Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

i'm already remote but every event i was scheduled for is cancelled/postponed up through the end of april at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I suggested to my elder boomer parents, who both still work preventing the melins from two good paying jobs - one in education, the other in medicine - that they might want to wind it down a bit and sort of isolate themselves from the riff-raff for a bit because you know, they are the viruses target group.

ďnah, we never get sickĒ

O K B O O M E R :xd:

KO Boomer

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

at first i was thinking we'd peak in may but now i think it might be earlier because it seems that for as lovely as the federal response has been, states are pulling their head out of their rear end and doing the right thing

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

gabensraum posted:

but if they're doing it right shouldn't it peak later (and lower)?

i think we're gonna peak earlier but with a lower peak

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i feel like Iíve trained my entire life for a crisis situation where I can be a hero by sitting my rear end at home and posting

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

WINE is not employment, dude

:thurman:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

you guys don't seem that worried, cspam is pretty gloom and doom about what's going to happen

i mean it's probably somewhere between cspam doomers and "things'll be back to normal in a few weeks" but who knows. if there's an effective treatment even without a vaccine then that probably keeps it from becoming catastrophic because you won't flood ICU's with people needing ventilation to survive.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

florida is probably hosed, inshallah

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Midjack posted:

for what itís worth my brother is an actuary for a global insurance company and he said the industry estimates last week were half the 1918 epidemic.

that would mean weíre in for a fatality rate of 1.5% of the global population this time.

not terrible, not great

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

what is the over under on this pandemic radicalizing the masses to true progressiveness? I am so tired of so many things...

outlook not so good

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

re: o'reilly events, it's probably a combination of them trying to get out of the events biz in the first place but my personal theory is that they weren't able to get released from multi-year event contracts and killed off the events side of things as a way to write off those contracts

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

except for that thing where covid might trigger a systemic inflammation in kids that looks a lot like kawasaki disease

but no, let's just throw them all back in the ball pit what could go wrong?

not to mention potentially turning tens of thousands of children into asymptomatic carriers who can go infect mee maw and pep pep

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

you donít need a lockdown for 18 months, you need a very good lockdown for like six weeks and use that time to produce ppe, contact tracing, quarantine procedures, etc. then let people out with social distancing guidelines. you can burn the virus out.

the US ofc has done the worst possible thing which is to half rear end every step of that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

fart simpson posted:

i wonder why more people donít shoot up billionaire compounds, government offices, or corporate headquarters instead of schools

i mean at least 50% is because you'll get ventilated if you try that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

If you want to take direct action that will make a difference then start phone banking or canvassing. It's not sexy and it won't make you a martyr, but it actually works(!) and you won't get banned.

yeah that's why bernie sanders is the democratic nominee for president what with his record-setting phone banking/canvassing turnout.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

President Beep posted:

no, really, he poured lava all over my log cabin the other day.

owned

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Stereotype posted:

man so weird that the cops tear gassed the protesters against cop murder but not the armed terrorists who shut down the legislature. so weird. huh. gosh.

yeah real weird how that keeps happening

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Stereotype posted:

it sucks when you realize that your side not only lost all the battles but also the war

even better when you realize the war was lost before you were even born!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ironicat growing in size until it consumes the entire known universe dot gif

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ban trump for mod sass

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

The reason they don't want you working remote from another state or especially country is that there are complicated tax things involved

those are things your payroll processor should probably just be able to handle though. other country is harder because you need to be incorporated there, i'll grant that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

my work basically stopped talking about "coming back to the office" at all

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

the longer this whole poo poo goes on the more I wonder if it's ever actually going to end

like, I don't think the united states is going to ever actually be able to get rid of this and there's just going to be a third wave and then a fourth wave and then a fifth ad apocalypticum. this means the rest of the world (especially your northern neighbour) is going to just be hosed forever because for better or worse we can't just cut off freedomland

the only way this ends is if everyone who refuses to wear masks etc croaks of it and that's going to kill tens of millions of people who *are* taking precautions

i mean it'll end eventually, one way or another.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Third wave? We haven't finished the first.

Supposedly the general agreement among experts so far based on the current various vaccine tests is that an effective vaccine for covid is very likely. I have a feeling that you're not gonna see a lot of anti-vaxx poo poo gaining traction after another 5-6 months of this before the vaccines start showing up.

For capitalism in America to really function properly everyone needs to be able to go back to work without people just randomly causing outbreaks which shut your businesses down for weeks at a time- if the human misery doesn't get the dumbest loving people in our country to get vaccinated, our glorious corporate overlords will MAKE them get it by making vaccination a requirement for employment (they will also not pay for it).

i suspect anti-vax sentiment might widen a bit after trump tries to dr mengele his hand at widespread distribution of first-wave vaccines that were rushed through trials. remember, the only criteria for success is "better than getting coronavirus, even slightly"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

lol imagine trump trying to ride a motorcycle

i would pay a hundred dollars to see a video of donald trump trying to ride a motorcycle or a bicycle

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

you notice i'm single now!

HEYO

bazinga

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

man I really do want a loving hair cut

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lol theres europeans in this industry slack im in that are talking about conferences starting back up in november or whatever, fuckin unreal. we're not gonna be able to leave the US for years.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Methanar posted:

I sort of sympathize with everybody who voted for trump because they wanted to shake things up and break the american establishment deadlock. Even if they didn't believe in trump's promises, they just wanted movement away from the (extremely low quality) normal.

I guess they got what they wanted, kind of.

but they didn't, that's the stupidest part. outside the artifice, trump is running bog-standard republican plays! if he gets re-elected, its going to be on the back of the dumbass churlish libs turning everything he does into the second coming of satan because all that it does is tweak the endorphins in the brain of his base that just want to see other people suffer. the usps stuff is a great example of this - very little of what's happening to the post office is that wacky from established party orthodoxy. they're cutting hours (because they're controlling costs) and they're reducing letter sorting capacity because nobody loving send letters.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The reductions to letter sorting capacity are actively costing them money

it isn't about controlling costs

That said Republican orthodoxy is worth getting worried about in and of itself.

one-party country, but in typical american extravagance, they have two of them etc.

i think this was basically the last chance for some sort of vaguely meaningful electoral solution to The Problems and it's not gonna happen regardless of who wins in november, so I hope everyone is ready for more bombings in minecraft over the next ten years or so

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I mean no ones gonna let sulk live down the puppy mill poo poo either, take the lumps and post on

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I would bike more if there were no cars or more protected bike lanes

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

ladies and gentlemen of the class of 99, wear sunscreen.

lol we were so naive

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

classic rock is mostly garbage

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

looking forward to another week of not leaving the house

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

nice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Imagine watching Star Trek and the pad things and realizing, back then, that they'd actually exist within 25 years but they'd be used to accuse Hillary Clinton of breeding children to drink their souls lol

yeah lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hed posted:

LOL, my buddy sold his road bike to this guy today: https://www.fox5dc.com/news/arlington-cyclist-who-hurled-insults-exposed-his-backside-arrested

He had the same one in black. Bet he's getting rid of it now so that no one notices him. He said he was a Procrit racer in the '80s so my buddy looked him up and welp.

Super nice guy tho.

nega-shaggar

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

its one positive case per column per day

daily spreadsheet overflowing by 2-3k a day the 16k column limit in exel

why would they make the date the column value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency