Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
two week mandatory WFH due to my partner coming back from Japan. the way things are going I don't think I'll be back in the office after that time is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
taking to a guy at work whose sister picked it up transiting through Dubai. she’s okay thankfully. I’m now at second hand distance, in a few weeks I think it will be first hand.

I’m almost half way through my two weeks, it’s very annoying not being able to go to the gym. on the other hand I’ve done lots of cooking and not resorted to delivery yet.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

lancemantis posted:

also lots of management boomers are workaholics that resent being home so keeping people coming in let’s them continue coming in

our Tokyo office is in full WFH mode, the only previous experience they have with this is when they did a pilot for about 500 staff a few years ago. now we have 150k+ people WFH. for some of them this is the first time they have seen their wives and families during the week for 10 to 20 years.

edit: so if they can deal with it that scale of change to their culture a bunch of confused white people can manage

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 14, 2020

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

triple post: it'll be real tempting to do this but do not do this. yeah gently caress work i don't care about that- you'll feel like poo poo. get out of bed at the same time, take a shower, get dressed, use your lack of commute to cook yourself a nice breakfast. it makes a huge difference in your mental well being

do this, I’m having the healthiest tastiest breakfasts at the moment and it rocks.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
tecatevirus

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
chimayvirus is going to be hosed

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Broken Machine posted:

it's funny that corona is pretty much dead as a brand due to this

there was a big Australian office fitout company called ISIS, they ended up changing

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I’m thinking about getting a bunch of aerobics videos or something, maybe some neon headbands and go full nineties. i’d finally managed to get my fat rear end into the gym regularly and now the gym is a place full of moist surfaces that will be a no go zone for six months.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
getting lots of emails from wine shops and restaurants telling me about their home delivery options now, as a relatively securely employed person I want to help them all but I know some of them just won't make it :(

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

one of the most darkly funniest things to me is how modern conservative politicians, unlike the old school ones, will sell out for an abolutely inconsequential sum of money.

like, if you're going to grift, GRIFT. get a couple million bucks. but we have all these idiot state congress members and lovely mayors selling out and wrecking their entire lives for like $18,742. it's shameful. respect the game at least jesus christ

i've thought about that before and i can only assume its because unaccountable money has more utility, ie it's easier to spend 10k in dirty twenties on hookers and blow than it is to spend 50k of IRS audited money that shows up on a statement

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Shaman Linavi posted:

got to sign the employee work from home agreement which says the company can come over and inspect my home workspace whenever they want and also they might even give me a warning beforehand

I think I’ve got this too, it’s an OHS thing. if you work from home that’s your place of work and we have a no fault work comp scheme so if you trip over your cat at home it’s claimable.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
there’s going to be billions in these worker’s compensation claims paid out for mental health being harmed by wfh too, it’s just one of like 642 things that are going to be completely upside down in six months coz of the rona.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
getting to do lots of cooking is the saviour of this situation, I made a kg of lasagne and I’ve got goat in the freezer to make some curry goat tonight. I think I’m going to do some reading though old cook books and see what is makeable at the moment. a lot of ingredients can be delivered but we are still able to go out for weekly shopping runs. I miss proper sushi a lot though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
had my telehealth with a GP about something and she mentioned that they have had several people come in and ask for coronavirus testing after eating a chili that was too hot

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

right now they're predicting a 15% drop in student enrollment next semester and the realistic assessment is that that's optimistic. that translates directly into about 150-300 adjuncts getting canned unless the union manages to pull something off. rip

what happens to tenure if the institution goes bankrupt?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
thanks that's interesting. in Australia our universities are massively dependent on foreign students so it's likely that 20-30% of them will go bankrupt, not the same as the US of course.

I saw this on Scott Galloway's twitter, it's full time MBA students though so I'm sure there is not a tiny enough violin to express our distress

https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1253061916039225346

his take is basically that no one is going to pay 160kUSD for two years of bad zoom classes.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

galloway blocked me on twitter because i called him a pundit when he was signal boosting david loving brooks

haha yeah he’s an investor class pro Biden parasite, but he has a degree of self awareness about the fact that it was mostly white privilege that got him there so i get something out of his stuff

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

graph posted:

has chairchat been had yet

my $100 officemax chair is not privy to weeks of this. tried to borrow my office chair but was in no way fitting in my car

leaning towards getting work to pay for a steelcase criterion. any feedback

my partner and I are both in humanscale liberties which have been great. bit cheaper but than the Hermann millers etc

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

DuckConference posted:

sure, all of that would massively slow the spread, but I don't see how it would stop it. so far it turns out no country has successfully contained the spread of the virus. china (eventually), singapore, and south korea came close but ultimately failed, and the US government ain't exactly singapore.

