Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

In my line of work (high hazard insurance), I see a lot of wrecked aircraft. Most people are surprised to learn that a lot of air incidents are survivable so it's not as depressing as it sounds.

I've discovered though that 0 fatality major accidents are often oddly hilarious. Something about jet craft in particular in places where they don't belong is just endlessly funny to me in a really silly way, they just look so dumb in places where airplanes don't normally (/shouldn't) go.

"Hello sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, J-"
"JESUS CHRIST!!!"
"Why yes, so you've already heard the Good Word."

"They told me I could be anything I wanted to be.
So I became an inchworm."

"Guys don't to out further, I forgot my wing floaties!"

"Ah poo poo, I fell asleep at the beach, does my back look bad?"

DURR I'M A PLERN, GOING 2 BEECH

Tokyo Drifting: Masterclass Edition

Post airplanes in predicaments! "Happy" no loss of life only accidents only, please.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

*Presses call button* "Excuse me, ma'am, is that...normal?"
"Yes ma'am, blowing off half the loving wing after you ram it into the ground is to be expected."

*boop*

FACE DOWN.
rear end UP.
THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE TO F...ail at landing an aircraft properly.

"Fuckfuckfuck I wrecked my dad's jet, he's gonna kill me."
"Dude just throw some branches on it, nobody is going to notice."
Everyone:

"Excuse me, has anyone seen my rear end? I seem to have misplaced my rear end."
(side note, aborting takeoff too late and burning an $85m piece of aviation history to ash is a profoundly dick move)

ENGINEWHEEL.

" I'm just feeling really overwhelmed and I just want to nap, please chill out, I'm feeling so attacked right now."

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 5, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"Oh what a lovely day for a fli-BLLLARGHASDAFGHJK"

"Don't mind me, I'm just a big dumb rear end in a top hat going on a Sunday drive!"

*sigh* "Can you don't."

Good news: you mom's Embraer dildo is finished.
Bad news: it crashed in Ottawa.

"Please exit via the emergency slide, sir!"
"..."
"..."
"...gently caress you."
(seriously what the gently caress):

"Am I in the lines? I feel like I'm crooked. Let me back out and try again."

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 5, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

posting DC-10's is cheating

DC-10s where nobody died is absolutely not cheating.

This is most excellent.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

they're friends! :kimchi:

The 'shops are a totally different direction from what I had in mind but honestly the best possible development. :love:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

This.

As funny as these are I can’t believe some of these crashes had ZERO fatalities. Some look like they should have at least taken out the captain or some unlucky bastards in first class or something.

Also, insert Daily Crash 10 joke here

Cross my heart, everything I've posted was no in-craft or ground fatalities! There are some largely intact accidents with funny endpoint positions that do fall into that "a couple of really unluckly souls" category (eg Daghestan DAG372) and I didn't post them because it's not in good taste. There's also things like Air Bagan JAB011 were you'd look at it and assume it was a total loss of all lives and it's like 2 people and it's mindblowing how so many others could have walked away from what was basically burned out rubble.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 6, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

and the 767 is a big rear end glider

in case you are wondering how you can even land a plane that big without the engines going is that a neat little fan pops out that spins up with the incoming air and provides at least partial hydraulic power

And the manual overrides for the landing gear is all designed so (hopefully) gravity and the jolt from the door opening is enough to lock it in place! Frequently, not all of the gear locks though, as it ends up the manual release for a bigass aircraft bay door isn't super easy to manipulate (obviously you don't want it to be open-able by an accidental jostle) and it ends up being opened too gradually to get a good hard drop. Still helps to have some landing gear though, and pilots do get some training on how to land with screwed up landing gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKrA8KjYvg

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"Do you guys feel that? It feels breezy in here to me."

"This works for the album cover, right?"
(this was a test flight and crashed intentionally)

"Beep beep, motherfucker."

"Please come back to the boat. You're being ridiculous."
"No gently caress you, Greg, you said we were going fishing."

"Okay so I know I'm technically a cargo carrier right now, but hear me out, coat of black paint: attack helicopter."

Shittiest. Water slide. Ever.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

This is my building.
Get out.
You don't even fit.

{SUBMARINE MODE: ACTIVATE}

"I went to the market to get you a rose, but they were out, so I made one out of my face":

"I specifically asked for the opposite of this."

