Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

by the by is there a yosmas this year? because i bought some of these:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sned the salmiakki cookies to me plx

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vittu perkele saatana!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Were they good?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You know I don't even know. It's weird to have the taste of candy with the texture of a filled biscuit in your mouth at the same time. And they don't really go well with coffee or tea. But it's not a bad taste and they're all gone (I didn't eat them all myself) so vOv

e: I don't think I'd buy them again, because ammonium chloride and tea don't go together that well, and I only eat biscuits with my 9 o'clock tea.

I should know better than to get my hopes up for something that is little more than a gimmick. Ammonium chloride does not, in fact, go with everything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HANG ABOUT

The Fazer webstore delivers to the entire EU.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh wow they even have (exactly one type of) bread.

They don't have the cookies. :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Who am I kidding all I'm getting is the tyrkisk peber superhot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah and then you drop the word that actually rhymes so its

oi mate a chav tried to use a C++ steven on rust code what a bellend

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i'm a fan of the french verlan slang, where you invert the word's syllables and then drop one

for instance weed = "herbe" which is two syllables, ehr beuh. so you invert it to beuh ehr and then drop the last and weed = beuh

i like how verlan is verlan for l'envers, which means the reverse

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

orrot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Finnish is incomprehensible enough as it is.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Better cheque yourself before you wreque yourself

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Buy a van and become a digital nomad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

do not do this

Yeah you're right

Buy a van that works and become a digital nomad.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Things will return to normal. Eventually.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The future is unlicensed speakeasies

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tinto de verano

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nowadays I mostly drink scotch. Neat, and usually single malt, although I do like a good blend. Sometimes I branch out into bourbon or rye, or rum.

Scotch is really good and it helps that it's low calorie (relatively speaking) because I've been trying to get rid of the extra weight I put on over the past few months.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I'm still into fancy hipster beers and poo poo

the closure of things like 24/7 macdo's makes me greatly upset as it is 1:30, I am pretty thoroughly blasted, and the only way to get a big ol thing of fries is the drive through

and holy poo poo I am not driving in this condition

I really like beer but I keep it to a minimum nowadays because a whisky is like 50 calories and a beer clears 200 easy sometimes 300 for the heavier stuff like porters and whatnot.

Your usage of the word macdo suggests to me you're from France? If so, godspeed and greetings from the covid infested hellscape of The Netherlands where we're not locking down everything is fine (send help)

E: wait it's not 1:30 here I'm an idiot never mind

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 31, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wonder where my "Pyramidi" book is. Maybe my sister stole it for my nephew, like she did with a lot of my other kids' books :(

Aw poo poo I have that exact same one!

Probably in a box in my mom's attic somewhere.

e: well maybe not exactly the same since mine is in a different language

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sap is a trojan horse designed to extract consulting fees

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Surely you mean Real America

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

red is for the tipping point where urgent action / stay at home orders are needed, and essentially none of those states are doing that. i wonder if biden would dare to set minimum fed standards for the states?

He could try but it will get struck down in the supreme court 6-3

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think my keyboard requires some horrible piece of vulnerable bloated electron crap to be installed to adjust the RGB so I leave it on carnival ride mode 24/7

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

I just want star trek doors for all my rooms complete with *woosh* noise when they open and some underpaid stagehand pulling the cord behind the scenes.

Hey that stage hand gets paid scale just like everyone else!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doin a dry week, wish me luck.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jabor posted:

Better now than last week, am I right?

Yes, although tbh I was pretty zen the whole week. I just resigned to the fact that the US is a failed state.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have dropped 30 kg (66lbs.) in the past two years or so. Slow and steady. Still have about 20 lbs left to go but I think I'll get there in January. Gaining a couple keys during lockdown times didn't help but I'm back on track.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Same but leave me a couple cases of single malt

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I used to enjoy grocery shopping a lot but I haven't since this whole mess started and now I get most of my groceries delivered.

Living in a country where the government had been dragging their feet for months wrt. mask wearing before finally committing hasn't helped mask adoption either.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Penisface posted:

aren't there like 2 different vaccines in the pipeline now? i get it that they will be distributed to rich people only at first, but it's got to trickle down eventually, right?

There are literally dozens in the pipeline and the ones that have reported results are the Pfizer and Moderna ones. But the Astra Zeneca one is in phase three as well as the Johnson&Johnson one and there are several others in phase 1/2. By late next year we'll be awash in vaccines tbh.

That's not even mentioning the several chinese vaccines and the Russian one. Which might not be tested quite as rigorously for safety but could be just as effective nevertheless.

I'm actually very optimistic about the vaccine situation. There are a couple of big questions still unanswered but so far the reports are very positive, and even if the frontrunners don't pan out one or more of the other dozens of candidates will pan out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we were considering forming another babby but i think the vaccine they eventually force my wife to take may put that on hold for a bit

Why?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also these vaccines are so untested that they don't even know how long they're effective for yet lol

if they're anything like the flu vaccine everyone will need to be taking them a few times a year to maintain immunity

They're not at all like flu vaccines because the coronavirus is not at all like the flu. The flu is able to exchange entire chunks of it's RNA with other strains in the same host, so it's basically ever changing. Coronaviruses don't do that. This is how the flu manages to evade the immune system, and why you need to get a new shot every year. They keep tabs on the flu strains and give you a cocktail of the ones they predict to be the dominant strains for that season.

Now coronaviruses work differently. The ones that have been endemic to humans before SARS-CoV-2 came along, and are still around, cause common cold symptoms. They seem to cause a immune response that wanes after 6mo to a year so you can get reinfected next season.

Thing is, when you're reinfected with these common cold coronaviruses the disease is less and less severe.

I don't know what's going to happen wrt to the vaccines. Do they provide protection against infection, or just against disease? Will they provide lasting protection or will you need to re-up after a year? Will vaccinated persons still spread the disease? If the protection has waned, will the immune system memory make it so that disease won't be as severe (basically turning it into just another common cold virus).

We can make a few educated guesses but there are plenty of questions still to be answered that will only be known in time. However, one thing that we cannot do is directly compare this vaccine to the flu vaccine because they are quite different. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

my understanding of the pfizer/moderna vax is that they're both rather remarkable from a medical science perspective

They are, mRNA vaccines are a miracle.

Also it's proven technology because it was used for the ebola vaccine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You're not injecting dead or inactivated virus, or antigen, or modified virus that has spike protein or other antigens grafted onto it. No instead you're injecting an mRNA blueprint of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein that will be translated inside your own cells by rhibosomes into th actual antigens, which will then be detected by your immune system and an immune response will be mounted, producing antibodies that bind to the virus and neutralize it.

It's quite remarkable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

like flu vaccines in that they're only effective for a few months, as opposed to like the tetanus vaccine that's good for about a decade

obviously they are different things

By a completely different mechanism. Also it's not known yet it might be that the vaccines elicit a far better immune response than catching the disease, with a much prolonged antibody titer. We just don't know yet.

Time will tell. I'll take the shot though because any kind of detrimental effect from the vaccine will be at a far lower probability than the 2% case fatality rate of covid and I also don't want to chance getting long term health effects from a bad covid infection tbh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My gut is saying the same thing tbh but we really don't know. Reinfections are expected to pop up, question is how prevalent it will be and if the disease will be more or less severe second time round.

Like was this an immunocompromised person who hasn't mounted an effective immune response the first time? Was the reinfection confirmed? What tests were used? Wat were the Ct values of the test? Could it be a false positive one or both of the times? Etc.

Need more data basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Much like my posting!

ⓘ 𝗢𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗽𝘂𝘁𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗱𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁.