Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ooh, like I said on Twitter, I'm in. Ground floor for exegesis thread. My Hebrew and Aramaic are strong and real and all of our friends. :) We are jumping in with Bereishit, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Heck yeah, why/how would we follow laws if there was no world?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm curious if there's a philosophy behind translating 1:1 as "When God began to create the heaven and earth..." as opposed to "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Ancient Hebrew doesn't have some of those nice modern conveniences like punctuation, so I wonder how the translation choice might affect the interpretation.

Yes, here's an article about the Alter translation which goes into that translation choice.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yes, there are lots of modern commentaries!

There is a mnemonic to talk about the different levels of textual reading.
Pardes - (an orchard)
Pshat - simple meaning of the text;
Remez - contextual understanding;
Drash - homiletical readings;
Sod - secretive, deep meaning.

Both modern and older commentaries could address the text at any and all of these levels, though obviously hidden secrets are harder to write about openly. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by scientific but there are myriad Torah commentaries from different angles.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yes, u means "and." It's u and not v because of the following phoneme.

One difficulty they are dealing with in the text is that -ayim isn't just a plural ending, it denotes that something is doubled. Which makes sense with this creation myth of two waters, two heavens, etc. Like in English, the word water takes on some weird grammatical features. The rabbis of the Talmud probably realized that water and seas were eventually all connected, but that there's still a practical difference between different bodies of water. That's my initial thought as to why R. Yosi offers that explanation.

Re the science question, I don't think the people commenting on this text saw it as literal, so they didn't try to make myths reconciled with scientific understanding. I think those kinds of approaches where people try to make everything line up under one materialistic literal interpretation of truth occur later in history.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, I think no one is really served by approaching the Bible as a scientific or historic text. (That said there are some really hilarious incorrect statements about how nature works by Rashi at times, usually when he starts trying to give advice on agriculture and plants.
Yes, every generation is using the tools they have to explain the text, including our own education, culture and context. Statements of the rabbis about science aren't usually religiously relevant in any way. When they are (like the rabbis' understanding of the role of bees in the creation of honey) the conversation can get very weird and convoluted.

quote:

the Exodus itself almost certainly didn't happen anything like the way the book says it did. That's not important, though.)

I'll take issue with this, though it may be a matter of terminology between us. Myth is true. It can be so very true that it would be impossible for it to be historically true.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Angels are definitely more badass and terrifying than birds... And I'm a huge fan of birds.

I'm glad we are low volume today because I'm running around getting ready for Tot Shabbat (little kids' Shabbat services), and the Purim carnival coming up. :) Party!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just skimmed today because I'm in Purim preparation land. (Carnival went great! Adult reading+party tonight!) Mar Rattus, could you please bold or include my name or something if you want something translated? That way I won't feel like I'm butting in with the Yerushalmi or whathaveyou... You're doing great without it, I'm also happy to help. :jewish:

Taanit is one of my favorite tractates because it frankly addresses the question of "what should a community in crisis do?"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Let's do it, I just did a similar story with a bat kol (heavenly voice) (whose judgement gets accepted) in my Talmud group.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know what the more infamous living creatures from later are. We'll have to find out!

Yes, sheretz (pl shratzim) is a creepy crawly.

Whoops, being called away, more later.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, nefesh chai is like "animate life" or "enlivened souls" depending on context, chayyot is like "living things" or "lives."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think they are fighting against the idea that G-d's image would be multiple - either because of angel consultation or because Eve and Adam are both made in G-d's image and are different from one another. Are women not made in G-d's image, or is there more than one G-d? The commentary's position is as follows:
Hashem consults with angels on human design
Then it says G-d makes them in our image. Singular verb doing the action.
In the case of the first people, Adam formed from ground, Eve formed from him BUT from then on, men and women are both created in a singular divine image.

Chavah means breathing/living but I'm not sure it's useful for that argument above. Maybe because she's made from a rib?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The luminaries being cursed on erev Shabbat refers to the 6 things taken away from Adam. Look at Bereishit Rabbah 12:6.

(Fwiw we intersected my Talmud chevruta with that Sanhedrin yesterday, we just learned that daf Sunday!)

I think the double work that Rashi refers to there is about the manna but I don't have time to check atm.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I love that Sanhedrin. LABOR SNAKES are the best.

Unfortunately, the translation Sefaria has of 12:6 is:

Does 'his brilliance' refer to the luminaries, or is that in a non-translated bit?

Anyway, where were we?

And here we have the apparent second creation story.

This is the bit which the Sefaria translation reads as 'Such is the story' I think.

Menachot is a Talmudic cite, and it says...

And here we get an argument based on letter shapes. The letters heh/hey and yud/yod are used in this phrase, the Rabbis say, because of the symbolism involved in their shapes, and the letter beh/bet was used to indicate that two worlds were made - the world now and the world to come.

I'm surprised - this doesn't seem to include the Rashi explanation I've read before of the non-chronological nature of these two chapters. Basically - chapter 1 is a broad overview, and chapter 2 is filling in details; there are apparent contradictions, but Rashi will attempt to resolve them as they come up, and the Torah is not intended as a history text that is in perfect chronological order - sometimes stuff happens out of or der for reasons of teaching various lessons, or just because it wants to talk about something else at that moment.

E: The brief version of this explanation is on verse 8, I just misplaced where it showed up in my mind. It'll come up a few times throughout Genesis.
I read 6 things taken from Adam HaRishon: brilliance, life, height, fruit of the earth, fruit of the tree, luminaries.