Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Someone forwarded me an amusing voicemail, so I did this. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/id-like-some-censoreding-names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCiPYkkVs8Y

Music for Pet Videos. Starring some of my non human room mates.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I need some help... I've started to want to put weird and obscure samples in my music, but I'm not sure how this works... can you just sample from broadcast radio and public access broadcasting without worry now, or could I get sued? Are there any good sample packs taken from the public domain of obscure movies and industrial films and such? I've found a few, but they're mostly just sound effects, which I will use, but aren't what I'm looking for right now.

I have this program called Radio I impulse bought years ago, which is a utility for sampling from internet radio... do I have to worry about getting sued if I use something like this? I imagine if I sampled RIAA stuff, I'd get sued to hell and back, but what about samples of backwoods shortwave radio preachers?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

my "really nice thing" is my pc, i call it the Pollybrute

That's how I feel about my computer, too... I mean, I actually use it to make music, and it's an HP prebuilt that reminds me of a Necron monolith - I only got this model because it was on sale, and the graphics card was worth close to the amount it cost. Plus it looks cool as poo poo.. too bad it only has one SATA port. :(

I really need to learn how to make music DAWless, but I'm just too damned lazy... you have to mess with it for hours, while recording, and then you listen to what you've recorded and try to "pan" for song ideas. Then, you have to learn how to play all these song snippets in real time, and in order, to record an actual song... This just seems like sooooooo much more work than just typing everything in the DAW and editing everything at will. :effort:

jony neuemonic posted:

dunno if you’ve seen these but “cool samples from public domain stuff” is their whole thing: http://lesproductionszvon.com/Memory_Collection.htm

This is exactly what I was looking for... just waiting for the courage to pay the $100 USD for all of it.. Thanks so much!!

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 23, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I also just finished this - I couldn't find a good sample before I got bored, so I made a patch that sort of sounds like a distorted vocal sample. It's named "The Call", after the call you always hate getting... whatever your call taking occupation. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/the-call

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

I wish I had the energy and brain cells to do more music stuff after work :/ im mentally wiped by the time I get home. don’t have the spoons

I find that often, after a hard, lovely day at work, I feel driven to make something.

For example, https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/track/01197666-remote-gas-station-pumps-are-down-sev-1 which was inspired by a day where I got an emergency call to a cardlock site because the pumps weren't communicating. (It turned out that someone had been loving with the network cabling, so they got billed for it)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

also i suppose there’s one good sign in my music making: i keep going back and listening to my tracks. tesseract and chugga! in particular. idk i like them even if they’re not technically good music and they have an intended audience of exactly one person. im always like “yeah gently caress it let’s throw on some icey chillbeats” when i see my profile on SoundCloud.

I often do this too... hell, I still listen to the tape I had made of "The Air Conditioner Graveyard" fairly often, and I think it sounds awesome, even though I had no idea what I was doing when I made it back in 2018 (and technically, I still don't). I'll sometimes listen to my other albums, too... most of it sounds good to me (with some tracks where I think, "I released *that*?!?!?!"), but I can't tell if it's actually good, or if my taste in music is really bad.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

one of my biggest problems tho is that a large chunk of the music I listen to and have been influenced by (I guess) is from video games.

Then let this influence you. It's one of my favorite albums, and it's weird as gently caress. https://archive.org/details/lf074mp3

Writeup about the band here - https://lethargicramblings.wordpress.com/2019/11/14/the-bizarre-warped-reality-of-five-starcle-men/

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

NonzeroCircle posted:

Renoise is great for chopping up Amens (and other breaks too...i guess... But why would you)

Why would you not?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/wait-a-minute

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/eeeny-ooony-wanah

I seem to be incapable of stopping.. just when I think I'm all out of ideas and done with this poo poo, I'll go on my computer, start looking for a MIDI drumbeat to start with, and more crappy music is born unto this Earth. Oh well.. I guess at least I have *something* to show for all this wasted time and money... even if it's not very good...

