Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I got a 3.5% raise in April and it's probably the last one I'll see for a long time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am super glad that I got tenure last fall because loolololol there's a super simple way to slash your budgets. Just deny the probationary faculty promotion, claiming that they just didn't make the cut, and then if you decide you need the position again later you just rehire someone who starts at the bottom of the salary scale

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

that sucks, sorry. my buddy at dell said they've instituted

- zero 401k match
- no raises, bonuses, or promotions

indefinitely

those too

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i assume they're trying to accelerate attrition to avoid layoffs.

yeah. i mean, theyre coming out and laying out what if the worst happens. layoffs are on the table too but only as a last resort or whatever. thing is we've been constricting for almost 2 decades now, any layoffs would be devastating

like im just going to say it, we hinge on whether or not international students are allowed back in the country in august, and if theyre not, will they tolerate remote (they wont)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got a 3.5% raise in April and it's probably the last one I'll see for a long time lol

i got a 28% raise by switching jorbs

Apr 7, 2003

right now we've got 38 million less of those than we had on New Year's Day

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

We're at layoffs and executives are talking salary and 401k cuts.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're getting the neuromancer future we never wanted, cool

I mean in Neuromancer there was at least some type of technical wonder to go along with all of the hyper-capitalist stratification

we're getting all of the stratification but everything is stagnant because unsurprisingly that's the real outcome of it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

the only thing I remember about being put under for surgery is waking up basically feeling intoxicated

for me one of the times was emergency appendectomy and i fought for hours to fully wake, it was like trying to crawl out of a sleep sludge

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

my work is opening in a few weeks

for curbside service only

which really has nothing to do with me or my position. lol i'm #furloughforever

echinopsis posted:

now some people get tied up for sexual fetish, you know, like handing over control. wonder if anyone does it with neuromuscular junction blockers

this was a law and order episode

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Stereotype posted:

get blackout drunk

i mean if you say so

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

when i had top surgery (double mastectomy), i was out for 3-4 hrs, and then stupidly walked a few blocks back to our hotel and got a sandwich because i felt GREAT!!! because i was still on the good drugs, and then felt like i got hit by a truck the next day.

strabismus surgery was like an hour and a half out, but i don't remember much of the next 24 hrs because i couldn't open my eyes lol

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

saw a 3 month contract remote position for the insurance tech i work with, thinking about double dipping while on perma wfh

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

We're at layoffs and executives are talking salary and 401k cuts.

same here, 11% layoff, execs take 10% salary cut, ceo down to $1 salary (lol he gets all his money from equity anyway), 401k match suspended. at least with the ppp money we made it until june before having to do this

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah no raises here, salary cut for VPs and above etc. they are still hiring but at a much reduced rate. they are firing people but in that quiet piece by piece way - you find out that a team of 20 erp developers in Poland got
axed one week, then 10 BAs in Colorado etc.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

you should all still have enough of your $1200 Trump Rewards cash to get by for several more weeks

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Roosevelt posted:

you should all still have enough of your $1200 Trump Rewards cash to get by for several more weeks

lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Gnossiennes posted:

when i had top surgery (double mastectomy), i was out for 3-4 hrs, and then stupidly walked a few blocks back to our hotel and got a sandwich because i felt GREAT!!! because i was still on the good drugs, and then felt like i got hit by a truck the next day.

strabismus surgery was like an hour and a half out, but i don't remember much of the next 24 hrs because i couldn't open my eyes lol

This was the same as my wisdom teeth surgery. Mum drove me home and I felt totally fine. Like not even in pain at all

Then the next day I wanted to die

Its crazy how good real painkillers are compared to the stuff you get over the counter.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

hahaha

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the real heroes in all this

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

I am super glad that I got tenure last fall because loolololol there's a super simple way to slash your budgets. Just deny the probationary faculty promotion, claiming that they just didn't make the cut, and then if you decide you need the position again later you just rehire someone who starts at the bottom of the salary scale

Hey cool, I saw this episode once. It's what they did to two of the CS department profs my senior year. :(

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

chuckling at "putting on a little wee function" for the sewage guys

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

this reminds me that i learned recently that toilets outside the US don't clog????

like it's the way American toilets are designed to flush that makes them clog more easily, and no one else keeps a plunger in their bathroom. what the gently caress???

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
are you sure about that op?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

this reminds me that i learned recently that toilets outside the US don't clog????

like it's the way American toilets are designed to flush that makes them clog more easily, and no one else keeps a plunger in their bathroom. what the gently caress???

please travel some more. in probably 75% of the world the plumbing system can't even handle toilet paper. if people don't have a plunger in their bathroom it's probably because they hid it in a cupboard or something.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

a lot of posts from the US on here so the toilet system's working great!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

inlaws’ house in england has the whole two-tap thing. pretty sure all of their water’s potable as the home is maybe 60 years old and there’s no open holding tank or anything but it’s probably just what everyone is used to. i hate it!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

please travel some more. in probably 75% of the world the plumbing system can't even handle toilet paper. if people don't have a plunger in their bathroom it's probably because they hid it in a cupboard or something.

https://pottygirl.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/why-do-american-toilets-clog/ is a blog someone linked that explained it, European & East Asian (dunno about outside that) toilets use a different flush design that has a wider pipe, and very rarely clogs.

granted i haven't experienced this on my own cuz i don't travel much and haven't been outside the country! i would travel more if i had the money, time, and cis-ness for it to be safe, but alas

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

in older buildings and smaller cities in china the toilets will clog if you try to flush toilet paper

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

in really old buildings the toilet has no plumbing, its just a huge open concrete pit out back that collects fertilizer, and you gotta squat over it. hope your balance is good or you might fall in lol

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I appreciate the sentiment but this does not actually make me want to travel more.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

President Beep posted:

inlaws’ house in england has the whole two-tap thing. pretty sure all of their water’s potable as the home is maybe 60 years old and there’s no open holding tank or anything but it’s probably just what everyone is used to. i hate it!

If it's used in toilets it's called postable water

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there are a bunch of rural villages here where the ‘city sewage’ is actually just 3-4 buildings on a giant septic tank and leech field

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

https://pottygirl.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/why-do-american-toilets-clog/ is a blog someone linked that explained it, European & East Asian (dunno about outside that) toilets use a different flush design that has a wider pipe, and very rarely clogs.

granted i haven't experienced this on my own cuz i don't travel much and haven't been outside the country! i would travel more if i had the money, time, and cis-ness for it to be safe, but alas

those clog all the time too. that blog is shilling products pretty hardcore if you click around some other pages.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you want your toilets to stop clogging, eat more fiber and less carbs and meat. that way your poop will be light and airy instead of sticky depleted uranium depth charges.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i mean mostly i'm going off of someone on this forum confused about why americans all have plungers cuz they have never had one or known anyone who did :shrug:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

but yeah cool that makes me wanna travel less (than i already wanted to travel)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I had to pay attention to my making GBS threads was when I visited the us. Otherwise i rarely need to manually evacuate my shits because idk euro toilets function normally for the most part ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
German toilets have a little poop shelf which lets you investigate before flushing, very handy

Apr 7, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

German toilets have a little poop shelf which lets you investigate before flushing, very handy

“Ach, Helga! Your Schiesse tastes like sauerkraut!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

they call that a “pittsburgh park bench”