Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

it's french anime, like that daft punk one
It's animé

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

who tf cares what Jonny or anyone else watches just leave him be

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i just want it to be successful so that the creators get their very well deserved credit and respect, and also so that they make more. everyone knows that jonny is an influential thought leader

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

Jonny watch the drat show, even just the first episode. You won't regret it

Look at that shot. That is a random establishing shot from a random episode i clicked on with zero main characters in it in a location that is visited just this once in the entire series and LOOK AT HOW DETAILED IT IS. every single shot is like that. the amount of work that went into this series is insane and honestly it's sort of funny that the fact that it has the "league of legends" name attached to it seems to be a significant drag, since it is a cinematic masterpiece just on its own. they should have just called it "arcane" and never once mentioned league

this looks like a blender demo from somebody desperately trying to graduate and escape the clutches from full sail. sorry bro ilu but no

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they probably got a flat rate from Netflix for the work and it being successful on Netflix only gives Netflix more money

Netflix doesn’t deserve your money

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'll give it a shot. i wasn't going to because i don't know the first thing about league of legend

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
but i have a lot of jojos to watch first

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

this looks like a blender demo from somebody desperately trying to graduate and escape the clutches from full sail. sorry bro ilu but no
The static images admittedly don't look that great and the art style is pretty generic, but the actual animation (as in the motion, direction, and cinematography) is pretty decent.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

in coronavirus news i guess covid boosters are now open without restrictions to 18+. made an "appointment" at costco for monday. although i don't think it was an actual appointment, it let me book the same time for both me and my wife. hoping it's not too crazy there, i want to get it done before the pre and post-thanksgiving rushes,

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

is it still supposed to be immunocompromised or just everyone 18+?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i believe it’s everyone over 18 can get a shot now without restrictions. not that everyone wasn’t already getting one but still.

i believe the official cdc language is that people over 50, or people with underlying health conditions “should” get a booster, and everyone else over 18 “may” get a booster.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
they keep running ads for that league show during wrestling so I guess I’ll watch it

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
As a wheel of time fan I was disappointed from start to finish with the first episode, and probably won’t watch the rest. Even accepting that the show cant be the books, it’s just not well done. It’s like if Legolas surfed down the steps at helms deep and kickflipped the shield at the end, then looked directly into the camera just to make sure you knew the writers were doubling down on “this isn’t your grandpa’s LOTR”.

There’s a ton of overwrought severity in the acting and they lean way too much on an understanding of the source material to give meaning to what’s happening on-screen but at the same time, the people watching with that understanding are the ones most able to pinpoint how they’ve taken the thematic and character concepts from the books and done nearly the exact opposite. To everybody else it’s half fantasy Deadwood, half Moiraine glowstick raving, half M. Night’s Avatar.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

The Magicians reconciled this truth by just having hot girls in short skirts do the magic

also that magical cum drinking element

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my wife watched the magicians show and there was an entire season with a shrill as gently caress noise in the background all the time "for efffect" or some poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i tried watching the magicians and it had a very strong joss whedon vibe to it. i noped out after a couple episodes

locke and key kinda has the same energy but it was dialed down enough that i still enjoyed it even if i rolled my eyes a few times. prob gonna check out season 2 if i run out of other stuff to watch

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the magicians show gets better the further away from the source material it gets

as far as the books go, I actually enjoyed 2 and 3 more and 1, despite Quentin and the fillory/narnia stuff being garbage I really enjoyed the magician king/queen stories and the magician info-broker story

basically, all the supporting characters and the non-narnia world building is good

Quentin and narnia stuff is pretty bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Fool posted:

the magicians show gets better the further away from the source material it gets

i feel that way about the legend of neil

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that arcane show is legit, I hope it wins a bunch of awards for the art direction and production design

also I watched my criterion edition of repo man, movie holds up except for the frequent homophobia, it's also funny that they filmed it in that part of downtown la where they film goddamn everything now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

that arcane show is legit, I hope it wins a bunch of awards for the art direction and production design

also I watched my criterion edition of repo man, movie holds up except for the frequent homophobia, it's also funny that they filmed it in that part of downtown la where they film goddamn everything now

you mean the full sail blender portfolio art direction?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Empty Pockets posted:

As a wheel of time fan I was disappointed from start to finish with the first episode, and probably won’t watch the rest. Even accepting that the show cant be the books, it’s just not well done. It’s like if Legolas surfed down the steps at helms deep and kickflipped the shield at the end, then looked directly into the camera just to make sure you knew the writers were doubling down on “this isn’t your grandpa’s LOTR”.

