Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
as of today it me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a note just got slipped under my door that "confirmed cases are now within the operational footprint of management" which I suppose is management speak for "someone in your building tested positive"

:yotj:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
looks like the country is about to enter The Cool Zone

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i don't need no authority

down with the molar majority

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm pretty sure i'm going to get corona every spring and fall until i die at the ripe old age of 53

i just want to outlive nargle, it's my duty to give her the fullest and longest happy life that i can. that's honestly all i care about any more.
it's everyone's duty to outlive kissinger

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if your clothes go from fresh to funky fast just stop wearing cotton that poo poo just absorbs every smell

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Scud Hansen posted:

I really like autojump. You just type "j [part of the name]" and it ranks the dirs by how often you visit to figure which you probably mean

Pair that with oh my zsh and the autocomplete plugin and you save a looooot of typing
isn't this "z" which I use every day and love

https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/tree/master/plugins/z

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
this is the worst mouse smoothie i have ever tasted

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

the impression i get of jonny 290 is that he's riding this torpedo that we call life until it explodes

but with a bigger beard

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i think its great how our society breaks us from biphasic sleep and many people hate it and just never really adapt and don't know it's even a thing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

it's not tho. remember that a third of the the country (and realistically more than that since polling is poo poo) has said they won't get it because they have brain worms. this will be with us forever.
after the mission accomplished banner then airs the hottest new reality show, "Big Game Hunters" where men in trucks go around firing darts at recalcitrants

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i have a burning hatred for leaf blowers. end them all

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if you just got your 2nd shot, take some tylenol when you begin to feel sore it helps and was what was recommended to me

e: acetaminophen specifically, not ibuprofen

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 8, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
autism awareness month should be about a lot of people discovering that they are some flavor of autistic / adhd / ND

it's practically a meme on tiktok that if you are neurodivergent in any way your FYP quickly morphs into people who describe your exact personality traits and end with "by the way, for me this is caused by [executive disfunction / sensory overload / masking] so uh maybe go get tested by a professional"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's super useful to use the correct language and also come in with prepared specifics about how your life is negatively impacted, there's a difference between self-education and self-diagnosis which is why the last two words in my post was professional opinion but you seem super ready to tell someone they aren't qualified to know themselves even in the abstract

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
three lies in one sentence

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

none school with left parents
i can't let this gem be overlooked

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yep my yellow fever card was conveniently sized to be stapled into my actual passport so i could return to the non yellow fever having world.
this is a pro move, mine is just clipped in with a binder clip because it folds open and also i figured it was illegal to staple the passport for some reason

when i got my shot i asked if there was a stamp for covid yet and they were completely flummoxed. i guess the yellow cards really that rare i dont think they had ever seen one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
this was from a bunch of pages ago but my tiktok is filled with people pointing out that america literally killed its poor cheap workforce by keeping them in service jobs during the pandemic and the reason everyone is whining about being unable to find workers now is not just because people dont have to take those lovely jobs because of financial support its that a whole lot of people that were working those jobs have just loving died or can no longer work due to now being disabled (or been killed through negligence, depending)

(england but same poo poo)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 12, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hell yes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Posting "get therapy" at people who are taking care during a mass death event is absolutely gaslighting though, and he should eat a ban for doing that poo poo constantly.
therapy can help you cope with unexpected and difficult life events which is why some specialize in bereavement, it isn't always about working out past personal trauma but i gotta be honest you for you it could be a little of column a, little of column b

e: i only say that because we all know way, way too much of your personal history than internet strangers probably should

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 13, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i cant speak for anyone else but to me the therapy part might center around why you seem to have this deep-seated need to justify your actions and decisions to internet strangers and crave validation so much that you're willing to consistently throw down over pretty much any comment made to you over a period of several years

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the pathological part is you not just rolling your eyes and moving to the next post or channeling that energy into something productive rather than antagonistic because people are gonna be wrong on the internet that's just a thing that happens

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the extra distance can be a positive in some cases like different varieties of anxiety, plus people largely feel safer and more comfortable in places like their own home, and as a bonus you don't have to get dressed up and drive somewhere so the barrier to entry for a session is so much lower (and the session availability is wider since distance is less of a concern)

therapy's largely verbal so it sort of makes sense that it works okay over zoom for some people, and better than in-person for some select others

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
theres some real poo poo going down in therapy land right now with cbt being widely criticized as an outdated strategy that refuses to properly acknowledge the role of society and culture on people's mental health; it largely doesn't acknowledge or account for externalities such as late-stage capitalism and prejudice and other real factors that people experience

studies keep coming out that shows cbt just doesn't really work very well and its becoming outmoded, tl;dr dont do cbt and don't continue a relationship with a therapist that does because they aren't keeping up-to-date with science in their field

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

what's the new hotness then?

