Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cloks posted:

he talked about how we now had to go through security screenings and stuff like that

he asked for examples and I suggested "the other 9/11, Benghazi"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Cloks posted:

he talked about how we now had to go through security screenings and stuff like that

:dudsmile:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cloks posted:

lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cloks posted:

I was in a corporate meeting about 'Trust' today and the presenter's example for an event that decreased trust was 9/11.

I had to turn off my camera because I couldn't stop laughing.

Cloks posted:

lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cloks posted:

goldmine

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cloks posted:

lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
fr that’s the kind of irl shitposting i can never even hope to attain. worst I’ve ever done at work was replied all to a group eysaying that i don’t want any “dognuts” when a coworker accidentally misspelled the same.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

fr that’s the kind of irl shitposting i can never even hope to attain. worst I’ve ever done at work was replied all to a group eysaying that i don’t want any “dognuts” when a coworker accidentally misspelled the same.

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

kermit_bale.gif

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i love being back in the office.

just yelled at one of my colleagues that he could go gently caress himself if he was going to keep giving me poo poo for wearing a mask on crowded busses during rush hour

open office, so everyone could hear it including the full C suite and no one seemed to care about what would normally be incredibly unprofessional behavior on my part

i think it helps that this is a guy that people avoid. no one wants to have lunch at the same time he's eating because he's disgusting. also, he's a nerd who's a bit too proud of his time in the israeli army optimizing their databases to help them kill children eliminate terrorists more efficiently or something

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
hail satan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol that's one hell of an undercount

everyone I know is sick

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol that's one hell of an undercount

everyone I know is sick

This is the Philippines, but yes probably.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
literally every one of my coworkers was sick or had an illness in their family by the time i peaced out for the year

:cool:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
judging by how many people are getting the covid I’d be inclined to say people love covid ❤️🥰🥰

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell i'll be brave enough to say it. i love covid :hmmrona:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

thanks to covid I’m still wfh and spend more time with my family than I ever thought would be possible, and it’s also gotten me a lot of raises and promotions

covid gave me bargaining power back and it is a proletarian hero

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it also killed a lot of people (which is probably why we suddenly have bargaining power), so maybe it’s an anti hero

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah I get to hang out with my partner pretty much 24/7 now and it’s great. probably only cost me a few years of my life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we can weave the story of our own lives. don’t let people tell you it was bad to have covid.

when people say “no regrets”, it’s a way to live a satisfying life by believing that the fabric of your live is something to be celebrated, and if you’ve had covid, then covid is a glorious part of that tapestry of your life

😘C😘O😘V😘I😘D😘

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
covid on a large-scale level has hosed up pretty much every aspect of my life for 2.75 years and counting. did not enjoy having it a month ago. felt bad to have.

it's a garbage bag thread change in the tapestry of my life and i hate to even look at it. not a fan. not a fan at all.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
our (netherlands) govt is pulling a nice trick to pretend covid isnt killing anyone anymore:
they are rebenchmarking the 'normal' death rate to include 2020 and 2021 numbers. those are, of course the prime pandemic years in which 20ish% more people died than usual.

that means that they'll now be able to claim that way fewer people are dying AT ALL than usually. "don't you see? covid actually good! because everyone is getting it now, fewer people are dying"

and maybe people won't notice that a fifth of the trains aren't running because they can't be staffed, or that there's zero empty spots in pediatric wards.

oh, and we're one of the few countries where paxlovid isn't prescribed. to anyone. at all. unless you have VERY severe underlying heart or lung issues. so if you want to recover from a serious case of covid, you'd better develop some lung cancer pronto.

of course they're also going to gloat about covid deaths in china, presenting this as something that's inevitable if you do any prevention at all.

the problem with china isn't that they went for zero covid, it's that the only thing the chinese govt can effectively organize is heavy handed repression, and guess what, that ain't the way you can make zero covid work. it's zero covid with chinese characteristics, to borrow a phrase from the gbs china threads of yore, and as everything described as 'x with chinese characteristics' it'll turn into a mockery of the concept that chinese characteristics have been added to.

physically locking people up in their homes and sending them random ration packs (lucky you, it's chocolate milk and carrots for breakfast, lunch and dinner this week) isn't the only way you can approach this, but if cruelty and corruption is all your bureaucracy is used to, that's what it's going to be

yeah, im still mad about all of this, even if everyone says it's over

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dutch politics have always struck me as the worst of British/european politics with the worst of American politics, except with slightly more consumer/worker protections and a somewhat functioning health and education system

