Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

idk, it's a clone of a synth that's over 40 years old, the fact that it _could_ sequence was probably cool back in the day. but it was a commercial failure, and ended up in bargain bins and pawn shops, then acid house happened after it'd already been discontinued bc people could get em for cheap and make cool poo poo

yeah the 80s were basically the loving stone age for long form composition so im just impressed people made albums with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont have enough aux cables to run all my modules into my mixer :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FUUUUuuuck touched something I shouldnít have and blasted the gently caress out of my ears

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

til mixers are dangerous

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

humble lil bundle

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

brain empty scrample egg. canít do a music

wish i could focus on it but work takes all your brain cells it sucks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

brain fucky

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

too much to get done, so nothing gets done

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

technically every song I make is about not being able to compose :haw:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ever spend an entire day mulling over a phrase in your head and get so sick of it that you just want your mind to shut up by the time you get home from work

yeah

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also Iíve realized that I have the musical equivalent of analysis paralysis and I wonder if thatís a tism thing or sth cause itís bizarre

four on the floor -> basic bassline -> oh no oh god uhhh what do I do

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really need to get a cheap desk to put my gear on, my poor back :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

finally have a desk for my simpfs

wiring poo poo up is an asspain. thatís one more point for daws. im sure this can be organized infinitely better but damned if i know how

also my back still hurts :negative: I need to find some sorta holder for the volcas, maybe even the td3

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oo that is a goodie good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I approb

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s I have the ragnarok online soundtrack stuck in my head again and now I wanna know what the hell instruments it uses and what genre itís considered cause that poo poo was goooooooooooooooooood

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what what is composer cloud what

ď25th anniversary sample cd converted compilationĒ doesnít bring anything up on google

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh hmmm I see

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

200 euro 🙀

it seems like a good device, but Iím not a serious-enough/making-money-enough musician to drop that much dough on it. i would definitely appreciate a good source for free or at least cheap samples, though! (and i mean i can always just sample stupid youtube videos so :v:)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: idk why Iím doing this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

here I made this in korg gadget

https://youtube.com/shorts/ULCAi_EqhbU?feature=share

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: did nothing today

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: am sick of tweaking this track so i'm calling it done

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/rotary

enoji

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

ok now that's what i'd call uneasy listening music haha

lmao yeah

it ended up being something you'd hear right before you get attacked by a metroid

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i should learn how to actually mix and master sometime

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

note to self, I should really get more dynamics on that bell/cowbell thing cuz man does it drive me nuts to just have that going the same way the whole time

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i can totally see that

i added what a kept expected in the track real quick

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/rotory-my-v/s-Xk5BYuKqKqR

made it private or whatever, but yeah i heard this version in my head while listening

lmao hell yeah

hm :thunk: a thought occurs to me

boss battle

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s in a loving godawful mood so Iím not making anything today sorry

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

by the way, holy cock????:

https://youtu.be/TNJzCaybzOk

look at all those goddamn tracks. so many tracks. thereís like one track per sample and/or plugin and the list is as wide as my thighs when I sit down

and yet rarely are more than six or seven on at a time. when thereís more than that itís an overblown mess. and I know drat well why there are so many tracks, itís because the composer wanted exacting control over the fx for each unique sound in the mix

but you donít need them! you donít need all those tracks

you can group samples and phrases under an instrument and use the bus for that specific instrument

you donít need all those tracks!!! stop it!! stop!!!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trackers arenít very big now, yeah. that is changing slightly with polyend and the dirtywave m8 but i see way more ableton than anything else these days.

anyway hi I use renoise thatís as close as Iíve ever gotten to openmpt

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh drat thatís a whole orchestra

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:stare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

catching up on the NIN albums I missed and itís funny how hesitation marks feels so much like a modular synth jam

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this really makes me want to figure out how to express myself via music tho :( im mad and sad and I want my music to reflect that

4lokos basilisk posted:

i have got my tracks down to 4 stereo pairs
and two mono basses and its nice

i will still use more sounds in the hardware sometimes

stereo pairs?

and itís fine to have a lot of sounds in a work, just that IMO it gets tough to listen to when too much is happening at once and the track gets crowded as gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

by stereo pairs i mean one instrument/sound coming from
hardware in stereo. i use two hardware rack units as sound sources: roland xv5080 and korg ms2000r

i wish i had the attention span to micromanage sounds. instead i just have a template project with a ready mix that i tweak over time and sometimes adjust depending on need.

i am deliberately focusing mostly on arrangement of different parts harmonically and rhythmically instead of mixing recently

thatís actually what you should be doing. if the intent of mixing is to get each sound source to fit in their right spot without stepping on any other partís toes, the best way to do that is to not harmonically overlap sounds in the first place. mixing a bassline, a deep kick drum, a bright and noisy hi hat, a midrange snare drum, and a mid-high keyline is dead simple - they already donít overlap, or only very minimally so!

itís called premixing or whatever. arranging your music so that you donít have to move much around in the first place.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

good luck friend. at best I can make something that sounds cool for a moment, capturing some heart is a challenge.

it is very not easy. I can identify it when it shows up, but recalling it on demand is some arcane magic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

harmonic minor scale > minor pentatonic, but I still like pentatonic scales

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

enjoy this video of MAN WITH TEETH

https://youtu.be/Ghb3HttAovE

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i pres butan make compuper go boop

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Harmonic minor is tied with Lydian for me for fun modes.
Although mixolydian flat 6 is up there.
Its got a complicated name but it's all the white keys on a piano from G to G except instead of E you play E flat and it is instant Trent Reznor soundtrack

It's so good on a too much reverb piano sound

I like that same scale but with A sharp instead of B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

whole whole half whole half whole whole