There’s a ton of overwrought severity in the acting and they lean way too much on an understanding of the source material to give meaning to what’s happening on-screen but at the same time, the people watching with that understanding are the ones most able to pinpoint how they’ve taken the thematic and character concepts from the books and done nearly the exact opposite. To everybody else it’s half fantasy Deadwood, half Moiraine glowstick raving, half M. Night’s Avatar.

Try at least the second episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stereotype posted:

Look at that shot. That is a random establishing shot from a random episode i clicked on with zero main characters in it in a location that is visited just this once in the entire series and LOOK AT HOW DETAILED IT IS. every single shot is like that. the amount of work that went into this series is insane
lomarf are you serious

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Look at that shot. That is a random establishing shot from a random episode i clicked on with zero main characters in it in a location that is visited just this once in the entire series and LOOK AT HOW DETAILED IT IS. every single shot is like that. the amount of work that went into this series is insane and honestly it's sort of funny that the fact that it has the "rick and morty" name attached to it seems to be a significant drag, since it is a cinematic masterpiece just on its own.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lomarf

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fart simpson posted:

you mean the full sail blender portfolio art direction?

I have a weak spot for art nouveau/belle epoque styling, this is like the dishonored games but without the weird distorted bodies. the characters are generic [especially when they get their comedy gigantic in-game gear] but the design of the city and the animation itself is top notch. I also liked when it switched styles and got more abstract, ie the bridge fight in ep 8

it’s not perfect but when you realize this is the standard of netflix original animation it looks pretty drat good by comparison

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

Jonny watch the drat show, even just the first episode. You won't regret it

i downloaded the first episode of this just to be polite and it won't play the audio and the keyframes are all hosed up. The animation looks like loving Fortnite. this is awful and i'm deleting it. i cant believe i spent ratio on this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

I have a weak spot for art nouveau/belle epoque styling, this is like the dishonored games but without the weird distorted bodies. the characters are generic [especially when they get their comedy gigantic in-game gear] but the design of the city and the animation itself is top notch. I also liked when it switched styles and got more abstract, ie the bridge fight in ep 8

it’s not perfect but when you realize this is the standard of netflix original animation it looks pretty drat good by comparison

i don’t actually have an opinion i was just quoting jonny because i thought his comment was funny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lmao so several members of my family work for the feds and one of them has a boss who has been threatening to retire in the wake of the vax mandate biden supposedly announced not too long ago

well it turns out that in order to retain staff the powers that be are now allowing "religious exemptions" lol i wonder if they even made this dude say which one in order to claim his

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i cant believe i spent ratio on this

people still give a gently caress about ratio on torrent trackers? l m f a o

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

people still give a gently caress about ratio on torrent trackers? l m f a o

people rich in ratio, yes

even jeff bezos complains about the price of a cup of coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ur stealing it wrong

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

source?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

people rich in ratio, yes

i witnessed andy jassy bitch that beer was more expensive on concert nights than kraken nights not 2 weeks ago

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i'm enjoying the arcane show :shrug: ty for the recommendation

husband is kinda meh on it, but i think it's neato

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

your replacement rick and morty screen grab is significantly less detailed tho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao so several members of my family work for the feds and one of them has a boss who has been threatening to retire in the wake of the vax mandate biden supposedly announced not too long ago

well it turns out that in order to retain staff the powers that be are now allowing "religious exemptions" lol i wonder if they even made this dude say which one in order to claim his

they allowed religious and exemptions from basically the day they announced the mandate. at the moment, everyone is still processing them, and expectations are most will be denied, but we'll see

both require documentation, but the religious one is literally sending an email saying you have a "sincere religious belief"

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My dad works for a USDA office, it sounded like the mandate (or reason? Doubtful) got most of them vaxxed. At last check a month ago there were only 2 holdouts in an office of ~10. It's a very, very conservative office (think fox news on the break room tv nonstop) so it was a pleasant(?) surprise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

according to this report, 90% had gotten at least one shot as of monday. additional info suggested another 5% were seeking exceptions, and the final 5% weren't complying. i suspect a large number of that last group are dying boomer who should have retired years ago, anyway. (word is that retirement-eligible people who don't comply will be allowed to retire without an issue, rather than be fired)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
According to my dad there is a big contingent of rear end in a top hat boomers just punching the clock til retirement, yeah. They don't have any real skin in the game. Our tax dollars at work.