Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Using a nice shaving soap that smells good and makes you feel good elevates it to a luxury treatment too.

This was a key element for me. Helps makes shaving less like a chore and more like a worthwhile ritual, if that makes sense.

That and badger hair for the brush, foams up more easily for some reason.

Been using the same strait razor for 8 years now, itíll probably outlive me. Never goiní back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

I always use a witch hazel base solution, reminds me of summer vacations for some reason.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Proustís Rememberance of Things Past but instead of dipping a madeleine cake in some tea he dips his freshly shorn balls into some astringent.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Iíve got a copper still on order so soon enough Iíll be making my own herbal concoctions to voluntarily burn my skin with. Gonna finally put all that lemon balm thatís been taking over to good use.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

When I was little back in Texas my dad told me to avoid armadillos because they're radioactive. I confronted him about it like 20 years later and he said "well technically son, all living things emit a bit of radiation", so that's me owned.

He also convinced me that jackalopes are real, but only common back in Lubbock so wasn't going to see any.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

I'm totally going to do that stuff when I have a kid. Things like "ya know, back in <wherever my future wife's family comes from> they used to eat pinecones for fun" and see if it comes up at a thanksgiving years later or something.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

PokeJoe posted:

eagerly awaiting the post where you're waiting in the ER because your kid ate a pinecone

Well hopefully I'm a good enough parent to teach my kids how to chew and not swallow things like a duck.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i mean they do carry leprosy so that's probably good dad advice you were given there.

a classic I heard is that the ice cream van only plays music when it's run out of ice cream to save you a wasted trip

Yeah he told us that armadillos are radioactive and have leprosy, which sounds crazy as hell but turns out the leprosy part is real!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

I got into distilling over the summer and it rules. That is, everything around distilling rules but the act itself is pretty boring.

Just doing essential oils and hydrosols in a 10-liter setup for now, eventually going to get a bigger one and start going for the real deal. If I pull the trigger soon there might be enough time left in the season for some nice apple brandies.

Favorite so far has been the hydrosol from distilling the needles from my pine tree out front (scots pine I think). Got a liter of the stuff, put it in the diffuser and the house smells like a deep forest I love it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

I miss going to the bar and hanging out and shooting the poo poo with people so goddamn much.

Got a handful of locally made liquors on the way today, gonna end Sober October in style.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Achmed Jones posted:

there's a good Steinbeck quote about how Montana is actually like what Texans think Texas is like

From Travels With Charley! As a Texan I loved that quote. He put it in there to poke fun at his wife who was from Austin.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

ďWord around the office is youíve got a fat cock.Ē

Inappropriate!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

My front door is custom-made with a rounded top and 120 years old now and doesnít close properly from the outside so Iíve never ever left the house from the front.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Been taking every other Friday and every 3rd or 4th week off, it's great. Watching good movies, getting tons of poo poo done around the house, picking up new and old hobbies.

Autumn is on full blast here and the trees are all sorts of shades now, it's magical and gorgeous.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

And video games? You betcha. Probably too many video games tbh

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Just checked and I'm on PTO for >50% of the rest of the year. Thanks, past me!

Seeing lots of cozy fires and mulled cider in my future.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Some of the best German food I've ever had (including in Germany) was in Vegas, way off strip in some stripmall near the airport.

Almost didn't have time to go to the place because we ran out of gas on the highway and it was 113 goddamn degrees outside.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

I have the heat automatically shut off at night and add a wool blanket or two to the covers, my dog Cassie curls up at the foot of the bed and keeps my feet warmer :3

Nothing quite like a brisk 60 degrees in the house to wake you up in the morning. Heat automatically kicks back on at sunrise, keep it around 67 throughout the day.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Think I'll start the babbel.com Norwegian lessons as another thing to keep busy. Really feeling the nordic vibes lately for some reason.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Only reason to go to vegas is that itís the closest major airport to Zion NP and the other parks around there.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Yeah the notable thing about Las Vegas having good food is that you wouldn't expect it to at all!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

There used to be a brewery/pub here that had the gimmick of making ales with olden bittering agents instead of hops, like ye olde dumbasses in britain used to do. It was... not good. Thereís a reason hops took over.

I made a kellerbier once, basically a barely hopped and given a long secondary fermentation to age it and barely carbonate it. Came out great, probably the best stuff I ever made. Doesnít travel well at all though so itís rare to find and if you do find it outside the place itís physically made itís probably poo poo.

Got a fancy new cleaner for my glass carboys, should be jumping on the mead bandwagon soon. Probably make a melomel so itíll be good Ďn ready for the warm summer months.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Barley hopped, but barely!

:dadjoke:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Need to bite the bullet and get a bigger still for making actual liquor. Been hoarding all my apples and pears for the season and got enough to make a decent amount of brandy I think.

A lot of the distilling books and stories Iíve read over the years say to never tell folks youíre doing it until youíve been doing it for a bit, because theyíll want to try some and chances are your first few attempts at making something are going to turn out nasty until you get the hang of it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah because dumdums just drink their foreshots and heads

When youíre a busy modern man on the go and you need your motor function and kidney failure fast!

The ďyour first batches will probably be awfulĒ advice I read was mostly about getting recipes wrong like trying to make your own gin and winging it with which herbs and ratios to use and loving it up, kinda like homebrewing and getting adjuncts wrong. Or making something like brandy and only bothering to distill once.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in new orleans a few years ago (pre-2010s) a friend of mine was dating one of the bartenders at this cocktail place and on sunday nights we'd go in and hang out and generally screw around because it was so slow

on those nights it wasn't particularly weird for dumbass hipsters to come in and try to sell their bathtub whiskey made from distilled bucket beer or whatever, it was dumb as poo poo

Gross. Probably means they hosed up their bucket-based starter kit, which means theyíd gently caress up anything.

Iíd buy it if they had a sufficiently thick swamp cajun accent and vouched for it with ďI gah-rohn-TEE it!Ē like that old tv chef guy. Otherwise no dice, their picture goes up on the ďATF todo listĒ board.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

After the initial Wuhan quarantine lifted the divorce rate skyrocketed. IIRC the fastest one was in minutes, like the first thing they did was hop in the car and go get divorced.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

With rollover from last year I got about 30 days of PTO this year, one of the best parts of the gig. All of November and December I'm either in vacation or semi-vacation mode.

If only I had somewhere to go.... :smithcloud:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

President Beep posted:

oooookay. here we go!

What kind of yeast you using? In my previous small (< 1 gallon) batches I used natural yeast from the peels and 1 turned out great and 1 turned out super mediocre.

Going to do a 5 gallon or so batch soon and not sure if I'm willing to roll the dice like that on it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Payin' $65/month for 1gb symmetric that winds up being 500mb/1gb in practice, not too shabby. Will be $60 once I get around to shipping back the router I keep forgetting about.

Then paying $80/month for fubo since they jacked their prices, the fuckers. Need my sweet sweet sports and Law & Order marathons.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Itís possible to put in too little yeast and have other bad bacteria take over and dominate the yeast before it can really take off.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

If itís bubbling and doesnít have obvious green or black mold colors youíre doing just fine.

One of my cider batches (thought that post of yours was cider) got a tiny bit of mold on the surface so I added more fresh apple peels and the rejuvenated yeast won out, other bacterias canít handle the higher alcohol level and die off.

And champaign yeast for mead (and even cider!) is super duper common, itíll be great donít worry.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

echinopsis posted:

happens all the time when trina grow mushies :qq:

Prooobably not the same kind of mushrooms youíre talking about but in a vid on the LiZiQui youtube channel she has an old log she drilled little holes into and put in spores and covered them up, little mushroom farm!

Really want to try it with shitake or chanterelles.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dogfish head was making an "ancient ale" called midas touch that used the historic, archaeologically determined ingredients, i remember there was some talk about eventually also using ancient yeast cultures but i haven't heard anything about it in awhile

midas touch was ok, kinda sweet for what it was. they've had a few others since then that weren't so good, the mesoamerican one was nasty and had chilies and annatto in it, yuck

The also once made a beer with some sort of flower thar only grows north of the arctic circle, wound up being like $30 for a pint IIRC

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

I'm gonna post up at bars and swap stories with everyone for hours on end

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

spankmeister posted:

Yeah all those stories about all the cool stuff we all did during the pandemic.

I've been doing a ton of cool stuff!

Next year when stuff is open you'll be able to go up to just about any dude here and ask "how did your first woodworking/homebrewing project go?" and get a long answer.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Thatís an incredibly californian backsplash. How many accents on the house would be described by a realtor as ďmission styleĒ?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Got a great deal on my place thanks to the previous owners going through a nasty divorce. According to the neighbors all they did was fight and neglect the property until it was time to sell. Whatever contractor they got to redo the front lawn didnít bother to use any sort of plastic layering so the whole place got overrun.

Neighbor came out to thank me once just for pulling weeds, got the feeling he wasnít used to even seeing that happen.

When I moved in the mailbox had a label with their married name angrily scratched out with ďNO!! ONLY <MAIDEN NAME>ď

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

Some of the rooms were hastily slathered in white paint, including the molding and every nook and cranny of it. Itís that ďIím doing this because Iím obligated to. gently caress youĒ style you see in apartments all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Feel It

All the cool stuff I was working on and motivated to do got yanked completely thanks to a missing feature we should've known about ahead of time. There's probably a way to do what we want but there's no way we would be able to do it. Lots of discussions with managers using the "not enough resources" euphemism even though it's a 10 person team, really beating around the bush that we as a team are too stupid and talentless to pull it off. Which we are :/

All the talented people left ages ago, it's just me and one other dude and we stuck around because we both moved out of SF but kept the comp so finding closer jobs with the same pay just wasn't gonna happen for a while.

On the plus side I get tons of sleep now and have picked up a lot of satisfying time-consuming hobbies instead of logging into work in the morning.