Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

haveblue posted:

not really. so far as we know the virus does not hang around in the air for very long after being sneezed or coughed out so as long as no one does either of those things directly at you you should be ok. the primary means of transmission is thought to be surface contact. hence the emphasis on washing your hands, not touching your face outdoors, and sneezing/coughing into your elbow, the most effective stifling maneuver

this does not stop me from being constantly anxious that I or my SO are not staying the recommended 6 feet from people when outside

I've heard that the virus remains viable just fine in moisture in the air at ambient temperatures for up to an hour. However, it breaks down significantly faster in the presence of UV radiation (sunlight). So walking around outside on a sunny day where you don't touch things is probably okay, in-doors air circulation systems are less okay.

But nobody really knows and everything I just said is just heresy like everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

you mean the people of marin "measles cluster" county aren't taking an infectious disease seriously?

telling rich people they can't go to the beach is the greatest crime of all

in this case I think it was less the people of Marin themselves so much as that tendency of the entire bay area (well, all of California really) to try to relocate to a small area whenever some stressor comes up

"heat wave" weekend? everyone tries to cram into Santa Cruz/half moon bay/Monterey/etc
shelter in place lockdown but some outdoor recreation is ok? try to cram into Marin county

im sure the Santa Cruz mountains also had a bit of an uptick but they don't have quite as strong of an army of angry hawks willing to call every authority they can think of when things get crowded

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

NZ is shutting down on Wednesday with 48H notice and it’s unclear if the movers we booked for next week are still going to be available so we’ve been in a mad rush to get everything moved ourselves NOW before the lease ends at the end of the month

on the plus side if the movers turned out to be available after all then we’ve saved a lot of money on their hourly rate because the only stuff left will be the things we can’t move on our own without risking a hospital visit ourselves (washer/dryer, fridge) and the landlord is cool if we leave those for a bit longer

picked a real bad time to be moving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hed posted:

This is awesome, but I can't get that file thing to work. Can you try posting it on something like https://send.firefox.com/ ?

https://send.firefox.com/download/55656f21119f686a/#33labujsXMiRARnA0bMx-w

better get on it because it says it expires after 1 download and i can't change it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

better get on it because it says it expires after 1 download and i can't change it

you can try https://wetransfer.com/ free up to 2gb and they keep it for 2 weeks iirc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if mediafire is still around they were always a pretty reliable file host site for poo poo i didn’t care about. they may be a spyware infested kgb front these days though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

thank you and thanks fellow yosposters for not claiming that. I appreciate it.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

first day of wfh ever with half an hour to go, have opened a beer

it's not mandatory in our company yet but i just mentioned i have been coughing to my superior and he forbade me to come in and personally delivered my laptop + stuff to my door

could be worse

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I went digging around for something on a shelf full of junk and struck gold

basically unused but already out of the package so I can't donate it. SO is wearing it to work every day now since her place apparently will never close

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
wfh done right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i went out to move my car for the street cleaners this morning and was informed by my neighbor (from fifty feet away) that they aren't doing street cleaning or residential overtime parking tickets any more. i can park in front of my house forever! fuckin A

i would absolutely have expected that giving parking tickets would be considered a 100% essential service and they'd be out in force but i guess we can have some nice things

e: and motorcycle parking at the meters is now 10 cents an hour. gently caress yeah

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 23, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

burning swine posted:

I went digging around for something on a shelf full of junk and struck gold

basically unused but already out of the package so I can't donate it. SO is wearing it to work every day now since her place apparently will never close

same here we apparently have two since i used to have a terrible dust and pet dander allergy (shots finished just as this started too) and ms. vector thought itd be smart to wear them while cleaning, which i mostly ignored so theyre in okay shape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nyc suspended alternate side parking for a week about a week ago, I haven't checked if they've extended that but yeah got to minimize reasons to go outside

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
One of my co-workers literally murdered another one over the weekend.

Like, with a knife.

They were friends with each other outside of work - I think the murderer probably just cracked and broke.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Poopernickel posted:

Like, with a knife.

They were friends with each other outside of work - I think the murderer probably just cracked and broke.

"now you tell me how it feels with the loving eels and the loving crabs coming out of your eyes!"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Poopernickel posted:

Like, with a knife.

one of the sons that lived next door to my teenage home murdered his best friend in the face over $50 of oxycontin and then rammed a police blockade and got to spend the first 3 years of his prison bid in a wheelchair

the parents burned the house down. my brother went down to the Hometown last year and said there were nothing but old cinders and a foundation left. they never even sent a cleanup crew

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

one of the sons that lived next door to my teenage home murdered his best friend in the face over $50 of oxycontin and then rammed a police blockade and got to spend the first 3 years of his prison bid in a wheelchair

the parents burned the house down. my brother went down to the Hometown last year and said there were nothing but old cinders and a foundation left. they never even sent a cleanup crew
americas heartland - the moral center of our great nation

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

Like, with a knife.

so you're a linux developer

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Poopernickel posted:

Like, with a knife.

jesus

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

Like, with a knife.

i do kind of wonder how many empty desks we'll have at the office when i get back in a month.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/danhey__/status/1242009293462765568

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Welp, there's the stay at home order for WA

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Scud Hansen posted:

Welp, there's the stay at home order for WA

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

school is cancelled for at least five weeks. the kids are loving driving me mental as I work from home so I have bought them a Nintendo switch each but apparently they want to play the same god drat game and the same god drat time god drat it why can’t they be happy with a stick and some string

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

heaven help me if I should actually have to parent during this wfh time

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’d rather spend hundreds of dollars on mindless tech rubbish than spend quality time with my children.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I’d rather spend hundreds of dollars on mindless tech rubbish than spend quality time with my children.

tale as old as time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i was already planning on asking to wfh starting this week but the decision got made for me when someone in the office tested positive

fortunately my boss is a good sort and insisted everyone is now wfh for at least the next two weeks

echinopsis posted:

I had to shave

F M L

now you can tell I don't have a chin :cry:

i've decided i'm gonna spend the next two weeks growing out a beard. gonna take a selfie each morning.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
think people have been panic buying wahl clippers?

I really should have gotten a haircut earlier

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

trying to get the government to lay some loving fibre to the farm.

sick of this adsl bullshit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fibre up my rear end

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol the entire work conference system is hosed today and they've had to boot the offshore locations off to try and free up capacity, gonna be a quiet morning!

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Good parents give kids gifts in trying times and help them overcome hardships through a combination of personal relations and teaching valuable lessons of sharing good experiences with their siblings

ask me about playing pokemon with my sister on my original Game Boy and her on her much color see-through Game Boy Mini when I was in hospital as a kid

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
a car with a loudspeaker just drove by and blasted the neighbourhood with an announcement asking everyone to stay inside “not just today and tomorrow, but for the whole duration of the epidemic”. creeped me out

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
it's cool, trump is very upset about the number going down so its time to sacrifice the poors and olds to try and make it go back up (it will not go back up just because people get forced to go back to work)

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 24, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fabricated posted:

it's cool, trump is very upset about the number going down so its time to sacrifice the poors and olds to try and make it go back up (it will not go back up just because people get forced to go back to work)

that texas guy saying "I think a lot of people would be happy to die to save the economy, I know I would" is amazing, trump will make him head of fema

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fatal Error posted:

a car with a loudspeaker just drove by and blasted the neighbourhood with an announcement asking everyone to stay inside “not just today and tomorrow, but for the whole duration of the epidemic”. creeped me out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K3bBqKRaGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gf's work gave her a wfh laptop except it came with a misconfigured vpn so it wasn't actually usable for that purpose :ughh: