Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and are multi-year so they're just paying for unused office. it's driving my boss absolutely bananas

rotor posted:

[mark benioff, looking at the salesforce tower] I have-a the buyers remorse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m looking forward to the commercial real estate market’s bottom falling out and a shitload of towers being converted to residential living space in awesome areas of cities everywhere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i hope so. I mean i hope NOT because my house would lose a lot of value but at the same time i really do hope so.

i hope bay area real estate goes up faster than it ever has before and literally everyone but billionaires are priced out forever, for your sake op

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought commercial leases included utilities

and are multi-year so they're just paying for unused office. it's driving my boss absolutely bananas

lmfao have you never heard of triple net

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

afaik in Detroit you pay your commercial utilities on your own since landlords don’t like buildings set above 65f when it’s below 0 outside

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
triple nut

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

i hope bay area real estate goes up faster than it ever has before and literally everyone but billionaires are priced out forever, for your sake op

I reckon its pert-near time sell the family farm. It is a hard decision but we [looks at my children, wipes away a tear] we're willin'. [hitches up overalls, cashes check for $180m]

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

pert-near
farmers don’t have time to talk good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i get to spend all day every day with my family and actually see the kids grow up

A lot of parents hate doing this and can't wait to go back to work lmao

Apr 7, 2003

I've probably mentioned this before but watch The Queen of Versailles, it's about some new money guy who marries a woman half his age and has a new family in his sixties, dude's a billionaire and the first thing he does after he wakes up is go to a little room in his basement and lock himself in so his family can't bother him. big lols

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my parents were both super excited when my dad's retirement came around so they could spend more time together :3: although my dad is kinda bored now and wants to go back to working 1 or 2 days a week lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i don't want to work today. what i actually want to do is clean my windows and my bathroom and get rid of my "to donate" pile. not sure if donations are being accepted so if not i'll go stash them in my in-law's basement until next year.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

my parents were both super excited when my dad's retirement came around so they could spend more time together :3: although my dad is kinda bored now and wants to go back to working 1 or 2 days a week lmao

buy him an account and introduce him to c-spam, old people love politics

Apr 7, 2003

Buy your dad an account but introduce him to ADTRW instead

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’ve enjoyed eating all meals with the kids and wife and generally seeing them a bunch more.

still I’d love it if I could on-demand be alone for when I really need to get something done. I’m definitely a fan of ~*deep work*~ and crushing something for a few hours is still more productive than a normal day of interruptions and chasing email, whether in the office or not.

lol that our cfo straight up told me he was way more productive and finished his work in half a day. good on him for having the huevos to just come out and say it

Apr 7, 2003

My brother went 100% work from home and told me that he feels like he only gets four or five hours of work done a day that way

dude, that's all you ever got done, you just filled the rest of the time with in-person shitposting

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

buy him an account and introduce him to c-spam, old people love politics
i would never encourage anyone let alone family to self harm

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

farmers don’t have time to talk good.

yeah they’re too busy nailing them selves to their crosses

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

dude, that's all you ever got done, you just filled the rest of the time with in-person shitposting

exactly

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A lot of parents hate doing this and can't wait to go back to work lmao

yeah idk why they had kids other than for some sort of status symbol

a few of our friends like to put their kids to bed at 1900-1930 and its like 1) congrats theyre going to wake you up at 7a 2) in michigan it's light outside until 10p so brilliant strat there 3) will you literally die if you spend time with your kids? how much time do you actually get with them if you finish work at normal times? a max of three hours?

Apr 7, 2003

Last year we were at Ikea for one thing or another and a couple our age came in except they had young twins. They both looked so exhausted and unhappy and it really stuck with me lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
you don't have kids because it makes you happy or enhances your life in the short term; you make kids to satisfy biological imperative

although yeah some people just do it b/c of status even though they don't really want kids and that's really loving sad for everyone involved

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

a few of our friends like to put their kids to bed at 1900-1930 and its like 1) congrats theyre going to wake you up at 7a

dunno how to break this to you TT but these are very normal hours.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

President Beep posted:

they what

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

This sounds like my dad. His boss made him take some vacation time, and instead of just relaxing he completely reorganized the garden.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

you don't have kids because it makes you happy or enhances your life in the short term; you make kids to satisfy biological imperative

although yeah some people just do it b/c of status even though they don't really want kids and that's really loving sad for everyone involved

in countries like the us where parents don't get the support they need, parents tend to be slightly less happy than before they had kids. however, in places like norway where they do, they're happier. it's the lack of social support making people unhappy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

in countries like the us where parents don't get the support they need, parents tend to be slightly less happy than before they had kids. however, in places like norway where they do, they're happier. it's the lack of social support making people unhappy

:hmmyes:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

I've probably mentioned this before but watch The Queen of Versailles, it's about some new money guy who marries a woman half his age and has a new family in his sixties, dude's a billionaire and the first thing he does after he wakes up is go to a little room in his basement and lock himself in so his family can't bother him. big lols

this movie is amazing and weirdly sad.

sad in a way where you don’t feel sorry FOR the people in the movie, but instead sorry for the society that created them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

yep

kids need a shitload of sleep

Apr 7, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

this movie is amazing and weirdly sad.

sad in a way where you don’t feel sorry FOR the people in the movie, but instead sorry for the society that created them.

Their house was a duplicate of the Palace of Versailles.

No, not the one in France, the one in Las Vegas lolllll

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yep

kids need a shitload of sleep

yes i know that part but why would you put them to bed so early when you can put them to bed at 10p and have them sleep until at least 10a

my 4mo old is currently doing 1a->1p and its great

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yes i know that part but why would you put them to bed so early when you can put them to bed at 10p and have them sleep until at least 10a

my 4mo old is currently doing 1a->1p and its great

Giving your kids a head start on being a goon, waking up at the crack of noon

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

yeah when i was in my teens and 20s i looked back and wondered why i woke up so early apl the time as a lsmall child. like, up at 5-6 am. and then in my 30s when my friends started having kids i learned that it’s actually because they get put into bed at like 5:45

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

our kiddos usually have lights out around 8:00’at the latest.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Giving your kids a head start on being a goon, waking up at the crack of noon

lol. I can’t help but think this too.

Apr 7, 2003

I worked second shift for years and since I couldn't wake up early and do 3-11PM I would get up at noon or 1PM and it really sucked poo poo, felt like the entire world was going by without me being involved.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i did second shift too. back then i was in my early 20s though so by the time i got out of work all the drinking and whatnot was still in full swing so it wasn’t too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I was too broke to drink, I used to go home and play WoW until 5 AM. It was a pretty lovely life.