Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

our Tokyo office is in full WFH mode, the only previous experience they have with this is when they did a pilot for about 500 staff a few years ago. now we have 150k+ people WFH. for some of them this is the first time they have seen their wives and families during the week for 10 to 20 years.

edit: so if they can deal with it that scale of change to their culture a bunch of confused white people can manage

this seems pretty generous to confused white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

someone had mixed the test results so the person at wife's job was negative after all :cool:

it's amazing that there have been like five total tests and they still managed to gently caress this up

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

sorry for the reddit post but i’m on my phone so can’t strip out the reddit poo poo but holy gently caress look at this

cans someone plz just post the gif or whatever

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/fvyi5h/us_weekly_initial_jobless_claims/

https://twitter.com/DorsaAmir/status/1246077693889851392

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hey beep, Michigan made the national news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/15/an-caravan-angry-michiganders-exposes-complicated-politics-coronavirus-shutdown/

it'll sure be great when these fuckers are clogging up the hospitals in two weeks

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i am currently using it with nikon's webcam utility, but it seems to only get about 20fps and doesn't use the camera's microphone, which is a pretty ridiculous oversight. so i bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C3NG9W/ on the recommendation of another poster and i am gonna try it out when it gets here on the weekend. i assume that would work for your sony too

I've got something like this that works great with my Sony

some apps don't seem to like its output but it works fine for zoom so w/e, nobody wants to see me all that well anyway

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm in better shape now than in January by leaps and bounds, what with excising meat almost entirely from our diet, getting on a statin and exercising a lot more, and not having restaurants and bars to constantly indulge in.

Doctor's office called yesterday to say my total cholesterol is down from 270 to 180 since then. Blood pressure was 124/77 when I got it taken too.

Hopefully I can keep the fitness side going into winter when there's snow on the ground, a stationary bike at home isn't the same.

get a fatbike

I'm not even joking, they're so loving fun; you can ride through inches of snow and a lot of trails will be maintained or even groomed during the winter, and you can use it as a regular mountain bike even when there isn't snow on the ground

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

looking out the window of my home office just now, noticing the low angle of the sun. getting those comfy autumn feels...

through the smoke plumes

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

i live in michigan. those are actually my dank vape clouds.

I do too (Lansing) and the explanation we'd been hearing for the sky looking all weird the past few days is that the smoke from the west coast fires was making it all the way here

your explanation makes a lot more sense though

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 17, 2020

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

poo poo id love a sony a7iii tho it looks sooooo good

at this point it's worth hanging on to see if the iv actually comes early next year

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Reminds me of when someone referred to Italians as “spaghetti benders”

this was the name of an Italian restaurant in the town where I grew up, the food was roughly on par with a middle school cafeteria. actually if you had told me that those Hong Kong Italian restaurant photos from earlier in the thread were taken at that restaurant I wouldn’t have batted an eye

there was also a pizza shop that sold and proudly advertised as their signature dish a sandwich called the “wop-a-ho”. western Pennsylvania everybody

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

holy poo poo they're both still there

https://bobsatsamypizza.com/
https://spaghettibenders.com/

at least bob's removed the hyphens from "wop-a-ho"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

here is the bob's sign in case you have any questions:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

back when they kicked us out of 412 i remember being super mad about it but now that i have the perspective of both adulthood and not having lived there for almost twenty years it was probably a pretty good move on the part of the 412ers

PCjr sidecar posted:

i see the italian/native american slurs there but I don’t get it; is it supposed to be ‘tomato’ or is there some reference I’m not getting? some capicola -> gabbagoul illiteration?

i have no fuckin clue and either 1) it's some stupid inside joke that only fourth-generation natives of that town will understand or 2) already put more thought into it than they did

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

alie ward had that guy on an episode of ologies and it was really interesting

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Wegmans is incredible but it's really something that your other examples of heaven are the most interchangeable fast casual grease dispensers in the country

five guys and moes, lol. i can walk to either of those in Lansing loving Michigan of all places but why the hell would you when within three miles there are local family owned places that taste ten times as good and cost half as much as these knockoff chain wannabes

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echi the term for that is "job creator"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

america is the scene in the simpsons where marge is abducted by bikers and she starts teaching them how to wash their clothes because they've been hitting and punching and cursing at the stains and they just won't go away

not even close

for one thing, the bikers actually learned and applied the lessons as I recall

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol the dumbest

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

we can’t park on the street here past 2:00 am. :/

this is loving infuriating because it's not like they plow or sweep the streets here anyway, and as far as I can tell there isn't any other reason for a policy like this besides "gently caress you". and nobody here seems capable of imagining a better way of doing it. trying explain even-odd parking to the natives is like trying to teach algebra to a pug

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

there's this astounding brand of learned helplessness that's always, always articulated in a manner dripping with totally unjustified smug self-satisfaction

"hey, why don't you guys use reflectors on the roads in addition to the painted lines? or at least maybe use a paint that doesn't turn invisible when it gets wet?"

"oh you see we have WINTER in Michigan so that can't work"

my dudes

there is winter in other states, often significantly harsher winter, and they have solved this problem

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

what state uses reflective paint but also has snowy winters? it's for sure not minnesota

when I lived in upstate NY this never seemed to be a problem

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

our cheap poo poo MNDOT only builds intersections with crosswalks on 3 of the 4 sides. want to cross along the 4th side? you're waiting 3 full cycles.

"gently caress you pedestrians"
--midwestern urban planners

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

that and red + green = brown. i also learned this by making homemade christmas bath bombs. imagine sitting in a giant pool of warm liquid stool that smells like pinecones

*dashing in, out of breath*

don't...sign...your...posts

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i predict road accident at like 2x covid deaths in TX in the coming week

lots of people dying with road collisions

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

first jab next weekend holy poo poo

is this real

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

rotor posted:

you cant' spell mrnagic without mRNA

also without case insensitivity

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I think a lot of people still assume that things will just eventually be okay and that we don’t have to do anything. that’s what has always happened before.

tbf this is how the boomers won ww2, no reason it shouldn't work this time

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

antiviral for covid

"for" seeming like the operative word in that sentence:

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1521249046425440258

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Transportation policy needs to meet people where they are, otherwise people might not listen to transportation policy in the future. Speed limits no longer exist and killing other people who slow you down by five seconds on your commute is legal now.

was trying to find the tweet you're quoting here but then I remembered that this has been the policy since before Twitter existed, so it's time to start searching transcriptions of Nixon speeches or something instead

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

search Leana Wen's twitter, she's on her Brookings Institution poo poo again

I was riffing on Tori's transportation policy satirization by observing that it basically describes our lived reality already, and has for decades:

Transportation policy needs to meet people where they are, otherwise people might not listen to transportation policy in the future. Speed limits no longer exist and killing other people who slow you down by five seconds on your commute is legal now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

honestly you were so dead-on close to reality with that post that absent any context, it wouldn't have been obvious which was the satire and which was the original tweet

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big shtick energy posted:

i I

I
my

for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

graph posted:

yeah lol

more people do this than theyre aware of and when you notice it you see it pop up a lot

i i i i i i i me me me me me i i i i

yeah

it must be so loving exhausting being the protagonist of reality

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 24, 2023