"Wheeeee!"

"Mom watch me jump off the rope swing! Mom! Mom watch!"

"Come on, come on, just flap, loving wings WHY WON'T YOU WORK."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

This is the power of having your seat forward and your tray in the upright position.

Unironically this + keeping your seatbelt on and properly tightened is really solid advice for surviving an air incident. Of the three Asiana 214 fatalities, one of them would have survived had she worn her seatbelt. A shitload of non-accident aviation injuries are from people bashing their heads on the overhead console during unexpected turbulence because they took off their seatbelt once they hit cruising altitude and the seatbelt sign was off. :eng101:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Eldercain posted:

https://www.deviantart.com/sergeantrooper/art/TF-Turning-Japanese-2-374313034

I tried to get something inline but I gave up cuz phones suck.

It's work safe don't worry

where the gently caress do you work.

"I'm looking forward to retirement, you know? Get a little land, maybe farm some. Actually know what, I think I'm going to retire right loving now."

"See over there? That's what happens to snitches, Paulie. You ain't a snitch, right?"

"This stop is for Jambi. Please exit now for Jambi station. Doors are closing, next stop is TJ Lumut station."

"We should move this, right? Like it doesn't belong here?"
"You know what? I think it looks kind of nice. Leave it."

"Sir I understand that the Auto Zone was about to close but this is strictly a 40 MPH area. Also you can't park on top of another car. I understand it's full of fast food garbage but we still frown upon it in the state of Tennessee."

"Hi, yes, I'd like to check in. Reservation is under Zest Air, room for 25."

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 7, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"The river gets really narrow here so we're just going to break the craft into three parts and go up separately, okay everyone?"

"I'll never let go, Jack!"

"I HEARD WHAT YOU SAID JAVIER I'M GONNA COME OVER THERE AND KICK YOUR rear end."

"I have good news and bad news. The good news is we've landed and we're all safe."
"Well what's the bad news?"
"The entire town came out to see that you've all poo poo yourselves."

"Nice landing, idiot, now the slide is going to be in the trench and we're all going to get our feetsies wet."

"Lol guise what r u doin behind the bleachers, smokin' pot?"

"I told you the earth is round, would the plane bend like that if it was flat? No, it wouldn't. loving idiot."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"gently caress, I knew Taco Bell was a bad choice before flying."

"Mondays, am I right?"

"This seems like a nice place to sit down, enjoy the view, and have some lunc-JESUS CHRIST."
"Hey, this is a really nice view, you don't mind if I join you, right?"

"You know...I could have sworn this airplane had a cockpit yesterday."

"gently caress your chain link fence, Airlink will have link supremacy!"
"gently caress you Airlink, I can stretch all the way to the goddamn road, your landing gear is going to eat poo poo way before then."
"Nuh uh!"
"..."
"...gently caress."

"Hi, my name is ERJ-145, I like traveling, backpacking, nature photography, hanging out with friends, and kitties."

French fried instead of pizza'd, had a bad time.

"Sir, we're going to have to ask you to step out of the airplane."
"What seems to be the problem, officer?"
"Well, see that tail section back there? It's filled with several tons of cocaine and we have a few questions for you about that."
"Oh that's not mine. I parked the rest of my airplane...somewhere else. That's someone else's tail section."
"Sir...please get out of the airplane. Now."

"Maybe in Siberian reeducation you learn to fly better, hm?"

"Man I am rekt after chopping all this wood, I'm just going to rest here for a second..."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Blistex posted:

:eyepop:

How was this a "no fatalities" accident? Was it on autopilot and empty?

Mostly. The three test pilots were injured but survived. The A340...not so much.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Polaron posted:

Isn't this the Miracle on the Hudson?

It is!

This picture really shows how vital the excellent CRM of the flight crew was to survivability. They easily could have lost passengers to drowning, water that cold will lock up all but the most experienced swimmers without effective leadership and quick decision making to get people onto rafts immediately.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 7, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

mrfart posted:

Thanks for this thread. Really cool pictures. The wife is a big fan of air crash investigations (mayday).
I wonder how much of these planes is reusable. And what are the costs of recovering one from a mountain, forest or something like that.
I guess it varies greatly from case to case?

