Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PCjr sidecar posted:

also ‘eat local’ for produce is a root cellar nine months of the year

with a very little effort you can definitely get winter greens and brassicas though which is nice

shoeberto posted:

ime the midwestern blandness is like a side effect of just living "simple" ie non-adventurous lives. You raise your chicken, you grow your taters, you boil the poo poo outta both of them and serve em up and wash it down with cheap beer. No one travels anywhere and there's no reason for anything more ethnic than a chain pizza place to move into town so it's not like you get exposed to anything different. The differences in palate between people who stayed around home and people who got any exposure to anything else is pretty staggering. Maybe not all small midwestern towns are like that, but that was my life growing up.

that’s kind of just an excuse though and romanticizing it. like a refusal to even add a little black pepper or garlic to stuff, which is common, goes beyond “living simply”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mediaphage posted:

that’s kind of just an excuse though and romanticizing it. like a refusal to even add a little black pepper or garlic to stuff, which is common, goes beyond “living simply”

Don't get me wrong, I'm not romanticizing it, I think it's dumb. Both my wife and I grew up in similar towns but in different areas and our families have the same sort of weird anxiety about trying anything with unfamiliar flavors, or really just anything with flavor at all. My wife's grandma will literally complain about Prego spaghetti sauce being too spicy. It's a pretty regular frustration whenever we visit them or vice versa.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
sure. a lot of that is just being picky, though, and we accept it because of tradition and some non existent ideal of simplicity. it’s not much different from the online goons who refuse to eat much besides chicken nuggets.

i get the frustration though. my parents flat out refused to get chinese because it was “furn trash”, and were even skeptical of o’charley’s for being too foreign

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i prefer chicken tendies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

i prefer chicken tendies

how many good boy points do you have to save up?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

how many good boy points do you have to save up?

this year the local turkey i got came w/ 100% of the internal organs still intact and i had to clean out the body cavity and ive never done that before, surely that earned me some good boy points

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

this year the local turkey i got came w/ 100% of the internal organs still intact and i had to clean out the body cavity and ive never done that before, surely that earned me some good boy points

yeah but you've probably got one hell of a deficit to overcome

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

yeah but you've probably got one hell of a deficit to overcome

:smugmrgw:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

le canape chaud

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mediaphage posted:

in that case perhaps i can interest you in a willy waller 2006?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJgQCbRsq-I

oh god, les têtes à claques was like someone's flash animations mid-2000s leaked into the Quebec mainstream. It started from a few online videos people would forward to each other and it quickly bubbled into a whole loving beaten-dead-horse-as-a-business, where they got media deals, DVDs, merch, a TV Show. Think of the wassuuup poo poo from budweiser, but it's boomers just making jokes about these characters nonstop around the holidays and repeating catchphrase after catchphrase after catchphrase regardless of context. This stayed way past its time; the guy even tried to push a movie, and I just looked it up and as of a year ago he was still releasing god drat videos under the same 13+ years old concept.

EDIT: this specific video's frenglish is actually mocking all the lovely american "as seen on tv" commercials that get badly translated for cheap runs on quebec tv, and uses a broken mix of the languages for that specific purpose of "scammy US garbage"

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 4, 2020

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

wtf is this clutch escargot rear end poo poo

did y'all miss this because seriously lol

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

MononcQc posted:

oh god, les têtes à claques was like someone's flash animations mid-2000s leaked into the Quebec mainstream. It started from a few online videos people would forward to each other and it quickly bubbled into a whole loving beaten-dead-horse-as-a-business, where they got media deals, DVDs, merch, a TV Show. Think of the wassuuup poo poo from budweiser, but it's boomers just making jokes about these characters nonstop around the holidays and repeating catchphrase after catchphrase after catchphrase regardless of context. This stayed way past its time; the guy even tried to push a movie, and I just looked it up and as of a year ago he was still releasing god drat videos under the same 13+ years old concept.

