Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol i was looking at desk lamps and forgot there's an ikea here and wouldn't you know the lamp type i want is there, $8 cheaper, and not sold by an aliexpress reseller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ikea has some pretty good veggie dogs.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I’ve gone there just for lunch or a fast dinner, you learn where the shortcuts are in the showroom hamster maze so you can get out quickly afterward without being tempted to buy more stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Agile Vector posted:

lol i was looking at desk lamps and forgot there's an ikea here and wouldn't you know the lamp type i want is there, $8 cheaper, and not sold by an aliexpress reseller
ikea is real good for housewares. need throw pillows, a paper towel rack, a collander, a set of measuring spoons, or some dish towels? ikea has them and at a pretty good price (plus the aforementioned meatballs)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
also like they're are furniture, they're a tiny veneer of charity for architecture scholarships on top a byzantine multibillion family owned wealth extracting concern.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are worse things you can be under capitalism than a furniture company. at least they actually manufacture tangible objects that you can get in exchange for money. that automatically puts them above the like 70% of the economy that is just middlemen taking a cut for doing nothing

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
it’s about as ethical as a company that does massive outsourced production using forestry timber can be, which is to say not very.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my first day in singapore the client i was working for got all excited about taking me to IKEA for my first meal in their country

i’m still confused but man they were excited about it

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
were they locals?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember when they had that big panic in europe a bunch of years ago because there was horse meat getting sold as beef and the ikea meatballs were one of the main places it was happening.

almost makes you want to stop taking your family to dinner at a furniture store

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

almost makes you want to stop taking your family to dinner at a furniture store
almost

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The riverside was really nice today. There were some really loving ugly statues though that weren't there last time I took a stroll there.

Which was like... 2018?

e: Also EVERYTHING is a restaurant now. This puts all the whining about COVID-19 COUNTER-MEASURES ARE KILLING OUR BUISNESS! in a whole new perspective. Maybe don't open up a restaurant every 1½ metres in a city with what 160 000 inhabitants.

e: Oh OK 185 000 like that makes a difference.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

I’ve never been to an ikea and people here who’ve been to one overseas talk about it likes it’s the next coming of christ

IKEA does have some good stuff, some utter trash too but if you need some odd piece of home storage stuff they've probably got it. In my case recycling bins which they did have in stock. Also a wok inexplicably called "tolerant'.

Echi's right though, some people are insane about it and it's weird. Also the meatballs a fine I guess but it's basically institutional food and the frozen Quorn ones you get are just as good if not better.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IKEA absolutely 100% has the cheapest functional furniture that you can get, unless you're getting it for free (which happens). Second-hand furniture costs more and is often worse.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
it’s 27C and sprinkling, so I’m getting myself away from watching YouTube all day by drinking a beer. “Clever Hoppier Name”. A little disappointing, as it doesn’t quite gently caress up my palate as much as I’d expect from the name.

gently caress, wrong thread

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

ikeas entire supply chain has been hosed to hell since the pandemic began. they are constantly out of a ton of stuff at both the philly locations

all sorts of supply chains are still hosed. like pickles. seriously. Claussen has been having issues getting glass jars and my supermarket hardly has them in stock anymore.

have we just-in-timed ourselves into a hole we'll never escape from?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you start to view past efforts to increase profits at any expense thru the lens of regret you run the risk of trying to add planning ahead into current efforts at increasing profits at any expense and that’s a cost we can’t afford to make

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fuckin a.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I got a couple tables at ikea to build a desk from and they're decent. good solid 5'x2.5' MDF tabletops with four adjustable metal legs. the fake painted wood grain finish on them isn't anything to write home about but for like sixty bucks per tabletop you can't really go wrong. they survived a hectic last-minute move and will probably make it through the inevitable next one

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ikea stuff is fine except that it kind of makes every place with it same-y

i will buy nicer, more carefully tastefully chosen stuff if/when i actually own a place, but ikea is really good at the cost/value trade off on furniture

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
every piece of furniture in my apt minus bed and couches is 17-28 year old ikea, so are all of my plates/flatware

e: i bought the last of the 5x1 expedits and those are 5ish years old

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Share Bear posted:

ikea stuff is fine except that it kind of makes every place with it same-y

i will buy nicer, more carefully tastefully chosen stuff if/when i actually own a place, but ikea is really good at the cost/value trade off on furniture

plus it is genuinely *quite* expensive to improve on what you can get from ikea. spending just a bit more you will find yourself buying so much absolute trash (mostly in that it will be built of the same cheap materials but way less battle-tested). spending a lot more you can get some good stuff, but there is a bit of a chasm to leap.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah a good bookshelf not made of MDF will be five hundo easy, up into the thousands if you want good hardwood

I have a mix of ikea and "real" furniture and the bookshelves and dressers will probably be the last thing I upgrade because getting good stuff is ruinously expensive

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i have real wood furniture from ikea but it's pine so it dents if i breath on it too hard

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hell, you’re looking at thousands in materials alone if you were going to build a lovely bookshelf

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just building a box cost me more than $300

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i made an apothecary cabinet out of walnut & maple because literally no one sells nice apothecary cabinets.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hasn't wood like quadrupled in price the last few years?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

i have real wood furniture from ikea but it's pine so it dents if i breath on it too hard

i know two households who chose pine flooring and had it painted and I was like "why the gently caress lol?" and then after about two weeks they didn't want to talk about their flooring at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

it's the korean war all over again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

i made an apothecary cabinet out of walnut & maple because literally no one sells nice apothecary cabinets.

its about 12"x18" and it took me like 4 months of weekends and its still kinda clumsily executed but whatcha gonna do

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

when I built the box for my truck the plywood was $80 a sheet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i know two households who chose pine flooring and had it painted and I was like "why the gently caress lol?" and then after about two weeks they didn't want to talk about their flooring at all.

pine flooring eventually looks good after all of it is evenly dented and hosed up but I sure hope they didn't want to keep the look that it started with.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

its about 12"x18" and it took me like 4 months of weekends and its still kinda clumsily executed but whatcha gonna do

mlyp

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

pine flooring eventually looks good after all of it is evenly dented and hosed up

not if it's painted. at least not white or off-white, because it'll just look like a loving mess.

e: like this is fine:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

idk about quadrupled but it's gotten a fair bit more expensive, yeah.

high-quality plywood in particular has gone up because the birch they use comes from finland and russia, and the trucks can only use the roads up there in the winter when the mud is frozen, and for some reason the winters are getting shorter and shorter.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:-O

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

not if it's painted. at least not white or off-white, because it'll just look like a loving mess.

painted floors?!? wtf

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the pine furniture we have is a bed frame, nightstands, and a small dresser. we didn't really care how it looked as long as it wasn't ugly as heck; our goal was to buy something that would disassemble/reassemble without falling apart and we succeeded on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

when I built the box for my truck the plywood was $80 a sheet

what kind of plywood? that's a very reasonable price for good stuff and a lol price for the sort of thing you get at home depot.