Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

That looked really smooth but I can't stop thinking about a story I read a long time ago about an airplane making an emergency landing like that but landed on top of a car, cutting both legs off a young girl sitting in the back seat.

edit- Nevermind, looks like it cut her legs but amputation wasn't required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

"Oh god, why does it smell like flop sweat inside my head?"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

"They told me I could become anything, so I became a funicular."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Swiped from the schadenfreude thread:

Which led to these classics:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What a pissweak suppression system*.

One thing the military got right is that it needs to fill the hangar with foam, fast, and do it even if the doors are open.

One thing they didn't get right was building a system which didn't gently caress up and just randomly release foam every now and then.

* This in no way diminishes the humour value of setting off the system to gently caress BA after losing you job. That's beautiful.

So as an insurance dude, OP, you must know: just how hosed are any of these aircraft after this happens? The BA one doesn't look too bad, but those jets buried up to the tip of their tail fins... eeesh.

(also wtf with that guy in the last pic using a snowblower (edit: fan?) on that stuff without so much as a dust mask, that can't be healthy :stare:)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Swiped from the schadenfreude thread:

Which led to these classics:

So as an insurance dude, OP, you must know: just how hosed are any of these aircraft after this happens? The BA one doesn't look too bad, but those jets buried up to the tip of their tail fins... eeesh.

(also wtf with that guy in the last pic using a snowblower (edit: fan?) on that stuff without so much as a dust mask, that can't be healthy :stare:)

This is almost certainly high-expansion form versus an aqueous film forming foam (AFFF) since it's in the hangar and as the above post mentions, fills the area INSTANTLY. AFFF is used for aviation firefighting (not in auto-deploy hangar systems though) and is the super hazardous PFOS/PFOA foams (and the reason groundwater on military air bases is loving undrinkable). AFFFs are also rather unfortunately the best firefighting material when jet fuel is in play, however, the idea is to remove oxygen and heat while trapping vapor as quickly as possible so while high-expansion is less effective on fuels overall, it is the better choice for enclosed spaces because of how it behaves.

They're not hull losses but they're certainly in for an incredibly pricey cleaning and some parts repairs for really sensitive instrumentation; a lot of it will depend on what specific foam is used (some are compatible with dry extinguishing agents, which would be less screwy with the avionics). High-expansion dry suppressant is what is used in data centers (with the idea being the data is salvageable after) but who even knows what the government bothers to pay for. :effort:

The BA exit impromptu foam party is hilarious (and I'm glad I'm not paying for it).

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

13Pandora13 posted:

This is almost certainly high-expansion form versus an aqueous film forming foam (AFFF) since it's in the hangar and as the above post mentions, fills the area INSTANTLY. AFFF is used for aviation firefighting (not in auto-deploy hangar systems though) and is the super hazardous PFOS/PFOA foams (and the reason groundwater on military air bases is loving undrinkable). AFFFs are also rather unfortunately the best firefighting material when jet fuel is in play, however, the idea is to remove oxygen and heat while trapping vapor as quickly as possible so while high-expansion is less effective on fuels overall, it is the better choice for enclosed spaces because of how it behaves.

Heathrow is an early adopter for PFOS free foams, so this should be nontoxic and safe to dilute into groundwater in either case.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Here's a pretty interesting one, although it's a bit different from what's been posted in the rest of the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBX7RP8OoXg

A botanist is exploring Death Valley and documenting plants found out in the desert when he sees the mangled wreckage of a plane in the distance. He decides to work his way towards it while continuing to document plants he sees along the way.

Despite the horrible state of the wreck, it turns out that there were no fatalities because it was a military flight and everyone on board bailed out with parachutes before it crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

teardrop posted:

Heathrow is an early adopter for PFOS free foams, so this should be nontoxic and safe to dilute into groundwater in either case.

There's been a lot of advancements in protein-based biodegradeable foams in the last few years. It's great (and very needed), but God only knows when they'll hit the point of quality, availability and price efficacy that will get the US Military to broadly adopt.

Environmental remediation and EV insurance is a whole different nightmare (and generally it's shockingly soft market pricing-wise, though certainly there's some classes that are "you'll take what we give you" competition level).