Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

my approach to anything i make is “it’s been done before, and by someone better and smarter than you”. because the truth is that there’s a finite amount of combinations and permutations out there, and there are so many people who make music with so much time spent before you that the bottom of the barrel has been worn away to dust.

nothing you make is going to be original or The Next Big Thing, so give up on that. just make whatever, because what you make doesn’t really matter to anyone except yourself.

this is more or less the direction I’m heading and it’s really only that I have a couple physical modules already and I want to work with one of them in a way that isn’t a huge pain in the dick

also people keep looking at dawless as a way to force themselves into creativity but you’re just gonna anxiety scroll on your phone anyway so no amount of physical hardware will save you if your brain is hosed

same. unless i'm doing something for a specific purpose (like someone asks me for a lil ambient loop to go in the background of a video or something) i'll do the Bill Watterson thing, i'll spend a couple hours improvising and record the whole session. when i'm done for the day, i delete the recording. occasionally i'll chop a piece out and send it to some friends for feedback, but taking away the pressure of "making a record" has made me infinitely happier with the act of making music. i have occasionally thought of live streaming the sessions though, but that feels like too much work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

"making a record" is kinda pointless honestly, because...

...there's just so much competition that tracks and songs on their own don't shine. there's a reason most tunes people like these days are like themes or soundtracks, or introduced to them by something or someone they already like. they have a meaningful context that brings the music past "just a song".

i think different strokes for different folks. I don't get much joy out of making records, but i have a friend who does. He loves the whole process of forcing himself work within constraints. But to the same end, when he's done, he'll just release it for free/$1 downloads on bandcamp. He makes his own cassettes to hand out to his friends. That's where he finds joy. You can do a thing for the sheer love of doing the thing w/o having to worry about it being a way to make money or klout. gently caress anyone who says otherwise.