scale slowly fed into a delay set to 13/8 (or maybe 13/4). the weird delay time lets each new note kindof slip into the sequence that makes it feel like it's evolving organically.

also yeah rip florian :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hey johnny who do you recommend for acoustic bass guitar strings, mine are about a year old at this point and im wondering if its time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
(my bass guitar is mostly for playing christmas songs and bad playalongs to country roads and love shack)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
logic is loving amazing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
speaking of kvr why is everyone there so grumpy all the time its just nothing but grump grump grump

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
got some singing bowls coming this week as a bday gift from me to me, gonna make me some drones

dont imagine they're all in tune or anything tho, but maybe i can experiment with each one individually

like what if i fill one with water, or put a marble in. can i turn one into a hosed up plate reverb?

what if i record at 192khz and change the sample rate to 48k to lower the tone two octaves

edit: oh, and what if i put one bowl in another, will there be any sympathetic resonance?

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 25, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
ooooh i like that idea

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
poo poo yeah

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
ordered a digitakt :cool:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
when do i need a DI box? i have an electro-acoustic bass guitar that sounds like weak poo poo when i plug it into my audio interface, same with the contact mike I have taped to my kalimba

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I thought that's what I was plugging into on my audio interface, the front inputs on my MOTU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
tbh im quite willing to accept that the mic in the bass is just crap, it was the cheapest ibanez they had at guitar center 2 years ago

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
should i buy bitwig while its on sale y/n

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

this seems like it's one of those programs where you fiddle for like six hours to get a slightly different sawtooth from the sound you started out with, but i know trig uses it iirc

yeah i know he's been using it p much from day one

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
happy 808 day friends, treat your drum machine to lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3N9yioOibE

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
oberon is my favorite moon name, ever since it was a title deed in that solarquest board game from the 80s

love that name

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i bought myself a yamaha reface cp for my birthday because i love that rhodes sound

but now i'm already craving a lightweight violin bass :/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i just got my $600 gavin bux, what the hell do i do with it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Zam Wesell posted:

well, what do you need?

i went straight to detroit modular and bought new modules to interface my bass :twisted:

then this mornin i realized what i really need is to git good and cancelled my order. if it werent for the pandemic i'd go snooping around for bass lessons.

there is however a bass compressor on deep discount at a local shop tho...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

I am a loving sucker for processing hardware, but i could not give less of a poo poo about hardware synthesizers or samplers. I did my time. But an analog comp or eq is going to be realtime and I do like twisting the knob there. "hehe twisty knob filter open up" is boring to me but when you can ride comp ratio and thresholds to find that sweet spot, it's a good feeling.

i spent like 20 minutes the other night twiddling the ratio of a compressor on like a snare drum with reverb and it's really goddamn hard to tell the difference. like even switching between 4 and 20 on an 1176 emulation i cant seem to find the ear for it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i want to make music again but cant because the pup wont let me have more than fifteen seconds of concentration to myself

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hella gassing for an mpc live ii right now, a week after the black friday sales have ended

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's an incredibly good deal, although they have that sale regularly. I picked it up in April and it's... a lot of samples.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
also i ordered that mpc :twisted:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
that is too many strings jonny

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MrQueasy posted:

Guys, it's december! Time to break out the Christmas Music books! :3:

sat down this morning at 11:20AM to relearn and play along to all i want for christmas is you

abby had to go out to "go potty" (ie sniff around and eat dirt) at 11:21AM

tater wanted a full walk directly after that, then it was time to get ready for an mri appointment

i got through half a verse!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

nargle rubs her cheek on the D string tuner on my bass and then looks at me weird when i yell at it and ask why its constantly out of tune

Cats rarely have perfect pitch ime

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
borrowing this from the music library atm in preparation for the new mpc im getting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

relative_q posted:

that's a cool old drum machine for sure, but it will in no way prepare you for using an mpc.

which model mpc are you getting, anyway?

live ii

i'm just autosampling it in logic rn lol, this machine can pitch its gritty rear end 12 bit samples down two octaves and it sounds amazing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i bought a syntakt, gets here next week

i want to sell the live ii i've barely touched now

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I got the old Sony MDR-7506es.
i get such a wisp of... nostalgia for lack of a better word for the 7506

when my folks brought home their first cd player, it was a pair of discmans with 7506s or their predecessors. 30 years later and i'm wearing a pair now. wish the cord didnt tangle so drat much tho

current music status: at the computer with a dx7 emulator and chowning's FM Theory and Applications. gonna understand this poo poo once and for all

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I barely remember but glad to be of service <3

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
dem bones > money, fight me

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

You know what I wanna do? I want to make an album that is centered entirely around sounds, ideas, loops, progressions, rhythms, patches, and other unique garbage from people more successful than me. Chopped up poo poo I like and obvious Xerox copies of real, better songs and tracks. Minimal adjustment just to sound good to my ears. Bitch, imma steal. I’m sick of trying to be unique and pure and independently valuable and have a justified existence. Anyone who says they are is a loving liar.

I ain’t gonna sell it or let anyone make money off of it, so don’t loving sue me you RIAA-bootlicking pricks. Not like anyone’s listening anyway. Timbaland can suck my teeny weeny peeny gently caress u.

this you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
TAL-DAC seems to be what you’re looking for. I think you can do batch jobs with it via Audacity.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
picked up my acoustic bass guitar again after rather ignoring it for a year while i raised abby. god puppies can be such assholes.

anyway i was never all that good and 95% of my practice has been via yousician which is probably teaching me bad habits but i'm having fun so whatever. at some point though i should probably see an instructor about reducing things like fret buzz

also tried out my electric bass -- one of those hofner violin-style basses mccartney uses and... i just can't gel with the thing, y'know? just feels so awkward and hard to press down on the strings compared to the acoustic. maybe i just need to build up the calluses.

think i want to take the acoustic to the luthier who fixed up the hofner after the holidays and give it some tlc. maybe some new strings, see what can be done to make it a bit less... twangy for lack of a better word. too much upper harmonics for my taste

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i'll take a look, thanks! i dont care too much if they're quieter, i dont jam with others at the moment

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i have a live II and yes it does everything but it feels too close to a daw to me and i already have a daw and haven't used it in over a year so i'm probably going to sell it. for more than a used One tho i'm afraid sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
just a regular black one, sorry