Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m somewhat looking for an all-in-one and it just seems like a better value option than spending the same thing on something new but probably less capable

don’t need piano action, just a way to make ableton play notes and beats. could probably be the total extent of my controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love a good arpeggiator. the one on my hydrasynth was good, haven’t found one inside a soft synth that worked as well, but I remember the one on the novation launchkey was good

this looks similar to the launchkey. if I can assign the pots to things inside ableton that’ll make for some decent controllability

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crime on a Dime posted:

get it, imo. even if you end up with a better keyboard eventually that's a lot of midi control.. you can map so many different things

yeah just went and had a look at other keyboards and realised 25 key is too small and then in that size I think this second hand one is good value

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo I think I'd struggle to do all that in 49 keys. two layers maybe.. but not three.

part of me wants to give the full size electic piano to my dad, or loan it indefinitely, he'd probably get a lot of joy out of it and might make him less miserable.. but he's a real dick often and kind of doesn't deserve it, especially when I don't do things like that for my mum. BUT that's kind of the lovely irony of grumpy rear end mother fuckers is that they actually often get what they want because everyone else just wants them to shut up lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249--akai-professional-mpk249-keyboard-controller

Controllers tend to depreciate fairly quickly (even though they're hella important in the studio) or are those AUD instead of USD

They improved the pads and you get CV/gate out for your robot farts, too

thats nzd and they are 899 new here WTF

you've posted the 47 key version however, I am looking at the 61 key .. the 47 is "only" 700 new instead

but you've made me realise there is a 47key version lol, which may suit my purposes much better and be the thing I want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i was in a 2 man ambient guitar/keyboard (we both played both) setup called hiways and byeways :3:

one time we got a gig at an indie coffee shop downtown in our small town, set up and started playing. about 35 minutes in the gruff rear end boomer owner stomped up to the stage and said "are yall gonna finish tuning up and play a song?"

"uhh we've been playing for a half hour"

"yall gotta go"

lmfao

lol

this story makes me wonder if I’ve got the guts to carry thru my one man gig thing. spose that’s why i’ve set my sights on playing in places where there are no people

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

fuckin life goals right here.

I'm having fun making shoegaze-for-meetings with garageband's questionable amp sims and a detuned telecaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-KOBxZpcU

this was excellent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thoughts on pigments?

I am a huge fan of ob-xa, the free oberheim sim. sounds fat as gently caress. and it’s easy on cpu cycles, coz my 2015 retina macked bronpork struggles with a too much going on

I really like the juno 6 emulator but drat I do struggle without having two oscillators to detune

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

this really makes me want to figure out how to express myself via music tho :( im mad and sad and I want my music to reflect that

good luck friend. at best I can make something that sounds cool for a moment, capturing some heart is a challenge.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Am I the only person who plays guitar who gets nothing from the minor pentatonic scale, especially when used as the basis for solos?
I mean, I "get it" theory wise but it just does nothing whatsoever for me on any emotional level, it's like listening to a plain tortilla chip

i was literally just listening to shine on you crazy diamond, and i’m pretty sure that’s just blues scale. i mean neither of us are david gilmour but at least he shows that it’s possible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I’ve never understood that freebird thing

I don’t mind the start of the song at all infact kinda like it but god drat that solo is average as gently caress and waaay too fuckin long and how the hell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

iirc the freebird solo was literally just a jam that they put on tape to pad out the record

it worked too because southern rock isn’t exactly a paragon of musical complexity

yeah but what I mean is how it became a meme
to play it and people would request it from every artist etc

maybe it was all a big joke? like let’s waste the next ten minutes of our lives and pretend we enjoy it. boggle my mind lol

no shade tho simple man is a great fuckin track and solid riff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just play the right note at the right time hth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I re-listen to the stuff i’ve put on my tiktok heaps

it’s a shame when you’ve made something you think is actually decent and you wonder maybe if anyone gave it the time they’d maybe think it was worthwhile but.. i hardly expect anyone who knows anything about me to willingly put time into listening to my music these days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it’s all true

