Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well i was trying to make fun of myself for being old, not you for being young (though it turns out you're old too) and i definitely wasn't trying to make fun of you for going to college later, that'd just be lovely! im very sorry that it came off that way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol no offense taken, i just expect a little bit of ribbing around here

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Raluek posted:

lol no offense taken, i just expect a little bit of ribbing around here

It's for her pleasure.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I kinda want to switch a bunch of my hue lights back to regular LED ones so I can use the old light switches in the house. They’re not original 120 y/o ones but they’re modern copies of the originals. Instead of a single flip switch they’re all two cylinders you push in with a really satisfying *kachunk*

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

why would anyone want a computer in their lights baffles me. we need fewer computers not more

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

breathtaking?? why thank you

finally someone appreciates your art.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one computer in every home was the original “let’s make computers ubiquitous” motto but I’m suggesting we use it again as a motivation to get rid of some of the extra computers we’ve accumulated in modern times

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

MononcQc posted:

why would anyone want a computer in their lights baffles me. we need fewer computers not more

One of the really good things I set up was to have the light by the stair landing turn on when it gets dark no matter what.

Other good thing it does is if I say “Siri, there’s been a hull breach!” All the lights turn red and some flash

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nerd

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Also made it so things turn on along with music every day at sunrise it’s nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the electrical system in my house must be fucky because I fry LED bulbs in a year and normal incandos in a few months

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we have tons of computer controlled lighting now lol. the under cabinet led strips get warmer at night before dimming and turning red around 9 or so. the plant shelves in the dining room as well as spouse office both turn on and off automatically but ramp the brightness up in the morning and down at night

those were all gledopto diy things but we still use a hue “switch” to control the dining room shelves

we bought a hue motion sensor for the bathroom so the light in the morning and evening just turns on automatically when you walk in, with it coming only to half brightness by 9pm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

the electrical system in my house must be fucky because I fry LED bulbs in a year and normal incandos in a few months

you should probably get that looked at because more power going through the wires than expected is a fire hazard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yolo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yes that’s why we’re saying to get it inspected

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

fart simpson posted:

remember regularly replacing burned out light bulbs? only 90s kids will remember this

I went through and purged the incandescents years ago

And not a single one of the replacements was enclosure rated, so I still get to replace them when they overheat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the only incandescents left in our house are the weird little bulbs in one of the bathroom mirror lights, I don't know if they make LEDs of those

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have can lights in my kitchen and they reliably cook LED lights after a couple years

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah idk what this "forget about replacing light bulbs" bullshit comes from, I had some LEDs that got installed and died before some of my previously-installed CFLs died. it's a goddamn racket

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it literally is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5v8D-alAKE

all the bulb manufacturers had a big summit in the early 1900s and promised each other they'd make bulbs that only last a few thousand hours, after somebody developed a bulb that basically lasted forever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

gotta smuggle in Dubai lamps

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

extremely curious how hard it is to make your own LED lightbulb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not very. solder some leds to a power source and there you go.

it’s slightly trickier to put it in a socket but not by much

anyway not really worth it imo. there are definitely great leds that will last for a long time (esp if you can get the magic dubai bulbs fro philips) for not a million dollars. just worth lying attention to where it will go etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dubai is a slave nation idk why I’d want a bulb from there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they have different energy and longevity requirements for led lighting iirc and make philips manufacture bulbs specifically to meet it if they want to sell there lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
correct

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dubai has 230v so you filthy Americans have to make do with GE and Sylvania garbo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol no philips probably sells as many bulbs here too as anyone else.

just that the dubai ones run at 1/4 power and use four times as many leds to make up for it. so they last forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaJqofCsu4

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mediaphage posted:

lol no philips probably sells as many bulbs here too as anyone else.

just that the dubai ones run at 1/4 power and use four times as many leds to make up for it. so they last forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaJqofCsu4

yeah but they don't make the dubai lamps in 110v

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spankmeister posted:

yeah but they don't make the dubai lamps in 110v

yeah not sure why that means i have to buy sylvania bulbs though

they don't actually sell them outside of dubai at all as far as i know

when they do i'm sure they'll sell them to the americans and japan too

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

don’t the bulbs have a step down inverter in there anyways? I’m not sure if screwing a bulb into a 110 receiver versus a 220/230/whatever is going to cause a fire or blow anything up or even just not work when there’s no chance those LEDs actually need that much voltage

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah I suppose they could make them universal voltage that'd be cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hackaday was saying the the leds get 200V but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

regardless if they at all wanted to sell them to 120v countries they could

anyway it’s almost always heat killing leds as you all know. they’re not as efficient as these dubai lamps but we run four foot led strips in several places and when you ramp the brightness down they really do just sip power

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah, if you just underdrive em a little bit they last foreverrrr. or if you add 10% more LEDs. but capitalism

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yea

if anyone is interested you can get these cool affordable strips from companies like bridgelux

then figure out what sort of meanwell driver will work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MononcQc posted:

one computer in every home was the original “let’s make computers ubiquitous” motto but I’m suggesting we use it again as a motivation to get rid of some of the extra computers we’ve accumulated in modern times

this would be kinda cool with like a big bus going out to the control points on all the appliances and stuff but when that computer was down it would be like instant medieval times lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

war communism but with hidden computers defining who is an isn't a kulak

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

war communism but with hidden computers defining who is an isn't a kulak

пожалуйста, не подписывайте свои сообщения.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

holy poo poo lol

lol theres extra poo poo there because they're also hooked up to a zigbee transmitter so i can control them with the rest of the hue bulbs