Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

Was oncall today, am oncall this weekend.

Been working more productively these past two weeks than ever. I think I "know how to work from home."

But I'm also working longer than intended, in part cause my roommate is working 12 hour days helping the poor (free legal aid, mostly medical/benefits related)

your roommate sounds cool. you’d be that cool if you broke all of googles ad servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

The danger is becoming another Italy where people that could otherwise survive start dying because the system buckled under the weight.

that’s not just a danger, that is absolutely going to happen. the question is how many people get trapped outside of hospitals with no hope of care, which we can hopefully keep to a minimum.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

it's probably 1/10th of that though

actually that's still a lot

I hope you are right, because I'm freaking out.

At least Hawaii went into complete lockdown mode so maybe there are hospital beds and ventilators for if I start drowning in my own blood. We currently only have 56 confirmed cases, but there is a 5 day delay between testing and results and they just started doing mass testing today and the complete shutdown doesn't start until tomorrow.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Methanar posted:

Friendly reminder that for any covid19 business continuity meetings you get pulled into, when somebody starts talking about single points of failure and bus factors, that has the dual purpose of identifying redundancy and who can be laid off with minimal business impact.

Just remember all corporations are soulless monsters and the only courtesy they will ever extend is asking how long of a rope you'd like when they hang you. Please represent knowledge sharing and business tolerance of missing personnel accordingly.

When I started demanding work from home 10 days ago I made sure to emphasize that everyone at our company is essential and anyone getting sick or hospitalized for any length of time would be disastrous, and it is insane to risk having *several* people get sick simultaneously.

The CEO of course told me that 3 people would get WFH and the other 7 of us had to keep coming in, but then I got a CDC mandated quarantine on me and now the whole city is forced to close and we are not essential, so we are all from home.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
definitely do not watch or listen to anything Trump says. It ruined my entire day yesterday.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lancemantis posted:

it’s because a podcaster said it, and cspam suffers from the inability to read jokes like all fans do

also it would be super funny if he was dead. like, they've just been "weekend at bernie's"ing him for the past month and he won a bunch of elections while being dead and they just keep going with it until we have a dead president

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

over the last several years i've become accustomed to the amount of personal interaction i get from being a professor and teaching several big studio classes every week. i already find the summer and winter breaks socially challenging, because i go from talking to about 100 different people a week to like 5, and the school is deserted and everyone i know with a normal job is still working 9-5 and all my coworkers are AWOL. i'm still working on papers and stuff but the social isolation is really hard.

normally i get through it with hobbies:

- riding motorcycle
- flying airplane
- making new things in the shops
- taking random classes and going to meetups

and, uh, WELP

i have been doing a lot of cooking and playing the piano but the classes have been cancelled since the 9th and i'm beginning to go crazy

I've been videochatting everyone I know, including people I haven't talked to in years.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hey echinopsis remember when i met you? that was cool

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i do sort of wish i had met more of you but oh well

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

country now locked down. just said goodbye to gf and doubtful i’ll see much if any of my kids this next 4 weeks

good luck buddy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

you only get $1200 if you make less than $75,000 as a single person so most of yospos is excluded.

Well I don't qualify but my roomate and my fiance both do.

Good thing we aren't married yet I guess lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
As far as I can tell it is basically the dumbest most convoluted thing that will help basically no one and make everything much worse for everyone, except if you are obscenely rich and own some giant bankrupt megacorp, which is exactly what I expected from the democrats.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've been complaining for like a decade that there are millions and millions of people doing stupid bullshit work that literally only makes other people's lives worse and harder for absolutely no gain at all. They are doing these jobs because for some stupid bullshit reason we've decided that everyone needs to have a job that works them to death. Health insurance companies are a great example: completely useless things that solve a "free rider" problem that straight up does not exist.

I hope this puts a stop to that, but that's why these checks are so awful and lovely, a lot of people want that dumb poo poo to continue.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lancemantis posted:

People like to joke about panic buying tp but the only coping mechanism Americans have ever been taught is consumption

It would be nice if everyone spent this time working on themselves and developing hobbies and coping skills and learning to use resources efficiently but lol that is never going to happen.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I have been trying to get my fiance and my roomate to use rags instead of paper towels for years and now that we are out they are forced to and they both agree that it is way easier and better so yay i guess

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SO DEMANDING posted:

always been a fan of this buckminster fuller quote

it ain't perfect ("go back to school" is awful narrow, expand that to "pursue hobbies, passions, art", something like that) but the overall sentiment is right

I'm fully radicalized at this point and I hope a lot of other people become that way too.