I make the music I do because I enjoy to do so, but there’s a stupid part of me craves validation, it’s the same with my photography. id love to know how to become more content with my own opinion.

getting validation for my work however is a like drug lol, because when someone’s said my work is good it feels good but it doesn’t satisfy for long, spose it never will, I just want more lol. stupid fuckin brain

keep on bloopin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

i have something heretical to say:

all music is bad on some level

even well known and well liked david bowie stuff has some janky and dumb parts

there’s always a little poo poo in the meat

I know what you mean, and it’s important to grok this in order to be ok at with your own music

like there are some songs etc that I think are near perfect, but i’m not such a blind fan that I can’t see that I wouldn’t play that note or whatever

the other trick here is to listen to it when high as heck because drugs can kinda smooth over any bad bits lol

all of that said, “easy” by faith no more is perfect. I can’t think of a single aspect or note in that song that is wrong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

4lokos basilisk posted:

please dont take this the wrong way: i admire your devotion to building the ultimate beast setup for whatever you want to do, but its one of those things i would never personally do or suggest anyone to do

its the sort of crazy unorthodox approaches that may end up with something super cool down the road

this is a very unusual post and I am a bit of an expert of hosed up posts but this reads as a pure negative post. i don’t get why you’d post this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

echi's lack of attention to detail

just write tunes

I apply this technique across my whole life with a huge loving trowel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that’s fine of course, just like.. why post it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol what? that’s the last thing you’d assume was the problem lol

hard to believe non ferrous strings even exist, and surely you’d have to go out of your way to buy some

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I used to play in church band (congregation of about 1000 people), we would often choose the epic song with all the emotion to do a key change in and drat it hits hard if you’re looking for that emotion thing

the OG easy by the commodores has a key change and i’ll never really know if faith no more abandoning the key change was a good idea or not. FNMs version is perfect so maybe it was good to leave it out

Jonny 290 posted:

never key change that is cursed boomer poo poo
what about if we do multiple key changes during the whole song

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
normally when you add extra notes in the arpeggiator it’s an octave up but on the one in ableton you can choose different interval so I put in 7 semitones (a fifth) and clamped them into a key and .. drat that’s fun to play with

I let my partners daughter loose on this while I fiddled with the synth knobs and she had the fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
music juice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

killhamster posted:

been working on some remixes of a track & got a bug up my rear end to make a metal version. i think it's done but i wanna get more ears on it and make sure there's nothign weird or bad about it before i put it on real streaming services

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/satanic-panic-metal-ver/s-QKiJk5iBGRl

its fine, do it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a real finite amount of energy I can put into a song, or piece of music more correctly, before I just can’t any more, and so I’ve been filming content and making my own music videos for tiktok lol, sometimes with rodtronics graphics on top

it’s extremely pure jack of all trades master of none lol

end up with poo poo like this https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSdGcuQMx/?k=1 which is twice as long as it should be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

I’ve always thought rodtronics visuals would be perfect for synthwave tiktoks so I’m pleased to see you doing the thing.

if I were a decent artist I’d actually put all three together in a meaningful way, as it stands the visuals and music and gfx are totally unrelated

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m personally a huge fan of the free obx plugin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

ok i hope that was interesting!

it was mate, thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZTMlXjaANI

thought you might find this interesting 290, the device is literally a tuning fork

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

c music s lol i keep making low effort 2 minute tracks that aren’t terribly well arranged and fart out HARD towards the end

i really need to work on large scale arrangement

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSdv5VH6b/?k=1

same. but I am content with it, because that’s what I enjoy doing and any more than that is a chore and my brain can’t deal with more and I don’t mind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

i should probably get some samples i like better than the stock stuff on my groovebox but ugh, decision paralysis. anyone used any of the samples from mars samples? they’re on sale again.

I think I got that pack

it's paralysingly large

I had great intentions to fill up my groovebox with samples, but I kind of fell into using a DAW instead

drat I regret selling my synth :cry: I would actually buy another just the same, but I can't afford it lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pure obxd plugin (it free)

use this bad boy constantly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I personally think it’s very worthwhile limiting yourself to a simple synth like that (for a while) can do a lot for understanding just how much you can get out of a simple synth and the huge variety of sounds you get from a couple oscillators going into a decent filter and envelope

that synth in particular is nice because it’s got detune but also spread which means the different voices have a slightly different tune and then you’ve got env/filt/glide slop to apply to each voice so you get this really wide sound

plus it’s the synth used at the start of “jump” by van haven and it’s the default sound that it starts with and playing an octave chord in lower registers sounds so god drat fat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/thmkYE-6fTs

also for fun watch this for some background on why the synth was such a highly regarded beast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

with the body of the patch and the rhythmic notes I half expected it to be some sorta west coast thing. interesting

the rhythm part is arpeggiated (stock ableton arp) and I muck around with the sync rate over the song which might account for some of what you heard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

interesting, I should really play with some more off-the-wall sequencers though idk how well that’ll go alongside a tracker

here’s something I dropped a while ago and “””finish”””ed up today

AWFUL NOISES WARNING

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/scung

I think the best I can describe it as is some sorta lovely industrial

im not happy with it lol it’s pretty crummy and underbaked

lol it was ok. I liked "I should really learn how to name things"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

drat I regret selling my synth :cry: I would actually buy another just the same, but I can't afford it lol

they released the same synth I had but as a mini keyboard version and the retail is under half of what the new one was...

a mini keyboard IS bogus, BUT, maybe I could learn to live with it, and could always use another keyboard, and the one thing that put me off from the first one was the size, because it was built like a tank, it was BIG and HEAVY, and while I carry in my mind the dream of still playing live (but as time goes on I wonder if I am just too pathetic to do so), I can easily use that excuse to defend the purchase of this..

the other option is the not-quite-as-small but much smaller pad version which once again could be driven by midi but has some pads with aftertouch..

man I am dreaming again lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it suffers from a little bit last gen in it's UI and tbh it's designed to be used live and so a lot of the decisions about the way it works is to do with setting up a system for playing live.

there is a LOT of good in there, and lite comes with a real nice selection of drum sets and you can do a lot with the lite version

(it's all I have, used to run :filez: of older versions but got lite free with some hardware so just use that)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

4lokos basilisk posted:

anyway personal life hack that i try to abide by: if you want gear, go check out some used listings at around 100-200$ and see if something really inspires you. there's some really weird stuff out there and often it's sold for a pittance

edit: until that fucker hainbach finds out, buys all the available stock, makes a video of it on youtube and then MYSTERIOUSLY the prices go up

hainback owns

also he’s one of the few experimental musicians that make music that’s enjoyable to listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

sometimes i get sad thinking that not many people at all will hear me or my music. i see it as a confirmation of my existence, something to point to and say that as far as N people know, i was there and did something of value

it’s kind of like how so many people have seen and appreciated the corruption stockpiles i did for vinesauce. and while im honored to make so many people laugh i still want to reach those highs of appreciation and presence

yet at the same time there are really cool creators and people whose work i admire who should really be more well known and get more eyes in them, and it’s sad to think that they aren’t being given their due (way i see it, anyway). so maybe this is something that’s just my own problem

prolly just :therapy: tbqh

I feel the same way at times, and tbh I don't really know how to reconcile it either, other than kind of not trying to think like that too much. validation never lasts as long as it should imo lol.

my music will probably never be good for more than a couple people to ever like it, but I enjoy making it, and while it's disappointing that so few people end up validating stuff that I am proud of, I'll be more disappointed if the reason I share something is for validation, rather than just because I am proud of it.

and if you keep working on it, you'll keeping becoming more and more proud of your work because it'll get better