Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DuckConference posted:

they just announced that we are returning to office (for 3 days per week) in april

we are already suffering massive attrition among our most effective and senior people, and I've got to imagine that RTO is going to make that worse, since I've been seriously considering joining that attrition (not that I'm particularly senior or effective)

on the other hand leaving BigTech after years is scary. also I've barely written a line of code in months since I've mostly been a pseudo project manager so I guess I have to grind out some coding exercises. but I definitely want to see if I can get out without taking a paycut so I'm gonna see what's out there.
I learned this week that a couple of my immediate teammates had switched to permaremote and up until now it seemed implied it wasn't really an option without transferring to another team.

You may have more success issuing an ultimatum than you realize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The recruiting poster philosophy ("If not you, then who?") still gives you great leeway to focus on self-care. Indeed, even if you wish to work on nothing but genuine charity, making your life's work actually sustainable is the best way to do that.

Everyone loses when you burnout, and the solution to that is not "ignore that I'm burning out because people need me". Internalize this, and be happy taking your time and only helping where you genuinely can without overburdening yourself.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Gnossiennes posted:

anyway his ~concern~ comment was because i wear headphones to concentrate on work, because we are surrounded on all sides by ee labs in an open office and the fans are extremely loud :( also people are loud, because open office floor plan. gently caress open office floor plans.
Back when I worked for a startup there was this new prototype server in the office that was noisy as gently caress and I kept complaining and our CTO got snippy at me in group email for stirring up poo poo

So I grabbed a decibel meter, measured the thing, and reply-all'd asking where I could find my OSHA-required ear protection during work hours as I'm concerned about the company's potential liability

It got immediately moved and that was the last I heard of it