And I still have my loving job lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

I wanna know where or who I can talk to about how I really feel. captain foo gets sad and probes ya if you talk about it here and gf would get sad too and obv don’t wanna put a load on my kids. I made an anonymous twitter account to do so but it feels a bit pointless coz i’m just sharing it to no one. this kit-kat i’m eating isn’t making me happy

feel about what?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

purposeless of life. this whole thing makes me feel like my life is pretty pointless. (un)fortunately I have people who rely on me for various things and who think I play an important part in people’s lives, but none of those things give me a sensation of purpose even if technically it gives me actual legitimate purpose 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’ve meditated and been on enough psychedelics to have no fear of death. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

😂😂😂😂😂

The purpose of life is just to experience stuff I think. You also gotta survive, since the longer you stay alive the more you get to experience. I don't think there really is a point besides to be happy.

It's one of the things I hate about capitalism: the point isn't to make everyone happier, it is to make money.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
My parachute firefighter/emt buddy in Tennessee just got called up by FEMA to head up to NYC to lead a 25 ambulance team they are cobbling together. He gets a rental car and is driving up there today. Also a 29 year old friend of a friend in NYC just died yesterday from the rona :(

And I'm just sitting here catching butterflies so I can sell them to pay off my house instead of working

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it wasn’t me but I get it. I wish I could do something to help, but I’m not sure how electron beam diagnostics can help. like long term it will be useful but just not in an immediate way.

so maybe shoving some magnets up your nose will help, I mean apparently not but the idea had promise.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I feel like I have a cold, or a sinus infection type thing, even though I haven’t left the house in like two weeks.

or maybe it is corona?? also maybe alcohol withdrawals?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

haveblue posted:

The four big tells of corona:

-fever
-coughing, especially extended or dry coughing
-shortness of breath
-chest pain

if you don't have most of these, you almost certainly do not have corona. sneezing, headaches, stuffy nose, a normal level of sporadic coughing, etc are not corona symptoms

either way, drink more alcohol

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is a sinus thing mixed with alcohol withdrawal because last night was the first night I didn't heavily binge drink in at least a month

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Midjack posted:

allergies are another popular option this time of year; even if you don't have severe reactions the sheer amount of plant jizz floating around in the air can be enough to give you sniffles.

Hawaii doesn't have "allergy season," it is always humid and warm and the flowers are constantly blooming. If anything it is mold/dust because we've gotten really bad at cleaning. It certainly *feels* like allergies, like I'm sneezing a lot, but I don't know what changed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Midjack posted:

if you're spending more time in your house then you're getting more exposure to whatever's in it so yeah, mold or dust are also likely suspects.

I also just got around to cutting down my "front yard" on Saturday, which is basically just 7 foot high parasol trees and dead banana trees and a bunch of other jungle junk that was slowly eating my house, so it is probably the revenge of those plants.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I should have grabbed my screens :(

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Popeye's delivers now. I just ordered some.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah it actually is RNA but more ppl will ID more with the concept of DNA

lol humanity got rootkitted by a 14kb binary

While the RNA is only 14k long each 'bit' actually has 4 values and then the folding of the protein adds an additional non-trivial number of permutations so "14kb" is a pretty big simplification

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the tuition refund makes sense to a lot of people because they didnt pay tens of thousands of dollars and go into massive debt to do zoom classes. plus a bunch of classes basically cant meet, like any studio arts or science labs. plus a lot of people can’t really focus or learn at home, which is why they went to college.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm very hopeful that Hawaii is the first state to declare the virus eradicated on our islands, since it would mean we could actually restart industry and turn our island into a more industrial one. Of course our dumbass governor will open our doors to tourists asap with no precautions and we will immediately have the worst infection rate in the world.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rotor posted:

"as soon as the quarantine is over, you're evicted!!"

it's gonna just be a bunch of broke people switching apartments, i dont get it

They are mad that they aren't going to get their unearned income and they've spent decades using the cudgel of eviction, so that's literally all they know how to do.

