Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love using my synth so much. it’s a bass station ii

I’d love to make a stand up gig much like how some people use a guitar, but for atmosphere during a story. idk.

having a poly synth would change everything. I can get amazing sounds out of the bass station but hard to know how any of them would fit into anything

a bunch of the noises I make remind me of poo poo i used to hear on tool albums, i’m sure parts of third eye are synth

problem is I just don’t have the raw talent even if I can drum up the skill. i’m a knob twister at heart and am good at working out what everything does and how to take advantage of it, and that attitude works in rodtronics sometimes because everything visual is just placed and can be edited, but the temporal judgment required to make good music and melodies just isn’t there. i still try tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m always keen to embrace and expand. there’s also a but if music in the retrowave thread too

bassstation is a true hardware synth so morbid like you mentioned, but I can control it via midi with ableton so i could do that, and
it’s possibly more interesting to note that you can use the bassstation as a midi controller for ableton, and after making computer music (all of it poo poo right back to the fruity loops days) for almost 2 decades before using a proper midi keyboard and proper audio device I can say it’s definitely a game changer using both so take that as you will

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i never really got crazy delicious dirty noises until I started loving around with mine but I think it’s more the physical ness of the knobs and switches more than that it’s true analog rather than digital

god I want a novation peak

three oscillators and 8 voices. I think the oscillators are digital but very high hz and then the rest is analog.

resonance on the filter cutoff is meaning more and more to me now, working out how to use it to it’s advantage rather than just attenuating higher freqs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sadly yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

im in a pop cover band

nice

Achmed Jones posted:

my audio interface came today and i made beeps and boops go from animoog into the computer. i hope to be able to have leads and pads/bass/etc all in the same track now

this track is gonna end up costing me more money than is reasonable

gently caress yes man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick what kind of design

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do it plz I'm interested

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LuckySevens posted:

you're making a lot of sense here, but it'd still be cool to have a standalone device you can take with whatever music kit you have.

i'll see if anyone has any cool mods, maybe a light effect sync :rodtronics:

i’ve day dreamt of this. for a while I had this idea of being a one man band with looping pedals n poo poo and running my own lighting

it would actually be prettt cool to have a wee device that could accept midi and route different midi channels to different lights or modes or whatever 🤷‍♂️ sounds like fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a neurotic ai posted:

I've been using FL for the last 7-8 years and I get periodic existential anxiety that everybody else I know who makes oontz oontz music uses ableton.

Then I remember I've got harmor and they don't

the workflow difference between the two leads to different music I reckon, and why loving around with both has its own benefits

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a neurotic ai posted:

the main takeaway I’ve gathered is that ableton doesn’t use FLs infuriatingly irritating window management system, it’s a lot easier to use in one view and lends itself to laptops better.

...but it’s also reliant on a bunch of hot keys, and though FLs mixer view is more cumbersome for routing, it can do some fun things that iirc ableton can’t,

what can’t it do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
woah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more like so little motivation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they seem to suffer less from the spend 18 mins slowly introducing the video disease

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LuckySevens posted:

i settled on messing around with this new beta app cables.gl (which is compatible with blender!!!) and ableton, will report back

:chanpop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol good poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got it three times, the lite version, with novation products and komplete audio 1

just pirate it tho you’re not making money and if you do pay for it then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do u guys have a workflow? like start with a beat then do bass or what?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kaosillator is free atm for ios and android

fun for some moments

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
soundcloud.com/echinopsis

it’s mostly garbage and sound experimenting. can’t make a rhythm or bassline to save my life

making phat sounds.. within my sphere of influence

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

I just finished my first song. It is very not good! I learned a lot about using Ableton, though.

good poo poo brother

ableton live is good, and when you get ya head around modulation and automation you’ll make all sorts of dope beats

my ableton live lite suffers from a lack of inbuilt instruments. I used to use “analog” and “operator” for all sorts of poo poo

one thing i’d like to know how to do is how to send synth commands to the bass station ii over midi because I know it’s possible to program every parameter over midi and so you could not just send notes but everything but I don’t know how to create something akin to sending a txt file to the synth over midi.

I do know how to send patch changes to the synth so could pre program the synth patches and have live change patches and also how to record every parameter change on the synth to midi in ableton

also for some reason now my bass station ii won’t connect as midi over usb anymore. it runs off usb power wise so clearly the usb is working but no longer connects as midi 😖

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
midi is pretty sick tbf, is there any other standard that’s 30 odd years old and still just works.

my novation circuits midi ports were just 3.5mm audio ports with an adapter so it didn’t even take up much room

circuit was awesome. DAWless is cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is attempt at playing the synth, as in, I send notes from Ableton and play the knobs.

