Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i think I spent 20 hours putting together i/o and routing and all software updates and licenses on my last 20 years of studio gear to not make a single bleep or bloop with it, I did get my ancient tascam fw-1082 and novation remote zero sl working with cubase 12 on win11 before i realized I would rather just noodle on the volca bass when on the couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

got really high and think i had an epiphany about how radar might work last night, but with sound (so maybe echo location?)

you generate a basic tone, point it in a direction and then have a mic that is filtering out all tones except the frequency you emitted. if the mic picks up the tone then it means something is downrange bouncing it back to you

setup a horizontal and vertical grid of these emitter and mics each on their own frequency and now you have an array and enough resolution to render it as a picture

am i close to correctly understanding the fundamentals?

this came to me via an experiment with my new sound bar cuz it's got multiple speakers in a horizontal array and moving a balloon back and forth in front of the array at a distance of being on my couch- sound bounced off the balloon and to my ears in an interesting way

yeah, you measure the reflection at that azimuth/elevation and the time it took to measure the distance, though you're using phasing probably at those short distances,which isn't exactly the same

anyone have any recommendations on relearning cubase 12? i last used sx3 heavily and other than some basic ui similarities, i think the intended workflow is totally different

sidenote is how amazing motu still supports the fast lane usb-midi adapter, mine is just about 20 years old and they still make drivers for win11

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

so, i'm a 20 year cubase head. i'm literally very adept with it and know all the tricks. i was doing mixes in this mf in 1999.

i recently got back into composition/tracking heavily, and i installed the latest cubase and tried to navigate it

and you know what i did? i got bitwig.

it's 100x more modern and usable, theres enough baseline reverbs/2osc synths to sketch things out without addon plugins, and it runs fast as poo poo.

I think steinberg's day is over unless you're specifically hornt for notation

yeah after spending a few hours with 12 I'll have to say it's really a better tool for, let's say, scoring instead of a streamlined multi track recorder that has midi integration

i started on a 1/4" 8 track tape machine and early 4 track digital recorders, so workflow was overdubs/punching with emphasis on rarely ever using loops/samples unless played live (mpc buttons, minimal midi quantizing, or scratching live) and I did use stems and loops in making songs, it wasn't what I did in the final recorded versions which were tracked fully. Cubase had a good workflow for this as you could just plain track with it and use outboard midi device and effects easily but I could never get ableton to feel "organic" enough and I never got the hang of trying to track with ableton itself

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Olivil posted:

I think I'm gonna replace my interface and DAW for a tascam model 12 + sequencer + drum machine/sampler

it's so fun to see how you can get creative with minimalism, I like to see how far I could get with a few teenage engineering calculators, some volca units and a cassette portastudio

my non-daw rig is a peavey mkiii 16ch, a tascam 38 8-track 1/2" and a fostex model 80 with a bunch of early 80s rack effects units (midiverb, sdd-1000, dbx 160A, etc). i can make actual new wave* on period gear. sold the two boss ce-1s, juno 60 and tr707, kept the jx-3p and the deck above

wild i paid $1500 for all that gear out of a shed before it all went to the dump

*it came from a 1983-ish home studio in pasadena so it certainly did