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 2, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Been doing a lot of this lately. And I wrote a song about it!! https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/screaming-into-the-void

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I should have been cleaning the basement, but I did this instead. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/cleaning-the-basement

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm feeling like my music is all sounding the same.... I have a general "routine" that I use to make songs, and it's starting to feel like the songs I make are getting really predictable. What sorts of things can I change in order to make things sound different? I've used some different time signatures, which helps, but I'm wondering what other settings, practices and things like that are fun to change around that make a difference in how the end product comes out.

I just got a new copy of "The Keyboard Grimoire", and before my old copy got wrecked, I would often pick a page at random and make a song based on it, and I plan to start this again, but I'm having trouble thinking of interesting ways I can change what I'm currently doing to make my music less predictable. Aside from taking lots of psilocybin, what else can I do different?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Well, generally I start with a 64 step drum/instrument 1/instrument 2 pattern that I generate with the Beatstep Pro and/or draw notes for manually in the DAW, after plinking away at a MIDI keyboard until I get something I can use. Then I'll copy and paste that pattern a few times, copy it to some additional layers (change parts to chord sections when needed or whatever), have parts repeat where they need to, transpose some parts up and down if it doesn't end up sounding lovely, reduce and increase the number of instruments when needed, edit the sequences to sound different from the other layers, etc. Then I do the intro and outro. But it's all generally based on what I come up with in those initial patterns.

What usually ends up happening is a few bars of intro, then the song kicks in, goes for a while, cuts down to a couple instruments, builds back up, goes on, then the ending part at about three minutes.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

4lokos basilisk posted:

one thing that's definitely true is that your songs will be predictable for you, because you wrote them and you know your style. predictability is not necessarily a bad thing either - lots of electronic music is very predictable in structure so that djs can mix stuff together more easily

Yeah.. I guess that's true - I listen to them so many times while I'm working on them that I'd probably think that even if I was working on some sort of 6/66 time avant garde jazz or something. :D I'd like to make more different parts for my songs, but when it comes to making different "verse"/"chorus"/"bridge" type parts, the parts often sound like they belong in three different songs or something!

4lokos basilisk posted:

but challenging yourself and working in different ways is good too, and once again i would recommend to read "making music" by dennis desantis, because there you have literally tens of easy creativity/composing routines that you can try out in your situation

I just noticed it's a free E-pub download, so I'll check this out for sure!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

wanting to change how and what you write because you think you need to be different is finding disappointment in music. wanting to change how and what you write because you want to see and try new compositions is finding enjoyment in music. both of them have the same cause and end up in the same place but at least one of them makes you happy

I'm more interested in seeing what sorts of different songs I can make... one of the reasons I started exploring music in the first place was because I was curious what kind of music someone like me would make (and kinda hoping that there's a Gomba Reject Ward Japan in there that I just need to figure out how to access).

Pollyanna posted:

and they’re not that different in the end. just a matter of how you look at it.

It's that whole intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation thing. They can both be useful, but I find that I need intrinsic motivation to *really* get going.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

That was pretty cool. I need to start making more videos, but besides splicing clips together and adding effects, this is a total black art for me.

I bought a program called Visual Synthesizer on a sale recently, and was messing with the presets using a song I put together when I was supposed to be cleaning the basement, so I'd do some cleaning, some song, some cleaning, some weed, some song, some song, some cleaning, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiPB92CZ2PQ

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

echinopsis posted:

haha I like the clean then song then clean then song technique and the results are good

The basement looks only marginally better.. I wish I could get this intrinsically motivated about cleaning.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I recently had the courage to try out an effects pedal (Proco Rat... yeah, I hadn't bought one yet) in a guitar store, and one guy actually thought I sounded good!

I really need to start taking guitar more seriously.. this new pedal + reverb sounds really cool.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Jonny 290 posted:

pedal land is fun but it can be serious moneytrap

Yes.. I know!! I once bought a pedal that was about $350 (Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar) in 2014 if I remember the price correctly. I usually stick to the cheaper ones.

