Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

we got an email (marked high priority!) saying that "management is monitoring the situation" and everyone needs to bring their company laptop home in case we need to close an office, but also everyone better still come in until further notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the gubmit already trying to get location data from FAANG, which of course will be permanent. instead of doing unpleasant threats or above board paperwork that can be FOIA'd or back door agreements we're going to have bipartisan 100% legal above board surveillance 24/7

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

cause all the restaurants are going out of business baldors opened up residential delivery. very good. would recommend

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I think it would be very funny if bits of the US starts succeeding as we force a one state solution in Israel/palestine.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the trump SALT tax changes personally hurt me real bad so honestly I don't see anything more important than undoing those to get the economy rolling again.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We are having a virtual all hands meeting today.

:suicide:

last one we had it was announced 10% of the company wasn't with us anymore

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

car culture and the fact that everyone owns a car is objectively bad and theres 0 justification for it. road diets and light rail for everyone please.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

yes but as rotor keeps harping on people get kidnapped constantly in that 1 block so what should a parent do

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

everyone has been putting up a brave front for a while but the cracks are showing here and there. the recent layoffs put some urgency into people but I give it another week or so before a lot of people stop hiding a lack of productivity.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

i think zuck is probably on a bunch of psych meds and stuff, his meat wouldn't be safe to eat. it's tough to find a good organic human these days

dont even get me started on free range

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

yes but only Russian propaganda.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Crusader posted:

writing a user story even though that's not my role and feels weird

one of the guys we just fired went all in on the personas and user stories things.

"As an active directory admin, I click this button and I'm delighted to see the complete membership of the specified group"

I kept telling him he's embarrassing me in front of all my friends and cut it out but he kept doing it. the first PM ive ever worked with who really took that poo poo to heart.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

considering a lot of our business comes from satisfying audit requirements its always very funny to apply those words to "show a list of enterprise admins" or "display this registry setting". the most boring poo poo ever. no one is delighted looking at a list of group policy objects.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I bought a few echinopsis (and some other plants) today

I needed something new in my house or im gonna start to lose it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

DuckConference posted:

like as in "some dumbass in a wuhan lab had an oops while studying a cool new virus in pangolins" or as in "BIOLOGICAL ATTACK ON THE AMERICA" because the first one doesn't seem crazy when poo poo like this happens: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ebola-henipah-china-1.5232674

theres so many restrictions and red tape about importing viruses (like there should be) every researcher in smaller labs has smuggled samples and many in larger labs too.

plus we dont need Chinese help doing biological attacks against our own citizens. we used our anthrax very effectively.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I had an untouched KAWS toy I sold for a bunch after like a decade, which sort of makes up for the tons of worthless comics I guess.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

whats that second attorneys name. im feeling naughty and may need representation

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

it doesn't matter the rates because we cant test for poo poo and dumbshit states/large companies will open up business too quickly with the new federal guidelines and we will spike again.

it seems like to me theres a non zero chance in the summer/fall we'll be dealing with a second wave of corona and 50 or 60% U6 unemployment.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its not a bad test. Stanford should just maintain the latest upstream fixes better.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the worst case scenario is the market getting propped up with trillions of dollars of bailouts and we dont learn anything from this. itll be like school shootings. it used to be a big deal now its a 2 hour blip of hot takes on twitter before we all move on. wildly raising the acceptable amount of deaths we deal with every year due to piss poor infrastructure and health care. the new normal.

also intel is better than AMD. prove me wrong. trying to keep this computer related.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

President Beep posted:

well i heard that your right all the time!

broken clock

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im quarantining with a hostess who was doing just fine with tip pooling. She got fired to collect the unemployment benefits but if she and her roommates cant cover rent in another couple months (as its looking likely) they will all be evicted ASAP.

deliveries help stem the bleeding to mostly rent but its very insecure and doesn't matter if the restaurant llc survives on deliveries but you're completely destitute in 3 months.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

imagine going from staying inside with your parents for like 9 months to the first week back in the dorms. so many people gonna end up in the hospital.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

my cousin teaches directing and acting classes and its kind of hard to give feedback about emoting more or whatever the gently caress to a zoom window. focusing a lot more on monologues these days.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

abigserve posted:

The record for me was the guy who was told to move into a new office space and proceeded to go awol for two months, then took all of his sick leave, then all of his annual leave, then finally his long service leave, resulting in two years away from the office. At which point he came back to tender his resignation.

he was told to move one building over lol

uh this guy owns

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

if colleges start failing or having trouble this is a good opportunity for some disruption with charter colleges imho

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

everyone needs a kamado grill and just crank that poo poo up

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

our new r&d head is making modernizing our builds and testing a big priority so I guess this will actually make it harder for me to get a working build to test things?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

can Allison mack and ghislaine WFH or is there a lot of travel and client meetings in that sort of role?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

youre all missing the best option: legally blonde

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how many cases are we going to start seeing next week after Memorial Day

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

maybe half of people I see are wearing masks? and of those a very popular way of wearing it is around your chin or just around your mouth.

like your mom makes you wear a helmet if youre going bike riding but you dont actually strap it on

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

President Beep posted:

no, really, he poured lava all over my log cabin the other day.

he doesn't understand that some people only have 1 house and therefore really want to keep it around.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

idk whenever I've read interviews I tend to like his thoughts generally. compared to say zuckerberg, he appears to have views on the direction of twitter that are orders of magnitude healthier than that of facebook. I can't remember anything specific, just that feeling after interview.

no matter how you run a social media you'll have haters. I think the general "mission statement" of twitter is far better than almost any other one

what are these acts of direct support of nazis on twitter? the closest I know of it is a sub par effort to cull facist posts

they dont ban nazis for inciting violence and hatred but will often ban the people responding to them saying "lol ur dumb I hope you get strapped to a missile and rocketed to the moon" as if its a credible threat. you can argue thats a moderation problem and not directly his issue, but...

you can see from their API they flag nazi accounts and tweets cause its illegal in German law to support the nazis, but don't enforce that in the US or anywhere else.

you can report people actually flagged as nazis in their platform for inciting violence and hatred and they will be like oops sorry we didnt find anything that violated the rules.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

forum nerds: not trustworthy
billionaire with a 10 million/year PR budget: seems like a nice guy

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

but you have to call or have your assistant send an email to your financial planner to then execute the trades. that'll take all day. who has time for that poo poo.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

do people not think that some firm wouldn't pay a premium over market to own 5% of amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

yeah I dunno enough of how this stuff works to really argue that. I was imagining some sort of Bezos 5% holding llc and some carried interest shenanigans which wouldn't involve trades for 50 million shares on the market which probably would start affecting things with spikes in volume or whatever. but I dunno.