Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
mayo is good virus repellent everyone knows that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
coronavirus WFH after you have turned in 2 weeks notice is indistinguishable from “watching tv”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lmao if you think i am anything other than wfbb (work from bubble bath)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

like im not actively looking to end it but i dearly wish it would all end

here’s some good news for a pick-me-up:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200314/more-than-80-of-texas-nursing-homes-cited-recently-for-infection-control-problems

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

yeah its pretty great. Every time i cough I'm thinkin "well, i had a good run."

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i think i'm gonna ride my bike down to the beach or something. be one of those young people the boomers are yelling at on the news for going out.

on the beach near Cape Canaveral today, never got within 50 feet of another person, still lots of people out if you walked a mile or two, just sitting far apart. here is our shade tent with a plague ship in the background.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

i juuust started my job when wfh started and i have no idea what im doing or should be doing and it is really upsetting

i wish i was the type of person that could just coast if they dont have any responsibilities but instead i am become anxiety factory

gonna talk to my boss about it this afternoon

yeah I just got word from my new job starting apr 6 that even onboarding is remote now. i am gonna get a laptop and some instructions in the mail. hold on to your butts because I’m gonna feel very strange trying to get in the middle of things with a team i have only interviewed with in person for 1 day.

how many IMs per day with stupid questions will each person tolerate before i make them crazy? who knows!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28o6fJda1c

1 more week of oldjob then i get to find out how to onboarding from home at the new place.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Broken Machine posted:

which is other people. also malfeasance is a weird word, because no one ever says feasance anymore, and malfeasance mostly just shows up in contexts like that. it's like a vestigial word

no YOU’RE a vestigial word.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Methanar posted:

Unilaterally without your written consent? Almost certainly not.

there is already a company in Austin tryung to dock trumpbucks from employee paychecks but I don’t think the poor employees have been brave enough to name and shame yet

https://www.kxan.com/news/austin-company-looking-to-dock-paychecks-for-those-receiving-stimulus-checks/

quote:

“The form says they are preemptively deducting funds from our paychecks. That number is based on what they’re anticipating the government relief fund to be,” a worker for the company told KXAN. The worker asked not to be identified in this investigation so as not to impact his company’s ability to continue doing business.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

which one of you is this

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face

just put him in the MRI machine and turn it on. problem solved.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

im on that absolute bare minimum care level right now where if someone IMs me in teams i'll take care of something, but that's about it

2nd to last day at old job, new job starts Monday. literally just scrubbing and erasing personal data from the computer before turning it in to IT.

Care level at record low.

New job should be fun, tho.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*sidles up to spacebar*

sassparilly

i’d watch a ds9 with a sam elliot cowboy in it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
woah doc i know last time we did a hernia check so we’re basically at 2nd base but don’t try your fake french accent on me to get to 3rd

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if only it were happing just-in-time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

it's loving nuts around here. we live within walking distance of my kid's school, but the parents that drive there do exactly what you describe. it's chaos. at a bunch of other schools in the area cars stack waaaay out into the street. :thumbsup:

my friends neighbor drives her kid down 1 block to sit in the car waiting for the bus, lets the kid out for the bus, then drives to work. i have seen her do this and it blew my mind.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
smdh if you aren’t eating food so spicy you spend the next day upside down* in the bath trying to funnel cold water up ur butt

* ”tubgirl position”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

syntaxrigger posted:

Drinking during covid

link

looks like Texas and Cali are in a race to the top. :getin:

can’t go outside to shoot my guns, what else is there???

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Methanar posted:

When it comes to the smell of gasoline, less is more. A little whiff can be nice.

a little gasoline whiff, as a treat

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i definitely do more work at home when i get in the groove and sit down to work, but some days it is hard to ignore laundry and other miscellaneous home things that would normally be out of my brain between 9-5 in the office. in conclusion, wfh is a land of contrasts.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
well may 1 seems to have been the perfect time to open up T*xas and today we’re opening salons too, and gyms next week.

this is gonna work out great.

pretty sure the office isn’t gonna open up in 2020

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am working from home and they’ve said it will likely be 💯% wfh through the end of July, but i saw they scheduled an all hands meeting next week about “safely returning to the office” which has me worried 😧

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
been a while since i saw a good tater pic

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is not making the photo thing easy rn so heres a really lovely phone pic from last week

good dog

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ShadowHawk posted:

manbun discussion itt

it’s just a bun, there is no need to gender the bun.

:colbert: i will die on this hill

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the best disney song is always and forever “under the sea” from the little mermaid, idiots.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fools, all of you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mess with the honk u get the bonk

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my fad fought in beating up your dad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have a lot if family in the shaker heights area of Cleveland and asking them who is watching their cornfields when they’re gone is my favorite thing to do when I see them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The_Franz posted:

even before the pandemic, downtown cleveland looked like a ghost town on any random weekday afternoon

yeah cleveland was block after block of boarded up storefronts and urban blight last time i was there.

i guess it is understandable that this would look like a thriving economic boomtown to someone from pittsburgh.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m looking at county-level economic data from the BEA, Cuyahoga County’s gross product is ~$86b a year which is significantly higher than the states I mentioned and $30b more than Columbus.

Cuyahoga County is a larger economic engine than Travis County.

not a fair comparison because other places can’t export energy gained by setting their rivers on fire.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Austin is economically worse off than Cleveland. Lol

per capita income in austin is higher than cleveland, and both are ~20% higher than pittsburgh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income

if you would rather live somewhere where the jobs pay less then that’s your choice, i guess 🤷🏼‍♂️

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the cleveland museum of art does have that amazing painting of a 19th century dude in the extremely future-punk train spectacles. that is probably the coolest thing i have seen on my trips to Cleveland.

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1991.134.2

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
denver airport is good:

weird murals
spooky horse
feels like being in the belly of a whale

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
there is actually a lot of beachfront or extremely beach adjacent property in central-ish florida if you like the water and you literally don’t care what kind of terrible people you live near.

also you could pick a Caribbean island like aruba and buy a place that could pay for itself by renting it out half the time. once the plague ends, that is.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
idea: a star trek spinoff called “that’s our nagus!!” that exclusively follows the exploits of grand nagus zek played by wallace shaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnSXczOmO8g

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have been getting a popeyes chicken sandwich and some biscuits delivered like once a week during the pandemic its getting out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
reminds me of a good story of youthful stupidity

my friends and i bought a $250 honda accord to have a beater car we could drive around in the woods because thats the kind of thing you do in high school when you don’t have beer

since it wasnt legally titled and no one really wanted to hold on to it, we parked it in a friends driveway while their family was out of town around the hokidays.

the neighbors thought it was suspicious and tried to contact the family that lived at the house. the owner of the house knew nothing about the car.

long story short on NYE 1999 I was gonna watch the ball drop at a friends place and saw “MILLENNIUM BOMB THREAT IN WEST AUSTIN” as the headline story on the 10 oclock local news and it turned out they’d evacuated the whole neighborhood after deciding it was some sort of car bomb. we went out to clear it up and had to walk past a big crowd of confused people who had been forced out of their homes for the last few hours.

the cops had my friend walk up past the barricades and the bomb defusing robot and open the trunk to prove it was our car. there were a few helicopters out circling around too. it was pretty fun!

we never actually made a threat and we were white nerds so nothing really came of it.