Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

knox_harrington posted:

A dumb rear end in a top hat micromanager colleague came into work sick last Thursday because she tested negative on a home rapid test. She cams and sat next to me I a meeting, I didn't feel I could just get up and go somewhere else.

Surprise, she had a positive test on Saturday and is pretty sick. I haven't got any symptoms so far. Why are people so loving stupid.

i got sick a few weeks ago and popped negative twice over three days but i still stayed home for like two weeks just to make sure nobody else would catch whatever i had

even my bazinga boss told us if we're sick to stay home and he would tell off upper management if they complained (we're back to work 3 days per week and have been for awhile)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
why the gently caress do these people come into work sick even with a negative test

"oh don't worry it's not covid, i'm just here to infect you all with the regular flu" ???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a guy in my office knowingly came in to work with actual influenza a few years back and i got knocked on my rear end for a week and had painful pleurisy for like two weeks after that lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i remember that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

so do i

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you didn’t remember it i wouldn’t have posted it. think about it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

people always talk about having the "flu" but actual influenza is an awful experience

i got my flu shot yesterday, I (almost) never get the flu but can't hurt

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i caught flu a earlier this year and it sucked massive rear end. i’d just as soon prefer not to get it if it’s all the same.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Blinkz0rz posted:

i caught flu a earlier this year and it sucked massive rear end. i’d just as soon prefer not to get it if it’s all the same.

no. it's weird that you don't want to be sick all the time

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i had the "mexican flu" when that went around in 2008 or 2009 and it was super bad. like multiple days of fever and shivers bad, and blowing handfuls of snot out of my nose in the shower

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

A dumb rear end in a top hat micromanager colleague came into work sick last Thursday because she tested negative on a home rapid test. She cams and sat next to me I a meeting, I didn't feel I could just get up and go somewhere else.

Surprise, she had a positive test on Saturday and is pretty sick. I haven't got any symptoms so far. Why are people so loving stupid.

My wife's parents are wandering around with "the flu". They don't want to test for covid because it's over and the TV says it's a bad flu season. They don't want to stay home until they feel better because it's "just the flu."

Apr 7, 2003

EricBauman posted:

i had the "mexican flu"

¡Ay, caramba!

Apr 7, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

People are just fine with being sick all the fuckin' time now

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

did they not call it that in the us?
it really was a more optimistic time after obama was just elected

i wonder what lovely name trump would have pushed for a mexican flu virus

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EricBauman posted:

did they not call it that in the us?
it really was a more optimistic time after obama was just elected

i wonder what lovely name trump would have pushed for a mexican flu virus

I believe it was called the "swine flu" elsewhere around the world

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

spankmeister posted:

I believe it was called the "swine flu" elsewhere around the world

so were they calling mexicans pigs, or were we?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
literally never heard it called "mexican flu"

Apr 7, 2003

bad news, baby - I'm postiive for the German herpes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

think about it.

no.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

literally never heard it called "mexican flu"

well, it was called that in various parts of the world.

it mostly depended on whether or not local officials chose to stigmatize pigs, or mexico.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

bad news, baby - I'm postiive for the German herpes

Mein Leben!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

spankmeister posted:

people always talk about having the "flu" but actual influenza is an awful experience

i got my flu shot yesterday, I (almost) never get the flu but can't hurt

a major benefit of the flu shot is that it helps prevent you from passing on the flu to at risk populations, such as the elderly or young children :science:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

got the flu vax yesterday, getting the bivalent on thursday

Apr 7, 2003

The Canadian Cholera

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

got a nasty case of the dutch swears

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

godverdomme kankerkop! teringlijer! tyfushond!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

good news, covid might not be top of mind in terms of viruses going forward

https://blog.ebola-cases.com/leaked-ebola-projections-uganda/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whatever happened to monkeypox anyway

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it wasn't politically useful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
much less contagious, responded well to countermeasures, community took it seriously

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

haveblue posted:

much less contagious, responded well to countermeasures, community took it seriously

this

it is almost eradicated in montreal which was our epicentre here

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
maybe they should have tried the 'there will be no gay sex until the disease has been eradicated' approach with covid.

it still feels really dirty how it was presented as a gay disease all over the world. here, only gay men could get tested, I think. or maybe that was vaccination.
i guess this all shows that we still would really mess up the response if aids would be a new disease now. attitudes really haven't improved enough, and we'll still pretend a disease is for gay men only

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Griffin from the TWiV podcast always says
"Monkey pox isn't a gay disease, it isn't an African disease, it's an infectious disease." and it's just sad that anyone should even have to say that.

we've made some fantastic strides in creating tools for preventing, diagnosing and treating disease and yet we are still so stuck in our ways that if monkeypox had been really infectious, we'd have another pandemic on our hands.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tomorrow is my in-office day which is nice because I have a ton of stuff i need to bitch at my boss about. she just doesn’t get the full effect of my agitated gesticulations over teams.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
so you're one of those guys that gesticulate in public, beep?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i do have a tan overcoat…

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeping Tom

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i only wish the best for beep

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Beeping Tom

the adventures of tom fondledilz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Dr. Griffin from the TWiV podcast always says
"Monkey pox isn't a gay disease, it isn't an African disease, it's an infectious disease." and it's just sad that anyone should even have to say that.

we've made some fantastic strides in creating tools for preventing, diagnosing and treating disease and yet we are still so stuck in our ways that if monkeypox had been really infectious, we'd have another pandemic on our hands.

if aids was a new thing today in 2022 we would 100% absolutely not a joke let everyone get infected

it’s mild, you can live with it, the antivirals will make pfizer a shitload of money, and npis are bad pr and don’t meet cost benefit analyses done by on-payroll pfizer economists