It's not really a song but there are some cool moments.

One thing I should do, because there have been times I've recorded myself loving around, and I come up with cool bits but I can't recreate it, is also record the MIDI notes and the MIDI CC, because I've now learned ableton records both when you record MIDI, and this way could somewhat be able to recreate the sound perfectly later on.

https://soundcloud.com/user-987488156/fanterrible

that's the "song" lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zaxxon posted:

So basically I got a piece of sheet steel from home depot. I went through their lil bin and tapped all the sheets with a key until I got one with a lil ring to it.

Then I built a plywood frame, basically gluing 3 strips of plywood per side cut to make bridle joints. I drilled some holes in the frame to get some big bolts in there, and used some s hooks to strectch out the plate inside the frame, you can tighten the bolts to increase the tension in the plate, I think there is a point in one of the demo files where I do it and you can hear it a bit. Then I glued a crossbar to the middle of the frame and added a lil brace that holds a driver against the plate. I got the driver and a 35w mini amp for it off amazon. Finally I just attached a couple of piezo mics with some double sided tape.

I took it apart to try and fix up some stuff and add pre-amps to the contact mics but then I just sorta left it sitting around in my garage.

i’d love to see pics ??

e: woah you did d

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
indulging in some piracy

mostly just to experience some glory of the amazing packs out there

like I installed a piano vst. wow!!!

cool it’s fun to play my bass station II as a midi controller for piano in ableton

also continue to love the bass station ii

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

is it sample based or physically modelled? I mucked around with a demo of a physically modelled piano years ago and it was absolutely nuts how realistic it was. Pianos aren't very forgiving if you can't right good tunes though so I steer clear of them.

idk but it sounds very good. ableton used to have one built in that was sample based, I think it just had one sample per octave and blended between samples at the edges of each octave

it sounded incredibly real. as does this one.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

thursday's dnb mix

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/576308850

starts around 4:00

this is the first one with my new traktor x1 box alongside the S2. its really fun and i am enjoying the setup so far

i feel like i wanna round it out with something like an apc40 or a maschine pad type box and then ill be happy. no need to get an s4 or s8

I have fond memories of a some called ozark bass or something of yours it was a mix and thrrr were some sick parts that really tickled my fancy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick I had no idea it was more than one mix

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got live lite 3 times, 2 with novation products and one with native instruments lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoNHknEZA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ableton with all the built in ableton plugins is very well integrated which held enourmous appeal when I first started using it, and now it just feels normal to use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man I enjoyed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.musicradar.com/news/coronavirus-giveaways-the-best-free-software-and-services-for-musicians

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was a dx7 monophonic?/

if so... sick

I like FM8 the fm synth plugin. goes to show how much potential fm synthesis has but also how difficult it is to dial in decent sounds among st the haystack of atrocious ones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

no

the dx7 was sixteen note polyphonic

wtf and this was the 80s?

Ruffian Price posted:

FM8 is great for figuring out operator relationships because the partial view updates in real time as you edit the matrix, so once you see what self-modulating, chaining modulators etc. actually does to the spectrum it becomes kinda intuitive

kinda, in the sense that looking at a waveform shows you what it will sounds like.....

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that yours? jesus christ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbf the best bits of yospos arent really the computers

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 12, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m interesting to hear more about these

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some people seem to think that idea of input setup -> auto song is the purpose of them

like I remember reading somewhere maybe even in this thread that they didn't see the point of getting one and just trying to make it into a unique synthesiser

I have a suspicion that filters and gain are something that really benefit from discrete circuitry. oscillators not so much. but then again I know gently caress all.

one thing I am working out about myself is how much more inspirational my bass station II is compared to say arturia pigments which by all means is a far more capable soft synth. but I think it's the physical nature of the machine. definitely need some knobs to twist

something that had infinite endless knobs with also oled labels etc would be the poo poo. the hydrasynth looks a lot like that but is a real synth

this looks ok. you can get a 4 octave one too but not a 3 octave perfect size one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyUmBUUS1w

e: don't be fooled by the orchestral presets, there is plenty of synth sounds as well and the sound engine probably has like 1000+ waveforms to choose from when building your own sound

the only reason nobody ever bothers with making their own patches is that it's quite complicated and tedious

poo poo I need to learn to play the piano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

here's some stuff https://www.pianoscales.org/major.html

but if you want more instant gratification i suggest messing around with an arpeggiator

I've a moderate idea of music theory from decades playing guitar, I mean, I need to learn how to play it. that's just gonna be time tho