I don't buy them that often, but over the years since I've been attempting guitar, I've accumulated several of them. My most prized possession is a BOSS HM-2 that I bought for $50 from a guitar teacher in 1996.

I've only ever used my own guitar playing on a track once, and it's https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/track/doomscrolling-like-a-bastard. I messed it up, too. I still have a lot of trouble playing in time, although I've been practicing guitar and bass with a drum machine more lately.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 5, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Finally, after having the unlabeled cassettes of "The Air Conditioner Graveyard" for like two years, and getting the labels and covers done early this year, I've come up with the motivation to start putting them together for shipping and sent out some. I have to cut the middles out of the tape labels with scissors, since the printing place couldn't do it, so they look a little handmade, but I think it adds to the charm. I've only been sending them to people I know personally so far, but I'm thinking of putting them up for sale on my Bandcamp page at some point for $4.20 + shipping. I had around 40 cassettes made, and the total price for everything was around $275 Cdn. I'm probably losing money in the end, but I would have wasted that money on something else that was completely stupid, so I don't really care.

There's also a Sunrise Records in the mall here, and they sell stuff by local artists, mostly CDs - I wonder if they'd stock a couple copies of my tape....

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 8, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

aw frig aw dang it posted:

It's super cool that you made tapes of your music! It sounds like a lot of fun

It is! Although, next time, I'll make sure I have all the packaging planned out and have the tape plant make completed tapes.

There's just something awesome about cracking open a package with a bunch of identical tapes, putting one in the player, pressing "PLAY", and hearing something you did.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Achmed Jones posted:

I got my NTG-1 shotgun mic, and it's not any better for my purposes than my NT1. So I'm returning it, and now my "gently caress around music toy" budget has increased by a bit over $200

Here's something I've always been curious about.. it seems like mic electronics are really stupidly simple - I once bought a really good PC mic for like $15 at Radio Shack in the early 2000s. So, what in the ever loving Christ do you have to add to one to make a mic that costs like thousands of dollars actually worth the money?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Tomorrow, I have to run a call where I have to stay overnight in a small town in remote northern Alberta. They have a pizza place, but they don't have any beer or weed stores, so I'll have to bring some along. I'll also be bringing my Unos, a Microfreak, and a Tascam DP-006 recorder (with no idea how to properly use any of them). Also packing the Volca Modular, just in case I get motivated to learn that, too.

I'm hoping the minimal setup gets me to actually make something with hardware. I've never really done anything with all my hardware stuff besides a few dumb jam tracks.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 11, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Jonny 290 posted:

that sounds like a real fun adventure and now i kinda want to book a hotel room night an hour away and bring my laptop and my midi keys

Well, it would be more fun if the drive there wasn't around six hours... theoretically, all I have to do when I get there is swap an old hard drive into a new computer and that's it, but sometimes, simple things like this can go really, really wrong. On the way back, I have to stop at three places to install a software update, which is supposed to take less than 10 minutes per place, but as usual, I'm worried that I'm going to accidentally gently caress them up in some horrible, terrible way.

I'll also have my laptop, but it's from like 2013, so it'll run Reaper and Renoise just fine, but I'm a little limited in VST choice - I generally just use romplers on it. I also got my old LPK-25 back, which will go in my laptop bag as soon as I find a USB-B cable for it...

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 11, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Well, this sucks... after driving for about 6 hours, I get here at 4:15, because I'm told that the call is at 6. I get here, rest a bit, go to site, and I'm not supposed to be there until about 9, and I just can't do anything productive if I have a call that I need to worry about. Then, I didn't get back to the hotel until about 10:30. I don't have to get up *too* early, but today has just loving killed my motivation to do anything productive.

Anyways, I've started screwing around with a program I impulse bought on a sale called Visual Synthesizer. It does visuals for sound you feed at it, and you can mess around with how the image is generated. I've just been messing around with presets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGMXfH-QuI.