Australia and New Zealand say hello, both being island nations with decent healthcare and populations who listen to their governments occasionally. then again ask me in three months.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Agile Vector posted:

ohio just announced their limited reopening and its basically 'if your job can be done remotely, stay there' so it looks like its more lunches with my dog on the patio and good home coffee

in other words working poor get the rona, others not so much.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I wanna do an exchange for uni to NY or Chicago in October next year and I’m dubious about that timeframe

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
sorry to be the “well here in Australia” guy but here I go anyway-

they changed the law last week so that for the next six months our landlord can’t evict us (even for non payment) and can’t increase our rent. however as some sort of weird conciliation to the landlord class I am not allowed to move out of the property either without going through a court process, even though my lease ended a year ago and it’s now month to month. sucks if I wanted to buy a house or something.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
going to the barber tomorrow for the first time in three months, i can't wait.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah no raises here, salary cut for VPs and above etc. they are still hiring but at a much reduced rate. they are firing people but in that quiet piece by piece way - you find out that a team of 20 erp developers in Poland got
axed one week, then 10 BAs in Colorado etc.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

cheaper houses, i hope.

that or full on mad max. i could go either way.

the number of white boomer property owners who die will be minuscule compared to poor renters sadly

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Melbourne going back to only five people allowed in a house because community transmission is growing again. We only have 25 new cases today (not all community) but thats twice what we had yesterday :(

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's not really a hipster thing, it's more a "I don't want to pay $7.99 for a single shave" thing

it’s this. the brushes are usually massively cruel to animals so if you want that then go synthetic, but it will save you $300-400 a year if you are a daily shaver.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
my grandpa went to Egypt in WW2 and never said a thing a thing about to my father or anyone else. he came back and spent the rest of his life running a nursery and giving plants away because he didn’t like to charge for them.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
he also did the electrical wiring in their house which was destroyed by an electrical fire a few years ago so the nursery thing is probably best.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
if product managers want to get paid for their work they should go be entrepreneurs instead

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
from wesnesday its mandatory to wear facemasks outside and $200 on the spot fines for not doing so in my part of the world. stayin inside for ever, i found a place that delivers fresh from wholesale butchers and stuff so I'm just going to make bulk amounts of food.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I can get an entire pig delivered to my apartment, it's going to be great

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

fart simpson posted:

there used to be a muslim butcher in shenzhen that would deliver a whole cooked goat anywhere in the city with 24h notice for $100

yeah i want that. i'm on the wrong side of melbourne to have good cheap halal butchers, and it would definitely cost more than that.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
wfh since March here is as well. some days I’m productive but others not so much, I’ve mostly just sick of discovering new aches and pains for being on my rear end inside every day! I’ve booked Monday off as leave for the next few weeks which has been a winner though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
now done with one week out of six weeks of iso lockdown. luckily this week this guy has started visiting us and has been making poo poo okay:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
driving my fast car noticeably improves my mood even in traffic. it’s okay to enjoy driving a fun car just don’t use it as a tool to gently caress with cyclists or spend 80k@19% or whatever

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I may be feeling the lack of broom broom at the moment because I'm not allowed to drive more than 5km from my house at the moment and even then only if I'm going for groceries

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

don't be dense; nobody's talking about commuting in gridlock. going out for a drive on a twisty road through a pretty place (or a ride on a motorcycle, or a sail in a boat, or a buzz around in a plane) can be inherently fun. some people like operating the machine. some people like the speed and acceleration. some just like to move around and see things.

if you hate driving in every form, cool, whatever. lotsa people don't

if we transition to 90% remote work after all this I might as well go full stupid and buy a caterham or something. probably sucks for groceries though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've been spending a lot of time in the spare bedroom just because I end up tossing and I don't want to inflict that on my wife. A phenomenon that started this year.

haha tossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

It's sad though because i actually bought it to buy watch lovely movies while flying for work travel, and guess what I don't do any more

yep I bought a 10.5 inch iPad pro with the idea I was going use it as a laptop replacement and it ended up being my plane movie machine. now it sits in the kitcken to display recipes and has curry stains on it.