Takes me back to this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkrpbCikQ4g

At least Steve Oedenkirk knew when the concept was dead and moved on to his cinematic masterpiece,,,, Kung Pow Enter the Fist

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Also western salad is basically just lettuce, and a shitload of cheese.

indian food is what you do when you actually make a cultural culinary history out of vegetables and it is delicious.

if you arent afraid of pickling things you can make lots varieties of kimchi, or a thai cucumber salad. those are great as a side salad replacement and not just lettuce

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

shoeberto posted:

At least Steve Oedenkirk knew when the concept was dead and moved on to his cinematic masterpiece,,,, Kung Pow Enter the Fist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

shoeberto posted:

Takes me back to this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkrpbCikQ4g

did he though?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MononcQc posted:

cajuns are technically the remnants of white french canadians from acadia who were deported by the british in an attempt to suppress the non-Englishness out of em all

they were deported because there was a big war happening with the french and indians at the time and the acadians occupied land the english wanted and kept provisioning their enemies

Kenny Logins posted:

episode 277 of the dollop podcast (“the acadians”) was surprisingly good on the subject

that 'sode of the dollop tries really hard to make it sound like a genocide, but you may be surprised to learn that a comedy podcast isn't that well-researched

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

taking the weekend to rationalize this, will check back in Monday thanks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

shoeberto about to get jokerfied

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they were deported because there was a big war happening with the french and indians at the time and the acadians occupied land the english wanted and kept provisioning their enemies

“occupied land the English wanted” is a peculiar way to describe colonialism

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what’s your take on the Armenian genocide and how Armenians were to blame for pissing off the ottomans during a war there ?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MononcQc posted:

That's the definition of colonialism?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MononcQc posted:

are you trying to say the french weren't trying to colonize their way westward?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that 'sode of the dollop tries really hard to make it sound like a genocide, but you may be surprised to learn that a comedy podcast isn't that well-researched
i’ve been raised among acadians and you may not be surprised to find out they also feel it was at least ethnic cleansing, because it literally was

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MononcQc posted:

what, you mean the colonial war i mentioned? big lovely one, lotsa people killed, mostly french?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Methanar posted:

are you trying to say the french weren't trying to colonize their way westward?

they definitely were, though their approach was historically a bit more collaborative with the aboriginal populations than the English in North America, it was clearly not anything other than colonisation as well.

I wouldn’t be the kind of person to otherwise say that adding an extra layer of colonisation is defensible even if the first one wasn’t a good thing either.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my general understanding of european colonialism in lower canada/the great lakes/the northwest territory wrt interactions with the indigenous people is that the french sucked, the british sucked worse, and the americans sucked the most.

e: or is it upper canada? idk. idk!!

President Beep fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 4, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

my general understanding of european colonialism in lower canada/the great lakes/the northwest territory wrt interactions with the indigenous people is that the french sucked, the british sucked worse, and the americans sucked the most.

e: or is it upper canada? idk. idk!!
lower is quebec and eastward

the acadians got along fairly well* with the indigenous folks in the area at the time, which only solidified the case that they were the Dreaded Neutrals to be nipped in the bud as soon as practicable

*to the point of intermarrying, at least

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Yeah the French generally got along better (which is not to say "well") with the aboriginal populations. Intermarrying was common and the clergy was hella pissed about colons going in and "turning savage" by adopting their rites and practices. There were historically greater efforts to collaborate such as the Great Peace of Montreal to end the beaver wars and strike a treaty across nouvelle france and 39 "indian" nations.

A lot of these wars were also proxy-wars between France and the British and the Dutch by trading weapons to various first nations and while France was overall less lovely, it shouldn't be confused for actual respect when it comes to anything looking like human rights. Nouvelle-France even had a bit of slave trade going on (~20,000 recorded) and had a general rate of 2 pawnees for 1 black person in terms of how they'd fare, with any slave being considered chattel.