I want to get more into making videos - I bought a horse mask for this purpose, but I'm still too shy to actually appear in a video.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 12, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
How do you make drum patterns in weird time signatures? I'm most used to doing them in 4/4, and when I try to do it in other time signatures, I can never get them to sound like they're properly looping.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been not feeling the music making lately, but I somehow managed to finish this today. I actually played live keyboard for one of the instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/the-bdelloid-rotifer-will-outlive-us-all

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 7, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i finished my piano song by adding on a bunch of stuff that makes me think of pirates or something.
https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/memories-of-the-sea
It's pretty good. It makes me think of a naval battle where they fought valiantly.

I recently went through a big move, and just finished this. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/moving-day

I did a few different things with it, and I think it turned out well. Using AI to generate "album covers" is also awesome.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 17, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Welp.. almost done the nasoalmo.org challenge (an album in November). I decided to do a John Dowland cover for the album, because why not?

I still need song titles and a name for the album, but the music is essentially done.

Edit: It's done. https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/album/spleen-of-green

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 17, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

4lokos basilisk posted:

came here to shamelessly shill that we are doing a livestream in like 30 minutes of some krautrock jams and space rock and experimental ambient and absolutely no talking

here on bandcamp https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/live/telecharger-livestream-77 (but also a twitch link is in the description)

[CENSORED] I missed this. Your live streams are really good, and I wish I could have seen this one live.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

You jerk, you need to post this *before* you perform, so I can tune in. :P I need inspiration for when I eventually start doing something like this.

Anyways, I thought I was done making music for the month, but then this happened: https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/the-hormelian-loop-motivator-engine

A stupid track needs an appropriately stupid name.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 24, 2022

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

i can hear the seeds of good in this. i can tap my feet to it, i can enjoy it, but I don’t get understand it. it’s pretty formless, and doesn’t have a specific goal or something that it “should“ be. appropriate, i suppose

It is what it is, and I have no idea what genre it would be either. But I know I like it.

I have a similar issue... I have no idea what genre I fit in, but I keep making it.

Here's a couple more dumb tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/a-fat-cat-ate-my-lasaga

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/celestial-afterimage

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

4lokos basilisk posted:

click if you maybe like krautrock and can stand a guy messing around live with 0 preparation except this dinner i am going to quickly make

I actually caught it this time. Hooray!!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just made this.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/fighting-with-device-drivers

I love it when the AI gets totally confused generating an image.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been trying to work more with my hardware, but it seems like whenever I actually feel like working with it, that's when Lola is feeling super affectionate, and walks all over everything while I'm trying to work on it!! If I shut the door, she sits right outside the door and protests loudly.

Anyways, I just did this. When I was recording the input from the sq-64, I accidentally had the drum track receive all midi, but it ended up sounding kinda cool, so I kept it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_-KrHwFHs

February Album Writing Month is coming up... is anyone else planning on joining in? I've done it for the past three years, but I'm not sure if I have it in me this year.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I like it. It kinda makes me want to fire up the hardware and start jamming myself.

I was messing around with the SQ64, and this came out. For some reason, I decided to try adding some bass and guitar to it. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/bios-update-failure

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been meaning to do this forever, but I finally actually recorded a song with hardware and without using my DAW (beyond taking the file from the DP-006 and adding reverb and tape effects).

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_...=social_sharing

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

NonzeroCircle posted:

Anxiety collab?

I'd totally contribute to such a thing, except... you know....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

hell, i got a little bit of transcription practice in: https://on.soundcloud.com/yo1hq

Transcription is kinda tedious... or at least it was when I tried to transcribe "Ho Ho Ho it's Christmas Time" for my contribution to last year's Christmas album. I had to figure it out one note at a time... just trying various notes until I got the right one, then moving on to the next one. There's probably an easier way.

I thought I wouldn't be able to do FAWM this year, but it turns out, I was wrong. It's almost done... but then I'll need song titles. The results so far are here - https://write.fawm.org/@spacehoers