So almost everything I've posted is a "hull loss", meaning that the plane is either 1. incapable of being repaired or 2. would cost more to repair than to write it off and buy a new one. Frequently parts are salvaged from craft. This has occasionally been a controversial practice when salvage has been sold from accidents with high loss of life, but typically high fatality also means there is no recoverable salvage anyway (besides metal recycling). One of the largest (Aviation) insurers, AIG, sells salvages hull loss craft as part of insurance recovery. Removal and breakdown costs are alllll over the place, generally if it's not in a relatively wealthy country in an accessible location recovery is limited to human remains and if applicable, data and voice recorders. The majority of air incidents are near airports and are relatively "easy" to recover wreckage but it's still in the order of 5 figures for a small largely intact plane to get hauled off somewhere. You see a lot of accident sites in developing countries being bulldozed and it seems shocking but realistically once they reclaim what they can of human remains and personal effects, large parts, samples for residue testing...there's not much else to be done. Disaster scenes can be major biohazard zones. :smith:

Accidents where the scene is basically plane dust are sad, but IMHO it's far, far worse to see total loss disasters with like...intact seats. Super high speed impacts, it's over before you feel anything. It is difficult to bury an empty casket but the alternative is far worse with non-survivable crashes.

Onto happier material, more planes in predicaments!

...I'm sure it'll buff out?

"gently caress you, trees.
How does it feel.
To get kicked.
Right in the face."

"JetPort is please to announce it's first in the industry door to door service for our First Class passengers."

*duuuunun*

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 12, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

"Literally nobody is impressed you got it in the trench, Becky, Jesus."

"Last one in the water is a rotten egg!"

"Goddamn it TransAVIA, what have we loving said about littering on the side of the road?"

Seems like there could have been an easier way to build a bridge but okay.

The modular version of the II-62 was unpopular with Ilyushin's customer base; while many of them could disassemble the craft easily enough getting them back together proved to be as one nation described it, "a total bitch."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone got info on this one? Looks like where I used to live (Hampton Roads) until a couple years ago, but I don't remember any news stories about it.

Also: Great thread, and some of these captions are fuckin' hilarious.

2003, here's a archive of an article that ran about it: https://web.archive.org/web/20030412223903/https://www.pilotonline.com/breaking/br0306stu.html

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Vroooooom

https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1250861335728062468

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Swiped from the schadenfreude thread:

Which led to these classics:

So as an insurance dude, OP, you must know: just how hosed are any of these aircraft after this happens? The BA one doesn't look too bad, but those jets buried up to the tip of their tail fins... eeesh.

(also wtf with that guy in the last pic using a snowblower (edit: fan?) on that stuff without so much as a dust mask, that can't be healthy :stare:)

This is almost certainly high-expansion form versus an aqueous film forming foam (AFFF) since it's in the hangar and as the above post mentions, fills the area INSTANTLY. AFFF is used for aviation firefighting (not in auto-deploy hangar systems though) and is the super hazardous PFOS/PFOA foams (and the reason groundwater on military air bases is loving undrinkable). AFFFs are also rather unfortunately the best firefighting material when jet fuel is in play, however, the idea is to remove oxygen and heat while trapping vapor as quickly as possible so while high-expansion is less effective on fuels overall, it is the better choice for enclosed spaces because of how it behaves.

They're not hull losses but they're certainly in for an incredibly pricey cleaning and some parts repairs for really sensitive instrumentation; a lot of it will depend on what specific foam is used (some are compatible with dry extinguishing agents, which would be less screwy with the avionics). High-expansion dry suppressant is what is used in data centers (with the idea being the data is salvageable after) but who even knows what the government bothers to pay for. :effort:

The BA exit impromptu foam party is hilarious (and I'm glad I'm not paying for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

teardrop posted:

Heathrow is an early adopter for PFOS free foams, so this should be nontoxic and safe to dilute into groundwater in either case.

There's been a lot of advancements in protein-based biodegradeable foams in the last few years. It's great (and very needed), but God only knows when they'll hit the point of quality, availability and price efficacy that will get the US Military to broadly adopt.

Environmental remediation and EV insurance is a whole different nightmare (and generally it's shockingly soft market pricing-wise, though certainly there's some classes that are "you'll take what we give you" competition level).