it has been years now but i did cbt but also my therapist was really big on acknowledging the world is lovely and even from my privileged position it causes me issues and helping me come up with relatively healthy coping strategies for things i can't control
there isnt really a new hotness people are just flailing around rn, some are exploring dbt or sfbt but whether its any of these or another approach, some are taking another hard look at common factors theory which basically says that all of these approaches are similar and your individual relationship and trust with the therapist is more important in terms of efficacy than any specific technique

like, if you're in the deep south and going to a cis white therapist as a BIPOC and/or LGBTQ+ they're almost definitely going to have bias and the industry is trying to grapple with it. it's also exponentially harder to actually FIND a non-cis-white-middle-class therapist because their industry "weeds" them out similarly to other health-related and STEM fields so guess what the literature and studies are as biased as any you'd find elsewhere.

what do you do when the culture you live in literally doesn't care if you live or die? there's no therapy that is going to solve that and so all you can do is treat the symptoms with coping mechanisms

the industry is also screaming about how there desperately needs to be more therapists because shockingly there's a huge wave due to covid and economic factors

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 13, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
in this analogy you're standing up on a coffee table at a party with a loud voice proclaiming "i love wearing condoms, i repeat, i love wearing condoms" over and over and then berating people who are trying to get you to get off the table and chill

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Video Nasty posted:

gently caress it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
anyone who wants to go back is just using it to escape their home life by putting that burden on others

don't go back to the office. you have the power to say no and you absolutely should. boycott it. it's like the one sliver of power you still retain in this capitalist hellworld

e: besides, delta variant comin' and it's gonna be bad. everything is going to be shutdown this fall because it's gonna ravage huge swaths of america

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 16, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mystes posted:

Everyone's eventually going to go back just because managers/executives don't personally like wfh (or at least their subordinates being allowed to wfh).
they're going to TRY and make everyone come back. that's why solidarity is important. you can literally say no

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
so glad chat is irreparably broken when you try and copy a ``` block out of teams, you either get too many newlines or no newlines

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

friend of mine goes there and the exterior photos don’t really do justice to the damage those assholes did. the doors have stained glass above them and it’s all gonna need to be replaced due to the soot and burning.
last page but some pics/vids of these people hanging out and fist bumping with cops have come out, because of course they have

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Look if you're like me and live alone in a 500 sq ft apartment and want to go to costco once a year for paper towels and bags and maybe splurge on some meat and muffins that you seal and freeze but a full membership is expensive here's my hot tip

a member can buy you a costco gift card and then you get to go in free with it. once a year my family buys me a $50 one as a gift and then i use it, hope this helps someone

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah idk what makes a bmi 25-30 worse for covid, but overweight and normal usually have very similar life expectancy overall, usually even skewing longer for overweight (even with increased risk of non-fatal cardiovascular diseases). you get into BMI over 30 territory and that’s where life expectancy starts to fall off.
life expectancy living in new york is much higher than would be expected after adjusting for various factors and many doctors posit it's likely because of less sitting in cars and more walking around per capita, even just normal walking around for a few dozen minutes a day has enormous health benefits but most of the country's car-bound culture lacks that but you can see an uptick in adjusted statistics in cities with good public transportation

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a third of all children that died of covid in the states have died in the past 2 months

quote:

“We saw a massive surge of hospitalized young children during Omicron that we didn’t see in the earlier months of the pandemic,” said Jason Kane, a pediatric intensivist and associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Chicago Comer children’s hospital.

Since the beginning of the year, 550 children have died from Covid-19 in the US, compared with 1,017 children in the preceding 22 months, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

we have about 2-3 weeks before the BA.2 spike hits in the states (currently cases are ~20% and doubling every week) so if there's anything you need to do outdoors you need to do it soon. USA lags the rest of the world by about a month, so if you want to see what it's going to look like you just need to look overseas

unvaxxed are hosed, previous infections provide no protection after ~3 months, other variants provide no protection at all, vaccinations have ~93% chance of keeping you out of hospital according to studies out of denmark & finland but you're still going to catch it as it's insanely infectious and you've got a 1 in 3 chance of developing long covid once you do. it's a mass disabling event more on the order of polio, not the flu

i personally think the coming months are going to be the worst it's ever been, once it starts hitting the news at least all those back to the office plans are gonna get canned just like last year

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
CDC just said open 'er up, you can now fly if covid positive and don't need to test anymore and they asked for people to stop reporting covid numbers to them because they aren't going to be paying attention to travel figures anymore

this will definitely go great

e: in perfect comedic timing, pelosi tested positive today (and was at a party with a whoooole bunch of people yesterday for the new chief justice)

Things are trending upwards as predicted though there's no huge spike yet; BA.2 is now the dominant strain in the USA, numbers are being vastly underreported everywhere as there's mass shutdown of official testing clinics and moving to in-home rapidtests which aren't tracked

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 8, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
what, haven't you heard of double autism?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it can be insanely hard for non-white-men to get diagnosed with adhd and ASD is twice as hard as that because of inherent bias, it's real bad, statistically speaking

also adults in general because the entire system is geared for kids

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
maybe that's why a bacon cheeseburger and little fries (no drink) is $20 here

at some point I stopped going as it feels like outright gouging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.