Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

oh hey i like music and synths. I have too many and I don't play with them enough. I guess the last interesting thing I did musically is build a distortion pedal, though not really a pedal cause it doesn't have a switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

echinopsis posted:

sick what kind of design

s'a proco rat clone.I found a bag of the old opamps they use for those on ebay and designed a board to remember how to solder SMD.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Crazy Achmed posted:

does anyone know of a cheap or free plugin to make ableton basically sound like the general midi setup that every pc had as default in the 90s?

the aesthetic is very important

I think you can get a soundfont player and a soundfont.

yeah here is an sf2 file
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/713 (click the download button on the upper right)

and this is a vst that should work, it's by plogue who've been around a while and made some cool stuff.
https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

Zaxxon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 8, 2020

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

alexandriao posted:

Anyone have any articles on like, synthesizer theory or explanation or something? I didn't find anything worth reading ;-;

if you wanna go pretty deep you can read sound on sound magazines "synth secrets" articles.

https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets?solrsort=ds_created%20asc&f%5B0%5D=im_field_subject%3A8106

there is a LOT of stuff in there, some great, some kinda meh. One nice thing is that it starts by trying to get everyone thinking about the sounds they hear in synth friendly terms before talking too much about poo poo like "modulating the cutoff."

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

alexandriao posted:

Dang, thanks for that video. It's the same stuff I was reading last night but I feel like it stuck a little bit better

I'll check out the rest of the stuff when I'm not cooking bacon :)

Ahhh thank you all :) Looks like my to-do list just got a bunch added to it :)

-

So one system I remembered about is called Pure Data, I didn't do much with it but it has a really interesting presentation and workflow, there's two good videos on it here:

https://youtu.be/FkmMzqohsDo

E: now I remember why I dislike VCV Rack, half the dials aren't labelled so I have zero idea what I'm doing :v:

PD is pretty great. I used to mess with it a lot. It gets a lil rough when your patch starts getting big and complicated. You might also like supercollider, which has a lot of similar functionality but works more like a regular programming language. In fact, as far as I can tell this sonic-pi thing people are talking about here is just ruby talking to supercollider server.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

kaboofa posted:

Yesssssssss. You can use good ole diff to compare different versions of a supercollider patch. Good luck trying to do that in PD or Max/MSP

I mean even just reading a supercollider file makes more sense than a complicated Max or PD patch. I made a sample slicer in Max/MSP a long time ago and it worked real good but it was just an incomprehensible pile of crossing lines after a point, and that was with me trying to make everything sub patches and all that poo poo.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

a neurotic ai posted:

Itís probably the FL mantra of having a million ways to do something, but if I recall correctly the only way to do multiple effects chains in ableton is through racks and groups. With FL I can arbitrarily connect any channel with another (I am probably wrong that ableton canít do this though.)

my faders also look much cooler when I make them dance by automating them with a peak controller (no joke this is how I side chained when I started).

you can route channels to channels in ableton.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah ppl post ur catalogs

I got this soundcloud, but it's mostly fuckin around kinda stuff. That's all I really have recorded.

https://soundcloud.com/void-star-1

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

toiletbrush posted:

I like these. How did you build your plate reverb?

So basically I got a piece of sheet steel from home depot. I went through their lil bin and tapped all the sheets with a key until I got one with a lil ring to it.

Then I built a plywood frame, basically gluing 3 strips of plywood per side cut to make bridle joints. I drilled some holes in the frame to get some big bolts in there, and used some s hooks to strectch out the plate inside the frame, you can tighten the bolts to increase the tension in the plate, I think there is a point in one of the demo files where I do it and you can hear it a bit. Then I glued a crossbar to the middle of the frame and added a lil brace that holds a driver against the plate. I got the driver and a 35w mini amp for it off amazon. Finally I just attached a couple of piezo mics with some double sided tape.

I took it apart to try and fix up some stuff and add pre-amps to the contact mics but then I just sorta left it sitting around in my garage.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

toiletbrush posted:

Oh poo poo, I didnít realise it was real! Thatís really cool.

Iíve built a few reverbs in Reaktor that sounds pretty nice but itís nothing like something physical you can flick with your fingers.

Iíve got a couple spring reverbs I want to take apart though, I want to attach the transducers to parts of a piano because the tuned/harmonic reverb from that would be lush. Technically you could sample an IR and use it in a convolution reverb but itís not as fun.

oh yeah, here is a picture of what's sitting around in the garage, the mouse is on there to give a sense of size. Normally the driver would be in that little circular hole but I took it out for some reason I don't remember. Also one of the contact mics fell off and I need to re-attach it.

