Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

we have first past the post voting combined with winner take all. this naturally forces politics into a bifurcated system. there are examples out there where this isn't the case but you need significant cultural norms to overcome it. the fact we immediately split into a two-party system and stayed there for centuries pretty much means we're stuck with it unless we completely overhaul how votes are tallied and distribute power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

ah yes aus multiparty ranked choice which has produced (checks notes) a right govt and a center left party in minority and one seat for the greens

transformative

that may reflect more on the australian populace than the process

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

we're pretty much just going to slide into increasing worsening conditions into a children of men-esque failed liberal democracy that's held together by hot-melt glue equivalent of militarized police corpofascism and everyone is brow-beaten into submission trying to keep their heads down in a malaise daze

it would be better to have the rich cooked alive and eaten but well, not happening soon. status qup has a lot of wealth and power and ability to manufacture consent with spending only minimal effort to keep it going compared to changing it. check back in 4-8+ years

jeff bezos looks like he'd be really tough and stringy. zuck would be like chewing rubber.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Outside of research and some business office people the university is pretty much shut down at this point so now that we've gotten a lot of wfh issues ironed out it has been pretty quiet.

our student enrollment may drop by as much as 30%, which is something

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I think I’ve got this too, it’s an OHS thing. if you work from home that’s your place of work and we have a no fault work comp scheme so if you trip over your cat at home it’s claimable.

it would be funny if they made your cats wear orange safety vests and beep whenever they walk around

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

one thing I do miss about the office is the canteen for decent, cheap hot food at lunch every day, having the extra effort of cooking in my half-hour lunchtime is getting me eating a lot of sandwiches etc.

I got a box in the post today I'm looking forward to trying for a quick meal:

i want to know if these are good

this has been my stay at home junk food. it's pretty tasty

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Fatal Error posted:

maybe if you fed it it’d become your friend, you ever thought about that?

feed the bird

yeah enjoy your new bird friend waking you up at 4:30AM every day for breakfast, sucker

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it’s hosed up that i have gone from getting mad at kac for lying on behalf of the president to getting mad at her for so ruthlessly bodying his base in public

dr. fauci is getting death threats from chuds because he's not in total lockstep with president augustus gloop. that's how dumb things are now.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

qirex posted:

"delight" is up there with "engagement" in the "bs words that people who don't actually know anything about user experience but want to make it think like they do" power ranking

the "customer journey" is something that makes sense, but the terminology is so oily and marketing-speak that i can't help but hate it. what are the customers' emotions & motivations? obstacles and pain points? how do we best nurture their experience to build a positive kinship?

look man i just want to buy the biggest dildo you have in the fewest number of clicks, this isn't complicated

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

"surprise and delight is exactly what someone wants from a rote workflow theyre required to do dozens of times a day! dont you want to be surprised by a simple search!?" a pm shouts as they frantically add stories

goatse randomly pops up like yospos doge.jpg

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

power botton posted:

I bought a few echinopsis (and some other plants) today

I needed something new in my house or im gonna start to lose it

TIL that echinopsis is a real thing and not just a bastardization of the words echidna penis

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i still have some comic books from the mid 90s with foil and hologram covers. collectors items that they only made 5 million copies of, so now they're worth about $1.75. i think when superman died my mom bought the book and put it in a safe deposit box.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

instead of a cake we had nine of our friends and family bake a different pie each. the marriage may have failed but ppl still talk about how our wedding was one of the best they ever went to.

my parents have apple and cherry trees, and the neighbors have a raspberry bush. i think i'll make more pies this year.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

My parents got married in the forest and everyone had to literally camp out overnight to sleep off the drunkenness (the wedding party stayed in cabins)

a guy i worked with told a story about how he went to a wedding at someone's house where they had an enormous backyard, and part of the invitation was that guests should bring camping gear and stay the night after the reception. everyone was all "woohoo camping!", but when it got late literally everyone except my friend packed up and left. so he woke up the next morning by himself in a sleeping bag on the lawn. i don't think he even knew the bride and groom very well. they invited him in for breakfast with the family and then he went home

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

coronacooking:

i made some potate

recipe pls

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

lancemantis posted:

maybe they're in Taiwan

i believe you mean Chinese Taipei

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

if i've noticed anything, it's that my cats sleep about 16-20 hours a day and dgaf

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

DuckConference posted:

trump tweeted that all immigration would be temporarily suspended, which it kind of already is since the offices are closed but who knows

the "will I get my green card before bigtech starts doing layoffs" race is gonna be down to the wire

is ICE still operating?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

can someone “prentend”’I don’t get poo poo and explain it to me

I’ve seen the meme where it’s ok for bernie to have a little salami

Q: can cats eat salami?

A: cats can have a little salami, as a treat

that's all it really boils down to

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

for the record, i think the total list of valid causes is

- academic dishonesty like plagiarism or falsifying data
- breaking the law in an obvious way
- violation of ethical guidelines (sex with students) (maybe, if it was "consensual" you'll probably just get a mandatory sabbatical)
- just outright stop coming to class (though they would probably "put you on unpaid leave" forever)
- student enrollment decreased to the point where they can't meet your contract (all the more junior faculty would have to be fired first)
- department/college/university is disestablished (see above note, and they'd probably punt you to some other job if possible)

- you're posting

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

thanks that's interesting. in Australia our universities are massively dependent on foreign students so it's likely that 20-30% of them will go bankrupt, not the same as the US of course.

