Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

"Dammit Bobby, were you born in a barn?"
i wouldve never thought to put another wing right there but im no aeronautics engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Shadow0 posted:

This is the power of having your seat forward and your tray in the upright position.

Unironically this + keeping your seatbelt on and properly tightened is really solid advice for surviving an air incident. Of the three Asiana 214 fatalities, one of them would have survived had she worn her seatbelt. A shitload of non-accident aviation injuries are from people bashing their heads on the overhead console during unexpected turbulence because they took off their seatbelt once they hit cruising altitude and the seatbelt sign was off. :eng101:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

These airliners return to the shores that they hatched every year to lay their eggs.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
https://www.deviantart.com/sergeantrooper/art/TF-Turning-Japanese-2-374313034

I tried to get something inline but I gave up cuz phones suck.

It's work safe don't worry

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Eldercain posted:

I don't get it but I don't think it's work safe.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Eldercain posted:

where the gently caress do you work.

"I'm looking forward to retirement, you know? Get a little land, maybe farm some. Actually know what, I think I'm going to retire right loving now."

"See over there? That's what happens to snitches, Paulie. You ain't a snitch, right?"

"This stop is for Jambi. Please exit now for Jambi station. Doors are closing, next stop is TJ Lumut station."

"We should move this, right? Like it doesn't belong here?"
"You know what? I think it looks kind of nice. Leave it."

"Sir I understand that the Auto Zone was about to close but this is strictly a 40 MPH area. Also you can't park on top of another car. I understand it's full of fast food garbage but we still frown upon it in the state of Tennessee."

"Hi, yes, I'd like to check in. Reservation is under Zest Air, room for 25."

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 7, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"The river gets really narrow here so we're just going to break the craft into three parts and go up separately, okay everyone?"

"I'll never let go, Jack!"

"I HEARD WHAT YOU SAID JAVIER I'M GONNA COME OVER THERE AND KICK YOUR rear end."

"I have good news and bad news. The good news is we've landed and we're all safe."
"Well what's the bad news?"
"The entire town came out to see that you've all poo poo yourselves."

"Nice landing, idiot, now the slide is going to be in the trench and we're all going to get our feetsies wet."

"Lol guise what r u doin behind the bleachers, smokin' pot?"

"I told you the earth is round, would the plane bend like that if it was flat? No, it wouldn't. loving idiot."

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

A loving plus

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"gently caress, I knew Taco Bell was a bad choice before flying."

"Mondays, am I right?"

"This seems like a nice place to sit down, enjoy the view, and have some lunc-JESUS CHRIST."
"Hey, this is a really nice view, you don't mind if I join you, right?"

"You know...I could have sworn this airplane had a cockpit yesterday."

"gently caress your chain link fence, Airlink will have link supremacy!"
"gently caress you Airlink, I can stretch all the way to the goddamn road, your landing gear is going to eat poo poo way before then."
"Nuh uh!"
"..."
"...gently caress."

"Hi, my name is ERJ-145, I like traveling, backpacking, nature photography, hanging out with friends, and kitties."

French fried instead of pizza'd, had a bad time.

"Sir, we're going to have to ask you to step out of the airplane."
"What seems to be the problem, officer?"
"Well, see that tail section back there? It's filled with several tons of cocaine and we have a few questions for you about that."
"Oh that's not mine. I parked the rest of my airplane...somewhere else. That's someone else's tail section."
"Sir...please get out of the airplane. Now."

"Maybe in Siberian reeducation you learn to fly better, hm?"

"Man I am rekt after chopping all this wood, I'm just going to rest here for a second..."

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
One time we were out on detachment and one of the pilots went off the runway. When he got back to maintenance control he was wondering how to write up the incident and my buddy in avionics said to him "Just write it up as '4 wheel drive inop.' " This upset the lieutenant and caused the maintenance controller to pull my friend aside and told him, "That was funny, but when the pilot is in the room you shut the gently caress up and leave the jokes to me."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

13Pandora13 posted:

"Lol guise what r u doin behind the bleachers, smokin' pot?"

:eyepop:

How was this a "no fatalities" accident? Was it on autopilot and empty?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Blistex posted:

:eyepop:

How was this a "no fatalities" accident? Was it on autopilot and empty?

Mostly. The three test pilots were injured but survived. The A340...not so much.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

13Pandora13 posted:

"I'll never let go, Jack!"

Isn't this the Miracle on the Hudson?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Polaron posted:

Isn't this the Miracle on the Hudson?

It is!