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
don't worry, we're probably getting rid of those last few good things in the next few years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
something I find challenging to do when people ask me about paxlovid is I run thru the eligibility criteria and ask their age and if they’re under 65 I ask if they’re maori or pacific islander because if they are then they only have to be 50 not 65

I understand why they made the eligibility decisions that they did (to improve access and outcomes), but it’s not necessary easy to tell someone they aren’t eligible because of their ethnicity

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

something I find challenging to do when people ask me about paxlovid is I run thru the eligibility criteria and ask their age and if they’re under 65 I ask if they’re maori or pacific islander because if they are then they only have to be 50 not 65

I understand why they made the eligibility decisions that they did (to improve access and outcomes), but it’s not necessary easy to tell someone they aren’t eligible because of their ethnicity

I’m sure the white 60 year olds are super cool about it too

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
how is that sort of thing decided anyway

some sort of one drop rule? or is there a minimum parentage to qualify? or is it about cultural identification rather than ethnicity per se?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iirc Pacific Islanders are like 4x more likely to have heart disease or develop it, so lowering the age requirement for Māori is more so to make sure they don’t get wiped out by another colonist disease that strongly affects cardiovascular systems than it is to, like, stick it to whitey or give them special treatment

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jabor posted:

how is that sort of thing decided anyway

some sort of one drop rule? or is there a minimum parentage to qualify? or is it about cultural identification rather than ethnicity per se?

you have to be accepted into a Whānau and be vouched for by the elders, in addition to genealogical evidence and in modern cases DNA tests

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

you have to be accepted into a Whānau and be vouched for by the elders, in addition to genealogical evidence and in modern cases DNA tests

that sounds like a lot of effort that would discourage people from taking advantage of that sort of program even though they are entitled to it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you get disowned by your whanau are you still allowed to call yourself māori?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jabor posted:

if you get disowned by your whanau are you still allowed to call yourself māori?

no no there are cases where non blood Māori are accepted into a whānau. I have no idea if that affects benefits or not tbh, I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it. I only know about the cultural side and how they go about doing that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I guess I didn’t realise you were talking about the benefits side more so than the cultural side with the one drop line :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

iirc Pacific Islanders are like 4x more likely to have heart disease or develop it, so lowering the age requirement for Māori is more so to make sure they don’t get wiped out by another colonist disease that strongly affects cardiovascular systems than it is to, like, stick it to whitey or give them special treatment

yeah this is true, it’s like making the eligibility age 65, and then lowering for populations that are more vulnerable

of course, from the perspective of a person who is like 60 and sick from covid, being told you can’t have the medication, but if you were māori you could, doesn’t necessarily do much to reduce feelings of racism or whatever. it’s a tough line to walk, and while it does improve outcomes in a equity kind of way, it doesn’t do much for public sentiment

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah and it’s not just for this program, it’s for all sorts of things, including outside of health

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah i mean culturally it's about "are you embedded in and part of the culture", but that's something that's not easy to judge in an objective sense for the purpose of like, "are you eligible for benefits". something like a one drop rule, while it does seem kinda racist when you frame it like that, has the upside of being straightforward, objective, and covering just about everyone you intend to cover.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

yeah this is true, it’s like making the eligibility age 65, and then lowering for populations that are more vulnerable

of course, from the perspective of a person who is like 60 and sick from covid, being told you can’t have the medication, but if you were māori you could, doesn’t necessarily do much to reduce feelings of racism or whatever. it’s a tough line to walk, and while it does improve outcomes in a equity kind of way, it doesn’t do much for public sentiment

yeah and it’s not just for this program, it’s for all sorts of things, including outside of health

if old bogans wanna give you beef about it just remind them that they’re eligible for loans and credit offers Māori aren’t and then you won’t have to deal with them whinging for long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

if old bogans wanna give you beef about it just remind them that they’re eligible for loans and credit offers Māori aren’t and then you won’t have to deal with them whinging for long

hmm idk if people are ineligible for loans because of their ethnicity .. but the issue isn’t really people moaning at me, it’s growing public sentiment about perceived double standards that deny them things other people get, regardless of any privilege they may or may not have

it’s easy for someone in my position or someone educated to understand what’s going on, but that’s not most of the public who often seem to find this kind of thing is polarising and drives people toward voting right wing to eliminate the “special treatment”