I saw this on Scott Galloway's twitter, it's full time MBA students though so I'm sure there is not a tiny enough violin to express our distress

https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1253061916039225346

his take is basically that no one is going to pay 160kUSD for two years of bad zoom classes.

tbh going for an MBA probably ranks at the top of who you know, not what you know, so online classes would be a big negative when you can't rub elbows with Keith Goldman or Roger Sachs

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Pick posted:

I literally know almost nothing about him. I'm not even good with computers although apparently I'm much better than most these days since I still do my own builds. One time as a 12-year-old or something I reposted a "MAC Vs. PC!!" jokes thing on a different webforum and was widely scorned for not knowing who Steve Jobs was. After that, I couldn't bear to think about Steve Jobs because I thought about how owned I was as a preteen.

ligma balls

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

the thing with the Falun Gong is you have to be able to put on your Soviet hat to be able to interpret them aka using a deeper level of political inspection than most Americans are familiar with

You have to be able to tease apart the fundamentalist new age religion aspect, the anticommunist aspect, the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because they are a fundamentalist new age religion, the reasons the CCP might not like them because they're an anticommunist group, and the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because of just the nature of the CCP and a marxist-leninist-maoist organization in general

:effort:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Stereotype posted:

In the last season of that show Amy Poehler's character has a huge falling out with Ron because he builds an apartment building where her friend's house used to be and she gets incredibly mad about it because she hates the idea that anything could possibly change for her personally, despite having fought valiantly for change for everyone else for the entire series. The politics on that show were bad

she also has a lady boner for joe biden

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you're already working from home so just don't do anything, who is going to know

i've been taking short naps at around 10am or 3pm and i really bounce back. i wish the office had a bunk room or a couch or something for that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

President Beep posted:

do people listen to you? no one listens to me. :smith:

https://local.theonion.com/grandfather-disrespected-in-own-home-1819570891

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

the only one i played was 9, and i was super into it. then i got ffx and was super excited :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4T9TSwxAo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

our offices opened back up, but we had a meeting and our boss had a lot of cuss words to say about how stupid that is, so i guess we're wfh for the long haul

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is quite satisfied with me wfh

he had some bad skin problems over the last couple weeks but a trip to the vet and some meds did the trick

needs a gd haircut tho

we got a dog recently that happened to be named tater too. she's pretty good.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

(as the kids say these days)

STOOOOP

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

is this term racist btw? i've only heard it as "bumfuck egypt" and, well, i usually substitute it with "bumfuck nowhere."

it is butt gently caress egypt, but it applies to anywhere that no one lives and there's nothing to do. i dont think its specifically racist towards the egyptian people and their flyover areas

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

graph posted:

i got my last cut on march 5th and schEdulEd thE nExt onE for junE 3

idk if im gonna go

if you hold shift while you press e does it do lower case, or is this just your curse

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

More like Fat, 32, shaver.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Im super cool with it but i do support across offices in three timezones and a bunch of already remote people

i do miss the good mexican places by the office. dont miss the 30 minute commute.

i'm pretty happy with being able to slough out of bed, turn on slack on the bad screen, and walla, i'm checked in at work at 7:45am

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

reminds me of the time that motorola had a lovely year and they said that they were _fairly_ cutting bonuses 60% across the board, so the ceo went from 2.5 mill to a paltry 1mill and i went from 2000 to 800 bucks

at the public school i work, the union negotiated for 3 years to get us a 2% raise. meanwhile, the university president hinted that they may be moving on and immediately got a 50% bump

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

c bored in lockdown s:

pickled strawberries, just made em. theyll be ready tomorrow

i am extremely interested in what this taste like

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

rotor posted:

i mean there's always more people and there's rarely more real estate so in the long term yeah it will rise but the reason that the Bay Area is so much higher than even other places in CA is because highly paid tech people are all here and need places to live (obviously), and if that pressure suddenly vents you're gonna see a large dip that lasts for a long time.

Which is good generally but sucks for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ySXOUCK4s

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i forget who i saw tweet this so apologies to whoever i'm stealing it from but, here's one big indictment of billionaires: where the hell are they during covid-19? national hero status up for grabs, and they all just gently caress off to their yachts? elon musk and a dozen boxes of cpap machines is really the best that the entire billionaire class has to offer? not one of them gives enough of a poo poo?

Geoff Bezos is providing thousands of workers with gainful employment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

making fun of how northerners talk is a long tradition

Canadians, Minnesotans, north Englishmen, scots, Scandinavians, etc

Sven came home from work early one day and Lena asks, "Sven, you're home from work early. What happened?"

Sven replies, "Vell, I got my ting caught in da pickle slicer."

"Oh no!", says Lena, "Let me see your ting".

So Sven shows her his ting and everyting is fine.

"Sven, your ting is just fine, what happened to da pickle slicer?"

Says Sven, "Oh dey fired her too."