"the french sucked, the british sucked worse, and the americans sucked the most" is likely a solid rule of thumb.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MononcQc posted:

Yeah the French generally got along better (which is not to say "well") with the aboriginal populations.
"the french sucked, the british sucked worse, and the americans sucked the most" is likely a solid rule of thumb.
:hmmyes:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My grandpa was of Acadian stock in northern Maine. Barely diggity-huit miles from the border he was

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

i’ve been raised among acadians and you may not be surprised to find out they also feel it was at least ethnic cleansing, because it literally was

tbf that was also what we were taught in louisiana history, they compared it to the trail of tears lol

but yeah "catholic french colonial" isn't particularly distinct, though i'm sure anti-catholic sentiment was part of it

here's what wikipedia has to say about it

quote:

Faragher compared the expulsions to contemporary acts of ethnic cleansing. In contrast, some leading historians have objected to this characterization of the expulsion. Historian John Grenier asserts that Faragher overstates the religious motivation for the expulsion and obscures the fact that the British accommodated Acadians by providing Catholic priests for forty years prior to the Expulsion. Grenier writes that Faragher "overstates his case; his focus on the grand dérangement as an early example of ethnic cleansing carries too much present-day emotional weight and in turn overshadows much of the accommodation that Acadians and Anglo-Americans reached."[108] As well, the British were clearly not concerned that the Acadians were French, given the fact that they were recruiting French "foreign Protestants" to settle in the region. Further, the New Englanders of Boston were not banishing Acadians from the Atlantic region; instead, they were actually deporting them to live in the heart of New England: Boston and elsewhere in the British colonies.

While there was clear animosity between Catholics and Protestants during this time period, many historians point to the overwhelming evidence which suggests that the motivation for the expulsion was military. The British wanted to cut off supply lines to the Miꞌkmaq, Louisbourg and Quebec. They also wanted to end any military threat which the Acadians posed (See Military history of the Acadians). A. J. B. Johnston wrote that the evidence for the removal of the Acadians indicates that the decision makers thought the Acadians were a military threat, therefore the deportation of 1755 does not qualify as an act of ethnic cleansing. Geoffery Plank argues that the British continued the expulsion after 1758 for military reasons: present-day New Brunswick remained contested territory and the New Englanders wanted to make sure that British negotiators would be unlikely to return the region to the French as they had done after King George's War.[109]

tldr war is poo poo and wars of imperialism are esp poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArIxAJAVDYQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what, you mean the colonial war i mentioned? big lovely one, lotsa people killed, mostly french?

The French and Indian War happened in and around Pittsburgh.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Does Louisiana* even think of itself as "Dixie" though? I thought they had their own little racist melting pot** thing going on (much like Texas, actually)?

*: More like "Loserana", ammirite?
**: "Gumbo", if you must.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 4, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf that was also what we were taught in louisiana history, they compared it to the trail of tears lol

but yeah "catholic french colonial" isn't particularly distinct, though i'm sure anti-catholic sentiment was part of it

here's what wikipedia has to say about it

tldr war is poo poo and wars of imperialism are esp poo poo
yeah anti-catholicism was just factor against the acadians but it probably wasn’t the tipping point either

i’m not going to bat for them any further than I already have. i’d just say it was clearly ethnic cleansing and time spent saying “whoa whoa whoa it wasn’t technically a genocide” is time wasted, is all. i don’t think the concept of genocide is being deprecated when applied to 1755 in that area

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i get to find out today after 5 whether i've gotta go into a crowdedass courthouse next week for jury duty

wondering how the upcoming statewide lockdown will interact with this lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i get to find out today after 5 whether i've gotta go into a crowdedass courthouse next week for jury duty

wondering how the upcoming statewide lockdown will interact with this lol
oh btw since i last pissed and moaned about no one masking at work but me there’s been a re-read of the restrictions and now my worries have been addressed. feels good tbqh

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kenny Logins posted:

oh btw since i last pissed and moaned about no one masking at work but me there’s been a re-read of the restrictions and now my worries have been addressed. feels good tbqh

Now they even stopped pretending that masking-up was a requirement and you're at least happy that the pretense is over?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

i’m not going to bat for them any further than I already have. i’d just say it was clearly ethnic cleansing and time spent saying “whoa whoa whoa it wasn’t technically a genocide” is time wasted, is all. i don’t think the concept of genocide is being deprecated when applied to 1755 in that area

yeah it's really six of one half dozen of the other when compared to colonialism/imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Now they even stopped pretending that masking-up was a requirement and you're at least happy that the pretense is over?
nah, they’re all masked all the time except when in an office alone (like i was doing and still do). they’re also very strict on people allowed per meeting room where before they’d hang out at a lunch or boardroom table without masks and drink coffee/eat lunch while talking with like 4 people etc