Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

alexandriao posted:

Anyone have any articles on like, synthesizer theory or explanation or something? I didn't find anything worth reading ;-;

Andrew Huang has a good 20ish minute video on modular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWslSTTkiFU

Look Mum No Computer But More Serious-Ish has like 2 channels on this stuff; and while the form-factors are different from vcvrack and eurorack the fundamentals are the same https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-QuVLhCc4hmJaiLSCMwcw

If you're in VCV Rack land it's dope because you don't have to shell out $90 every time you need an envelope generator, you just right click a few times

effortedit:
Modular is all about automation. You often have a bunch of inputs and outputs and can wire things together however you please.

Rack 1.x now ships with a default patch that makes sound. Typically patches have at least:
- a voice (VCO (voltage controlled oscillator))
- an amplifier (VCA)
- some way to get pitch data (control voltage) into your VCO's "tune" parameter
- some way to get "play this note" data (a "gate" or a "trigger") into your VCA's amplitude parameter. Gates sustain over a period of time, while triggers are short blasts.
- a way to turn a gate or trigger into a curve (so you can change the amplitude over time with a gradient, instead of MAX LOUD and MAX QUIET), this duty can be done by an envelope generator or a function generator and even some sequencers.

You'd have a midi keyboard send gates (send a control voltage until i let go of the key), but something like a drum sequencers end up being triggers because you want to play that wicked sweet kick drum sample till the very end once you hit the button

So you might have a patch that's like

MIDI2CV
VCO
ADSR (a type of Envelope Generator)
VCA
Mixer/Speakers

MIDI2CV Gate -> Envelope Generator Trig/Gate input
MIDI2CV Pitch -> VCO Pitch input
VCO Audio Out -> VCA Audio In
EG Output -> VCA Amplitude
VCA Audio Out -> Mixer/Spakers

Pitch in/out is probably going to be labeled V/Oct because in eurorack 1 volt = 1 octave.

kaboofa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

alexandriao posted:

Dang, thanks for that video. It's the same stuff I was reading last night but I feel like it stuck a little bit better

You're welcome! I love nerding out about this stuff.

alexandriao posted:

So one system I remembered about is called Pure Data, I didn't do much with it but it has a really interesting presentation and workflow, there's two good videos on it here:

https://youtu.be/FkmMzqohsDo

E: now I remember why I dislike VCV Rack, half the dials aren't labelled so I have zero idea what I'm doing :v:

If Rack is Lego bricks, PD is the tools you need to make plastic injection molds.

a neurotic ai posted:

I've been using FL for the last 7-8 years and I get periodic existential anxiety that everybody else I know who makes oontz oontz music uses ableton.

Then I remember I've got harmor and they don't

Don't get anxiety over toaster brands! They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

While Live is catching up, I think FL Studio still has a better workflow for automating parameters.

Zaxxon posted:

You might also like supercollider, which has a lot of similar functionality but works more like a regular programming language

Yesssssssss. You can use good ole diff to compare different versions of a supercollider patch. Good luck trying to do that in PD or Max/MSP

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

Zaxxon posted:

I mean even just reading a supercollider file makes more sense than a complicated Max or PD patch. I made a sample slicer in Max/MSP a long time ago and it worked real good but it was just an incomprehensible pile of crossing lines after a point, and that was with me trying to make everything sub patches and all that poo poo.

I look at Max/MSP/Gen like duct-tape for Ableton Live. Don't really use it, but boy am I glad it's there when I need it.

toiletbrush posted:

I ordered an audio interface a few weeks ago (ExpertSleepers ES-9) so I can finally plug my eurorack monstrosity into my Mac in a somewhat sensible fashion but it's still not arrived, and I've not touched my modular since because it feels wrong somehow

On the other hand my AE modular kit finally arrived. I've only had about an hour to play with it but managed to do this fun little track...it's all the AE, no external fx or anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5OLoBr-2nw

Whoa, that's rad. Are you doing it DIY style?
I've been eyeing the ES-9, but ended up with a Zoom instead. Let us know how it goes!

My current setup is this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1126967
Plus a Behringer Neutron
Plus a Befaco I4 and an Endorphin.es Milky Way (WHICH BOTH GOT DELIVERED TODAY!!! WOO!!)

e: yikes. thinking about how much Ii've spent on music stuff kinda bums me out, but then i remember how much fun i've had jamming

kaboofa fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 9, 2020

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

Eurorack people: My life was changed today. Get some knurlies. Not having to grab a screwdriver (even though it's right there on the mug on the shelf) is shockingly convenient, specially if you still shuffle modules around.

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

Achmed Jones posted:

how do you play a modular? like I get how you hook a bunch of stuff up, but how do you make a melody? are there sequencer modules and sampler modules? and then you can choose to route a pot or keyboard or whatever into your oscillators frequency input for unsequenced stuff?
Yep. All of those things. Sequencers, samplers, modules that convert midi to control voltage, and a ton more that I'm forgetting about.

Achmed Jones posted:

is the idea that you can basically make a custom synth at home, but you have to buy everything you want separately? like a sort of middle ground between buying a synth kit and buying something off the shelf?

Yup. There are a lot of modules that come as kits, too. Big homebrew/diy scene.
There are even semi-modular synths that have an internal signal flow, but give you patch points to change the flow.

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

Sample+Hold -> Pitch Quantizer = loads of fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhUjti1WZwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

rchon posted:

not in any meaningful way (as in, ni's black friday level discounts)

Back in 2012 (ugh that was 8 years ago) I got a 25% deal on Live 8, it came with a free upgrade to Live 9.
Highest discount I ever saw was 30%.