Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I meant that their credit rating and net worth is better because they had access to opportunities in the past and got way ahead of a Māori person in the same age bracket, and even further ahead of someone a few age brackets below them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm maybe maybe not. systemic issues exist for sure, but not everyone in a demographic is the average of that demographic

but idk, maybe I’m wrong

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dumb people think dumb things, it isn't your job to make them less dumb. feel free to mention some context to help people who you think might be too dumb to figure it out on their own, but at the end of the day it's just not something you have to worry about.

if you really want to help, feel free to write something and link to it on business cards you can give out. you might even be able to link to government resources that already exist.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
privileged people will always respond badly to someone else being privileged, especially if they've benefited from an informal system, and now formal systems are set to benefit others to compensate for that.

or, in this case, when their privilege is a vague externality of their privileged position, and that externality is being addressed for people less privileged

and it's hard for people to take a broad view and recognize that rules like this are about population level scales and aggregate numbers. of course there's examples of white people who died young of heart disease, and everyone has an example they know.

still, I say give people all the meds they need and want as long as there's enough of them and a doctor thinks there's some benefit

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

EricBauman posted:

still, I say give people all the meds they need and want as long as there's enough of them and a doctor thinks there's some benefit

the ivermectin community thanks you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cat Face Joe posted:

the ivermectin community thanks you

this is fair. snake oil salesmen can get a degree too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hey bud...got any horse drugs?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
text me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Send me some vitamin K

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Hey bud...got any horse drugs?

nay

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've been seeing a trend with people getting got by lying relatives. Mom and dad say they tested and they're negative, no need for masks, subject has a few days with mom and dad and whoops, they've got covid. Or family says they're testing in advance of a wedding and everyone gets sick anyway.

Best to just mask, because people are liars. good stuff.

My MSNBC-obsessed liberal in-laws literally just did this to me, my wife, her sisters, and my brother-in-law-to-be. My wife and I isolated & tested before we went to their place just before Christmas. Her parents insinuated they did the same, but my father-in-law was "under the weather" and they didn't tell us until we'd already gotten there. Next morning, before we leave to see his mother, he tests, and oops he's positive oh dear.

did he quarantine away from the rest of the family? nope!
did he wear any of the masks we had brought in case something like this happened? nope, and neither did anyone other than my wife and I!
you know what did happen? my mother-in-law giving my wife poo poo for "making [her] feel bad," because we had the temerity to be pissed off and politely, if strongly, communicating that.

two whole loving days of being stuck in that house, the only people masked up, and my wife is now positive, as is her mom and one of her sisters. somehow I am not but I have to live in the basement until my wife clears up! loving fantastic!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
whatever it's just a cold

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Stereotype posted:

whatever it's just a cold

I can't tell if your trolling out serious, either way gently caress off

people should take colds more seriously

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

guy who is extremely neurotic and high-strung about covid, "tens of millions will die its going to be like this forever", but cavalier about everything else is a pretty good bit imo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SporkOfTruth posted:

My MSNBC-obsessed liberal in-laws literally just did this to me, my wife, her sisters, and my brother-in-law-to-be. My wife and I isolated & tested before we went to their place just before Christmas. Her parents insinuated they did the same, but my father-in-law was "under the weather" and they didn't tell us until we'd already gotten there. Next morning, before we leave to see his mother, he tests, and oops he's positive oh dear.

did he quarantine away from the rest of the family? nope!
did he wear any of the masks we had brought in case something like this happened? nope, and neither did anyone other than my wife and I!
you know what did happen? my mother-in-law giving my wife poo poo for "making [her] feel bad," because we had the temerity to be pissed off and politely, if strongly, communicating that.

two whole loving days of being stuck in that house, the only people masked up, and my wife is now positive, as is her mom and one of her sisters. somehow I am not but I have to live in the basement until my wife clears up! loving fantastic!

this is hosed

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

coworker's mother in law came to visit and was clearly sick when she arrived. she swore up and down it was just the flu (we don't want that either!) and they finally get a swab up her nose and of course it comes back positive. she starts yelling about how she couldn't possibly have caught it since her roommate has been in the hospital (what for? dying of covid). the finally force her out but him, his wife, and their three kids all got it

Apr 7, 2003

My wife had to go into the office yesterday to set up a teleconference for the firm partners. while she was doing the pre-conference check she got to listen to very important people talk about all the sick people they knew and one had a family member who died.

later in the day she went to see a partner to help him with his mobile data issues and a few minutes in he told her that his wife was exposed to covid-19 and was feeling sick.

cool stuff!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

People just...don't care about being alive lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Can't let the cure be worse than the disease! oh yeah my aunt died and i've been bed-ridden sick for 8 weeks this year. but i can't just stop living life you know? and the mask is itchy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if i died how would i play rimworld? chekmate covid havers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

guy who is extremely neurotic and high-strung about covid, "tens of millions will die its going to be like this forever", but cavalier about everything else is a pretty good bit imo.

I’m the joker baby

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

I get that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

high five brother

Apr 7, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

It's seriously breaking my brain

the people she told me about are millionaire law firm partners, and they do not give a single hot gently caress about getting sick or dying.

the CFO at her firm died and they damnatio memoriae'd him a month later.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

PokeJoe posted:

You call this living?

There's a big conference in Ohio soon and I'm thrilled with how many of my coworkers will be going.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.hartfuneralhomeinc.com/obituary/David-Federline

Dude fuckin croaked from covid, hooked up to a ventilator. They put up a memorial page for him in early january and wiped it by Valentine's Day.

My house is full of porcelain with cardinals on it because he'd hand it out to everyone at the firm every Christmas.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i think people actively want to die

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I like living until I randomly remember something super embarrassing I did as a teen, and then I want to die.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

doesn't even have to be from when I was a teen

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's seriously breaking my brain

the people she told me about are millionaire law firm partners, and they do not give a single hot gently caress about getting sick or dying.

the CFO at her firm died and they damnatio memoriae'd him a month later.

lmfao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like living until I randomly remember something super embarrassing I did as a teen, and then I want to die.

to be fair they were all extremely embarrassing

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

see, you think this is hosed, but there's an even more hosed part:

my mom was supposed to join us at my in-laws for Thanksgiving, but she tested positive for COVID the morning of (she's a nurse at a children's hospital, got it at work) and called us. huge bummer, but she recovered OK.

my in-laws were like "well, don't worry, we'll invite her for Christmas dinner." my mom explicitly asked them to test/etc. so she could see me for the first time in months. and here we are.

:wtfdude:

e: my mother-in-law is also not doing great, because she's had a lot of medical issues this year and can't take certain pain meds!

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

🤟

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if you die of disease it isn’t suicide so you still get to go to heaven, even if you got sick because of your arrogant irresponsibility. it’s a neat little trick that apparently everyone loves.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
The whole point of christianity is to have a better afterlife than life anyway.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
life sucks, what else is new?
that's tough; there's not much you can do

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cloks posted:

You call this living?

There's a big conference in Ohio soon and I'm thrilled with how many of my coworkers will be going.

imagine being excited to go to sandusky

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
death would be a welcome release from the living hell that is ohio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Stereotype posted: