Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah and obviously don't get a babby monitor that connects to the internet in any way

unless you want strangers watching your child sleep (or using the microphone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc posted:

I really really get a ton of mileage out of my Kindle, and it's the best thing possible to read in bed when it's darker, the battery is forever.

I've seen the ReMarkable though and now I really want to get one to play with but I know I'd under-use it unless I really worked to find a work use for it.

I actually just bought one because they were cheaper on the preorder and I had almost exactly the right amount of money in a paypal account where some copyright payments land :toot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's going to be weird in here in 10 or 15 years when we're all still posting about computers and height and McDonald's but the parent chat will be about teenagers

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

It's going to be weird in here in 10 or 15 years when we're all still posting about computers and height and McDonald's but the parent chat will be about teenagers

half my friend's kids are in high school or college now and the other half are in kindergarten, idk how that happened vOv

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do you perhaps frequent reddit and refer to children as crotch goblins?

I like kids.

I'd never have any in this world lol

I'm one of eight kids. Only two of my siblings have had any.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i never wanted kids, just don't have that in me

my two brothers have five kids between them. i don't know how many kids my half brother and half sister have.

Apr 7, 2003

My brother has a twelve year old son who referred once to the Geneva Conventions as the “Geneva Suggestions”.

Born poster, can’t compete with that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah and I have no idea what I'm doing lol

you’re off to a typical start then. also, as with most things in life a great deal of the advice you’ll receive is stupid bullshit so don’t be afraid to disregard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My brother has a twelve year old son who referred once to the Geneva Conventions as the “Geneva Suggestions”.

Born poster, can’t compete with that.

lol.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

also if you have any questions, ask, not just me but you never know who’s been through it and has an insanely good tip. also parents (usually irl ones you run into) who laugh the whole thing off and say it’s easy are almost always lying to you in some way lol

haha yeah one friend had a super easy time with her first and really annoyed her own sister who had the opposite problem, then her second was a total screaming nightmare and she was like "oh"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

1) get a camera/monitor for the crib. also a white noise machine

2) research sleep training and how early you can start

also those rockers and swings are not meant for infants to sleep in, and don't get those "crib bumpers" or "crib liners" either. newborns are supposed to sleep on their backs in an empty crib, not strapped down or with anything in there at all

monitor is next on the list I think. was just gonna go sound only though. And yeah I heard those bumpers we all had when we were kids are super bad

President Beep posted:

you’re off to a typical start then. also, as with most things in life a great deal of the advice you’ll receive is stupid bullshit so don’t be afraid to disregard

i mean I'm getting tips from yospos here so yeah

j/k everything is welcome and I'm mainly just looking for the validation that nobody knows what the gently caress. Much like with my posts about actual code!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

j/k everything is welcome and I'm mainly just looking for the validation that nobody knows what the gently caress. Much like with my posts about actual code!
Humans have been parenting for untold millenia and are still clueless about it

So when you join a big company with a long storied history of <x> and it seems like no one actually knows anything we should perhaps not be surprised

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the biggest shock to me on each and every new day is that anything in this world has ever worked or continues to work at all

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

in america, things are working as intended. the rich folks have parties that have covid test screens before you go in, and all the poor folks working service industries are told they'll be fired without unemployment if they don't work anyway. anything else still working in the meantime is a happy accident.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

everything is just duct tape and zip ties all the way down

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

for me, having a conceptual understanding of parenting was like playing with a snowglobe: you can swirl it around in your hand and see how your movements make a neat little blizzard. then after actually having a kid though, i found myself actually inside the glass, experiencing the maelstrom from a whole new, intimate, and alien perspective.

that’s my stupid analogy. thanks for reading. like and subscribe for more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ShadowHawk posted:

Humans have been parenting for untold millenia and are still clueless about it

for 99.9% of human history we were okay with a 10-30% infant mortality rate. We appear to be 'clueless' about it today because there is an absolutely incredible amount of effort put into dropping that rate to zero. nobody remembers the 2 year olds that died in 1947 from sticking a fork in a light socket or the millions of infants that died of sids. they got a tiny gravestone and the family moved on and the parents tried again.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

monitor is next on the list I think. was just gonna go sound only though. And yeah I heard those bumpers we all had when we were kids are super bad

if you get one with a camera they typically switch the video on when the mic picks up sound above some threshold, or just continuously relays the audio. video's handy to be able to determine whether the babby's all the way awake or just settling themselves back down, without having to open the door and committing to waking them up

we got this one because it lets you remotely rotate the camera and also reports the temperature of the room, but that stuff really isn't necessary

oh yeah also make sure to get a diaper pail that uses regular garbage bags, the ones that use their own proprietary bags are bullshit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

for 99.9% of human history we were okay with a 10-30% infant mortality rate. We appear to be 'clueless' about it today because there is an absolutely incredible amount of effort put into dropping that rate to zero. nobody remembers the 2 year olds that died in 1947 from sticking a fork in a light socket or the millions of infants that died of sids. they got a tiny gravestone and the family moved on and the parents tried again.

