Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Quit shakin' me, kid!

relative_q posted:

in 99% of cases players like weighted keys because it makes the instrument feel more like a real piano. if i'm playing a gig where i'm not trying to rip sick synth solos or anything like that, weighted keys are nice. if i am trying to rip those sick synth solos, i prefer semi-weighted actions, because they're much faster. keep in mind, though, that an electronic keyboard even with a fully-weighted action is never going to feel 100% like a real acoustic piano simply because the mechanics of the actions are so different.

As a piano player who learned on acoustic pianos, the difference between weighted and unweighted keys is kindof like comparing mechanical keyboards to "regular" keyboards. Like they're both fine and useful in their own way... but if I want to go fast and hit a lot of notes correctly at the right... timbre... without having to look at your hands, I prefer the weighted keys. There's just something about unweighted keys that make me expend more brain power on controlling the keypresses...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Quit shakin' me, kid!

My parents are moving to Texas, so they gave me my childhood piano and now I'm in for $300+ to see if this crappy mid-60s mass-produced console piano can hold a440 and/or if anything can be done about the inconsistent action.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Quit shakin' me, kid!

Guys, it's december! Time to break out the Christmas Music books! :3:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Quit shakin' me, kid!

Instead of buckling down and learning some Christmas pieces all the way through, I just bought two new books.