The real fun is that commercial real-estate is going to completely collapse because of it. Businesses aren't just going to move to another apartment, they are going to just stop being businesses. Landlords are literally going to shoot themselves in the head to try and make sure every last cent of rent is paid.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

seems unlikely, if 5-10% of people are positive now (iceland mass testing data) it seems likely to peak pretty soon.

Yeah the benefit of us handling it terribly and allowing it to spread out of control and cause an order of magnitude more deaths than it otherwise would have is that it ends sooner too.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

then everybody gets off of lockdown and has bareback sex and makes out in the square like when the troops came home after the war ended, and it comes right the gently caress back

Well ideally once everyone has rolled the dice then it just peters out. The dice roll isn't a great bet though, it's essentially rolling 3 dice and you die if you get either all 1s or all 2s, except it might actually be worse than that because there are no more ventilators.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

I think the ventilator-required percentage for 80+ year olds is over 50%

three rounds of the rona in The Villages will leave maybe a thousand left standing

The terrifying statistic I heard was that it was still like 10% for people in their 40s. Like, the death rate ramps up to Contagion numbers without ventilators super fast.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
One thing that will prevent a lot of misguided suicide martyrs who get this is that by the time you know you have it bad you already get winded from putting on your shoes and you can't stand for more than ten minutes without feeling like you're going to pass out. It doesn't really leave you in a position where you can physically do anything to anyone. If you get over it then you won your dice roll so now you aren't going to do any suicidal stuff and get on with your life.

There. I've now officially thought about it longer than anyone in the Federal Government.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
What if there was a massive blackout somewhere with a hospital full of people on ventilators? I assume whatever generator every hospital in the country bought was the bare minimum for normal operations with no redundancy or even periodic testing. I am imagining a thunderstorm knocking out power to like 50k people on ventilators who all die within minutes when the generators fail to deal with the increased load.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*picks up phone*

*LOUD BOAT HORN NOISE* Congratulations! *voice continually deepens in pitch and slows in rate* You have won a free five day fun packed vacation on the plague ship. You will infect all your loved ones and then die *phone hangs up*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

i think its just from fewer international arrivals into nz so the ambient noise of incoming infected is dropping. i remember one of the daily updates circa monday or so said there were like 300 people total coming for that day. if you go on flightradar lately theres like the one daily airnz flight from LA and all the domestic flights are freight

the thing to worry about is how many community infections there are - picture an exponential curve that lags by 2 weeks. we're basically looking at stats for people who got infected a week before the lockdown started now

meanwhile the known community infections are low but there's a bunch of uninvestigated cases in the backlog that ill guess are gonna be community since otherwise they'd just be "they just flew in last week case closed"

i think the most likely scenario assuming things go well with the lockdown is that there are occasional local flareups and lockdowns keep occurring but on a per-region basis. meanwhile domestic flights will hopefully be restricted and international travel will continue to be hosed indefinitely since its so risky

Yeah Hawaii seems like it is in a very similar boat as NZ. Honolulu dropped from 30,000 visitors arriving per day to only ~130. The visitors who are arriving seem to be irresponsible idiots who saw the cheap prices and are trying to take advantage of it. The state reported a family of four who arrived without a hotel reservation for example.

The Mayor of Honolulu just officially petitioned Trump to ban all visitor travel to Hawaii, which requires a Federal action.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Some day I really do expect these forums to disappear and that will be a sad day

It hasn't happened in the 17 years I've been posting here, but I still imagine it will happen some day

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
work status: I’m now officially in charge of a million dollar project, which is fun. I also pressed them on a raise because that’s a lot of new responsibility and they said they were already working on giving me one so hopefully it is what I asked for a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Penisface posted:

wtf is a background tv noise

can't understand why i would want to put on something that i do not plan to actively focus on and enjoy

i guess it's just me who gets distracted by anything that has too much human speech in it, long dj mixes are the thing for me

I like having something that you should be paying attention to on in the background to ignore because I gotta ignore something. Podcasts are good for this.