This picture really shows how vital the excellent CRM of the flight crew was to survivability. They easily could have lost passengers to drowning, water that cold will lock up all but the most experienced swimmers without effective leadership and quick decision making to get people onto rafts immediately.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 7, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

13Pandora13 posted:

It's cool, the Royal Aviation Museum of Canada has a donor cockpit available. It even comes with its own engine!

https://i.imgur.com/MQoUjBFl.png

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

13Pandora13 posted:

No cockpit, 4 out of 5 stars.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Polaron posted:

the Miracle on the Hudson
was so sick of hearing about this

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

gary oldmans diary posted:

was so sick of hearing about this

:emo:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Thanks for this thread. Really cool pictures. The wife is a big fan of air crash investigations (mayday).
I wonder how much of these planes is reusable. And what are the costs of recovering one from a mountain, forest or something like that.
I guess it varies greatly from case to case?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tail docking is cruelty

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it can get a donor tail from a DC-10.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

13Pandora13 posted:

French fried instead of pizza'd, had a bad time.

Snow drifting?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Mister Mind posted:

Snow drifting?

Multitrack drifting

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I had an airplane put itself in a predicament once

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
This kills the plane

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

mrfart posted:

Thanks for this thread. Really cool pictures. The wife is a big fan of air crash investigations (mayday).
I wonder how much of these planes is reusable. And what are the costs of recovering one from a mountain, forest or something like that.
I guess it varies greatly from case to case?

So almost everything I've posted is a "hull loss", meaning that the plane is either 1. incapable of being repaired or 2. would cost more to repair than to write it off and buy a new one. Frequently parts are salvaged from craft. This has occasionally been a controversial practice when salvage has been sold from accidents with high loss of life, but typically high fatality also means there is no recoverable salvage anyway (besides metal recycling). One of the largest (Aviation) insurers, AIG, sells salvages hull loss craft as part of insurance recovery. Removal and breakdown costs are alllll over the place, generally if it's not in a relatively wealthy country in an accessible location recovery is limited to human remains and if applicable, data and voice recorders. The majority of air incidents are near airports and are relatively "easy" to recover wreckage but it's still in the order of 5 figures for a small largely intact plane to get hauled off somewhere. You see a lot of accident sites in developing countries being bulldozed and it seems shocking but realistically once they reclaim what they can of human remains and personal effects, large parts, samples for residue testing...there's not much else to be done. Disaster scenes can be major biohazard zones. :smith:

Accidents where the scene is basically plane dust are sad, but IMHO it's far, far worse to see total loss disasters with like...intact seats. Super high speed impacts, it's over before you feel anything. It is difficult to bury an empty casket but the alternative is far worse with non-survivable crashes.

Onto happier material, more planes in predicaments!

...I'm sure it'll buff out?

"gently caress you, trees.
How does it feel.
To get kicked.
Right in the face."

"JetPort is please to announce it's first in the industry door to door service for our First Class passengers."

*duuuunun*

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 12, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"Literally nobody is impressed you got it in the trench, Becky, Jesus."

"Last one in the water is a rotten egg!"

"Goddamn it TransAVIA, what have we loving said about littering on the side of the road?"

Seems like there could have been an easier way to build a bridge but okay.

The modular version of the II-62 was unpopular with Ilyushin's customer base; while many of them could disassemble the craft easily enough getting them back together proved to be as one nation described it, "a total bitch."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

best bale posted:

Just waiting patiently to cross

e:loving Imgur postpic is my best friend now

Anyone got info on this one? Looks like where I used to live (Hampton Roads) until a couple years ago, but I don't remember any news stories about it.

Also: Great thread, and some of these captions are fuckin' hilarious.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone got info on this one? Looks like where I used to live (Hampton Roads) until a couple years ago, but I don't remember any news stories about it.

It is definitely Naval Station Norfolk. They have at least one runway there, but I don't recall it being right on the middle of the road.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

2003, here's a archive of an article that ran about it: https://web.archive.org/web/20030412223903/https://www.pilotonline.com/breaking/br0306stu.html

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks! I can't imagine driving along I-564 on your morning commute, possibly before the sun's up, coming around the bend, and not only seeing that in your headlights but having to drive under it. :stare:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Vroooooom

https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1250861335728062468

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Dude was probably just using quarantine to finally land on the freeway like he's always wanted

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
And some rear end in a top hat still seriously tailgated him the whole time. :argh:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Can't imagine the sigh of relief after that forced approach.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Use your turn signal rear end in a top hat!

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
:britain: :britain: :nws: Nigel Farage :nws: :britain: :britain:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Push butan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKib4v_O2BA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Quebec drivers, man. Sheesh.

(Although Quebec drivers do have a deservedly bad reputation in Canada, you have to remember the "in Canada" part. When friends who drive come up from NYC they're all like "wow, drivers are so nice and chill up here" lol)