“sids” basically means “we have no idea why this baby died” in the first place

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i thought they determined that sids was probably just people shaking their babies to death.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
sids is still a thing and it’s super duper sad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

“sids” basically means “we have no idea why this baby died” in the first place

so one of the things that newborns hafta develop is this rousing response, basically before that they can't figure out that they've stopped breathing while they're asleep

this is made worse if they're positioned badly while they're asleep, because the lack of rousing response means they can't shift themselves to breathe easier while they're asleep either. this is why you put them on their back to sleep and why you can't have absolutely anything else in the crib with them

they develop this around... 6 months i think? it varies and it's different for boys and girls, but there's a peak at some number of weeks after birth when sids is most likely, we know quite a bit more about it nowadays

Apr 7, 2003

Sudden Internet Dick Suckin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Senior Interim Director of Sex

Apr 7, 2003

Selling Incest, Duggar Style

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Severely Inflamed Dong Sores

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you get one with a camera they typically switch the video on when the mic picks up sound above some threshold, or just continuously relays the audio. video's handy to be able to determine whether the babby's all the way awake or just settling themselves back down, without having to open the door and committing to waking them up

we got this one because it lets you remotely rotate the camera and also reports the temperature of the room, but that stuff really isn't necessary

oh yeah also make sure to get a diaper pail that uses regular garbage bags, the ones that use their own proprietary bags are bullshit
seconded but temp reading can be handy to know if you don’t have an easy way of knowing otherwise

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
senescent internet dying scene, yospos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

don't black babies still die at 2x the rate of white babies in america?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i know black people are dying at 2x the rate of white people of covid, so it tracks

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Uptime Sinclair posted:

sids is still a thing and it’s super duper sad

idk why people are making such a big deal out of sids I had it and got over it just fine

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

idk why people are making such a big deal out of fas I had it and got over it just fine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

6+ months in is anyone else not getting anything done before noon

gently caress no

however i'm working after hours way more because that's when my brain is working best anyways

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i’ve found some parents who make a big deal about having lots of freedom have their kids’ grandparents who live with them (or nearby at constant beck and call) and who do little else besides taking care of the kid(s). “we can do what we want if we plan it out” is usually dumping the kid(s) on their free babysitters and letting them figure it out

yeah we know a few couples like that and they’re terribly smug about constantly inconveniencing their parents. “oh why don’t you see if they can have a gramma/grandpa night??”

“because the only grandparents capable of keeping up with my two year old still work and can’t be exhausted the day after”

Uptime Sinclair posted:

sorry to go off on you tt. i guess the only safe thing you can say as a current sane parent within earshot of other (current, questionably sane) parents is “we’re lucky and have found a way to make it work”.

nw and I’m sorry if I’m oversimplifying how difficult it can be sometimes, I’ve admittedly been extremely lucky to have easy going kids

I’m currently watching footbaw with my youngest asleep on my chest :3:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i am so loving glad i'm not in school right now because jfc doing it all via zoom has to be the worst thing ever and i 100% would be failing every class

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is sids when children choke in their sleep or is it something else? my first was a nightmare when it came to choking in his sleep so i had to make him sleep next to me until around 6 months old or so

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is sids when children choke in their sleep or is it something else? my first was a nightmare when it came to choking in his sleep so i had to make him sleep next to me until around 6 months old or so

this sounds utterly terrifying op

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

sids is when they stop breathing for no apparent reason and don’t have that manual “oh poo poo we gotta breathe here bud” response yet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

sids is when they stop breathing for no apparent reason and don’t have that manual “oh poo poo we gotta breathe here bud” response yet

Babies are maybe even dumber than horses

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

poor old baby, saw a “you are now breathing manually” meme and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so one of the things that newborns hafta develop is this rousing response, basically before that they can't figure out that they've stopped breathing while they're asleep

this is made worse if they're positioned badly while they're asleep, because the lack of rousing response means they can't shift themselves to breathe easier while they're asleep either. this is why you put them on their back to sleep and why you can't have absolutely anything else in the crib with them

they develop this around... 6 months i think? it varies and it's different for boys and girls, but there's a peak at some number of weeks after birth when sids is most likely, we know quite a bit more about it nowadays

my children avoided this by never loving sleeping