Zaxxon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 16, 2020

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Silver Alicorn posted:

I wish I could keep my few remaining brain cells focused long enough to do anything remotely cool

mee too pal

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

I was supposed to be playing a show tonight but it got cancelled by COVID-19. So it looks like the guys promoting it are gonna do a stream thing. I'm gonna be playing my old "chiptune" (In quotes because I don't actually use any vintage hardware and don't sound particularly accurate either) sets, it could be fun if any of y'all wanna watch it. The rest of the show is a few chip acts from texas and or california of various types.

stuff should be kicking off around 9pm central. I should be going on around 9:45.
https://www.twitch.tv/intotone/

here is my living room stream setup:

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Achmed Jones posted:

is that a dog underneath a desk

or what one might call

a subwoofer?

his bark is worse than his bass.

but yeah I set everything up on the dog's jail

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

looks pretty dope, I do love a good tracker, it's a pretty great way to display stuff once you get used to reading it.

I worry about those buttons though, they look janky. I wonder why musical gear doesn't try and use mechanical keyboard switches, they're pretty cheap now and real nice.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

just did the c78 mod to my volca beats machine and now the snare sounds like an actual 808. It's very worth doing.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

I made one of those KK slider versions of an already known song. It was kinda fun to do

https://soundcloud.com/void-star-1/kk-slider-the-kick-inside

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

oh boy guitar chat.

I have the shittiest guitar ever, its the first kind of electric guitar monoprice ever sold. Basically a strat clone, but I'll be honest it doesn't sound too bad for an $80 guitar.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Penisface posted:

well feel free to img timeline me because the last time i touched JUCE, you had to write c++ and while it was not super obscure or difficult, i could see myself spending too much time to get some experiment running

You aren't alone. I'm fine with c++ but JUICE kinda drives me crazy, I wish I could just get over it and learn to love the JUICE but my brain-mind wont let me.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Penisface posted:

i could get into JUCE, but i ran out of reasons why. i decided not to spend my free time programming music tools but instead just work on music using my existing gear and all that

no doubt. I still have the problem that I like to make music tools, I just have to do it the hard way for some stupid reason.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Penisface posted:

hope you find this motivating :)

Yeah, I get it but it's not so much that I think JUICE is "cheating" it's just I have more trouble using it than not using it. Just the way it wants you to do everything messes with me and I find I spend more time thinking about how JUCE wants to do things than what I'm trying to accomplish.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there needs to be a big innovation in scratching to make it interesting again.

people wore the poo poo out of serato and........welp :shrug:

there was a group out of Houston in the late 90s early 2000s called "Freedom Sold." It was a rapper/guitar guy and a DJ and they did like big noisy shoegazy stuff with sorta backpack hip hop lyrics, they weren't super great but they were real interesting and I kinda wish they had stuck around longer and gotten real good at what they did.

I saw the DJ solo once and it was very cool in an overwhelming psych rock, Bordomes / Jimi Hendrix guitar solo kinda style but clearly grounded in hip-hop DJ traditions.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

welcome to soldering gang. Now get ready for the fun of trying to buy parts online!

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

trying out some simple dawless stuff with my homemade synth, Here is a pretty repetitive acid thingy. It's just the one synth a volca beats with the snare sound modded and a memory man delay pedal.

https://soundcloud.com/void-star-1/frog-tech

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

I ususally post these in the yoschord but I'm feeling like spreading them around a bit more. I do simple acid jams on Wednesday. Where I try to use all the different synths and stuff that I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4FdShk7aA8

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Minnesota Mixup posted:

And because I had time today I wrote another, this time with some drums and a dizi which was a lot of fun

https://soundcloud.com/user-87616560/dizi-fun

what are you using for the sounds?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Minnesota Mixup posted:

thanks, that means a lot to me!

Using kontakt. orchestra sounds are spitfire studio orchestra pro, the dizi and drums are from the native instruments east asia spotlight collection.

Thanks, it sounds quite good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

toiletbrush posted:

IMHO making music, like a lot of things, is generally best when you don't really give a poo poo. The stuff I do when I'm just messing about for fifteen minutes in my lunch break or randomly trying something out and then spending 5 hours fiddling with it is ten times better than what I make when I earnestly sit down and try to 'compose'. Finishing stuff is different, and obviously different strokes for different folks, but at least in the ideas stage putting pressure on yourself to make something 'good' is often counter productive.

Along those lines, I just bought a guitar (I can't play, at all) and hooked it up to my modular with an expression pedal on CV duty, and it's the most fun I've had in ages. Really makes me wish I could actually play though.

I'm very much the same way. Some of my best work is stuff that I just shat out real quick. I tried to set up all my gear to get somethign where I could do "bigger" projects and I just ended up not doing anything.

That's why I do my "acid wednesday" vids, it's a fun way to play with different gear and just get something done even if it isn't perfect.

vids in quesiton:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ75L_7YH9ADn4Qp0JdrrPD-EBTjg_W-_