Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

u got any cool recommendations for things i should print

well i'm starting to go stir-crazy and i spent last night making a set of classic mac os icon fridge magnets:

they press-fit (depending on your printer's tolerances ofc) a 10mm x 2mm rare-earth magnet, or 3mm if you want extra power, except for clarus the dogcow which fits an 8mm one because there wasn't enough room for the larger magnet. if your slicer supports layer pauses, you can use that to make the black pixels by pausing at 3mm and switching filament, or if not then just print in white and color the top with a sharpie. you may want to turn on elephant foot compensation.

here is the stl if you wanna do it. thingiverse is taking a big dump these days so they're on the first website i found when i googled "free file host."

https://gofile.io/?c=Yrlxaq

if you don't want to buy two sizes of magnets you can cut clarus out of the pack and scale her up by 1.248x but that's a pretty scrubly move because then the pixel weights won't all be the same.

credit for the original art of course goes to the excellent susan kare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

and you've given me ideas, maybe i'll do some other icons

unfortunately the school is closed so i can't go and borrow the neon green to make a YOSPOS

and like, you can use any two colors of filament. doesn't have to be black on white

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i also made this useful image as a side effect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

man, i struggle to believe that the added health benefits over just not meeting up with people will outweigh that of people getting a bit of fresh air and exercise. but fingers crossed it turns out for the best.

There's no question that it's healthier to be out and active while staying away from people than to just hole up entirely. For these total lockdown orders you can thank the morons who were told to stay away from crowds but immediately went to party on the beach or started packing the grocery stores.

Big "teacher keeping the whole class in from recess because of three kids who won't quiet down" energy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

c-wfh-s: actually have work to do from home this week, but hoo-boy am i not feeling particularly motivated at the moment.

MA governor announced all non-essential business must close by noon tomorrow, lasting until 4/7. the list of what is considered essential though is quite broad. and despite the fact that this has no effect on grocery stores, I fully expect them to be an absolute clusterfuck the next couple days because people are dumb

if it's anything like california it will take about a week to stabilize

i went to the grocery store 10 days ago and there was a line of cars out into the street waiting to park and everyone was running out with toilet paper and bottled water

i went again 6 days ago and they were sold out of potatoes, onions, all dairy, toilet paper, water, canned foods, etc

i went again yesterday and it was pretty much back to normal so i guess all the hoarders are stocked up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zlodo posted:

I have coffee but my home coffee machine (a lovely nespresso pod thing) that I didnt use in a while turns out to be broken

I can't even attempt to repair it myself bc in a giant gently caress you move they went out of their way to use screws with ovoid shaped heads that I can't possibly force open even with pliers

just 3d print yourself the correct driver. they can't be torqued down all that tightly. use like a carbon-reinforced nylon or polyester if you're worried about it breaking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hed posted:

This is awesome, but I can't get that file thing to work. Can you try posting it on something like https://send.firefox.com/ ?

https://send.firefox.com/download/55656f21119f686a/#33labujsXMiRARnA0bMx-w

better get on it because it says it expires after 1 download and i can't change it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i went out to move my car for the street cleaners this morning and was informed by my neighbor (from fifty feet away) that they aren't doing street cleaning or residential overtime parking tickets any more. i can park in front of my house forever! fuckin A

i would absolutely have expected that giving parking tickets would be considered a 100% essential service and they'd be out in force but i guess we can have some nice things

e: and motorcycle parking at the meters is now 10 cents an hour. gently caress yeah

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 23, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fatal Error posted:

a car with a loudspeaker just drove by and blasted the neighbourhood with an announcement asking everyone to stay inside “not just today and tomorrow, but for the whole duration of the epidemic”. creeped me out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMAW1wzQ8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

la la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaa blah blah blah blah la la la la la aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

over the last several years i've become accustomed to the amount of personal interaction i get from being a professor and teaching several big studio classes every week. i already find the summer and winter breaks socially challenging, because i go from talking to about 100 different people a week to like 5, and the school is deserted and everyone i know with a normal job is still working 9-5 and all my coworkers are AWOL. i'm still working on papers and stuff but the social isolation is really hard.

normally i get through it with hobbies:

- riding motorcycle
- flying airplane
- making new things in the shops
- taking random classes and going to meetups

and, uh, WELP

i have been doing a lot of cooking and playing the piano but the classes have been cancelled since the 9th and i'm beginning to go crazy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bump_fn posted:

god bless u for figureing out how to survive the horror of only working 8 months a year you hero

you can read better than that. cmon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you only get $1200 if you make less than $75,000 as a single person so most of yospos is excluded.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Well I don't qualify but my roomate and my fiance both do.

Good thing we aren't married yet I guess lol

if you were married it goes up to like $150k.

so let's see, we've got massive corporate bailouts going to the very rich,
a bit of free money for the "middle class" making up to a deece six point five figgies,
and a loan for the extremely poor people who can't use a tax credit

sounds like :patriot: to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

went out for a walk today around my neighborhood earlier than i usually do (i usually creep through the night).

everyone seems so happy right now. its a nice day out, around high 50s and low 60s. tons of people are out on their porches, smiling and waving at people as they pass. families were out on their lawns, some people just reading books.

if it weren’t for all the sickness and disaster you hear about on the news, this would be a postcard somewhere. getting similar vibes to the way people were during the big east coast blackout we had around 20 years ago

almost as if the american way of life is deeply, fundamentally unhealthy.

imagine what the world would be like if

- people only worked 20 hours a week
- the majority of people could work from home
- car traffic was cut down to like a tenth of normal
- people filled their lives with family and exercise instead of mindless consumption

and then imagine everyone also had free universal healthcare so that massive worry was just gone.

it's a goddamned utopia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://idlewords.com/2007/04/the_alameda_weehawken_burrito_tunnel.htm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

The party was titled "Lehar (Multinotes, Diynamic, Afterlife),"

Lock them up just for this imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everything they show in that video is "reasonable exercise with [presumably] people you already live with," i.e. the one sort of outdoor activity the experts are saying is a-ok

i get it, though. the cops are probably going stir-crazy looking for people to arrest. everyone's routine is disrupted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here are some more cheerful work from home memes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

burglars mad because all the stuff they could steal is already theirs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my grocery store is pretty much back to full stock except for a few random things

and all the toilet paper

people are still loving buying all the toilet paper, aisle completely empty within minutes of restocking, and they're still having to keep a security guard in the aisle to enforce one package per customer

did you know that the whole thing originally started because a japanese guy made a fearmongering facebook post saying "all japanese toilet paper comes from china, better buy yours now so you get one made before coronavirus" and that started a run on it in japan, which then spread to australia and then the rest of the world, and the japanese guy has been arrested for causing a panic but now it's just self-sustaining?

objectively it's kind of a fascinating little social event

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

buying 144 rolls of toilet paper every time the store has any in stock, the activity under discussion, is not emergency prepping. as a matter of fact you don't even need toilet paper to live. strange but true.

everyone should have a well stocked first aid kit, flashlights with spare batteries, methods of starting fires, and about a month (being frugal) of dried/canned/frozen food. your house probably has at least 2 weeks just by default if you do a normal amount of cooking and are not an incompetent facebook employee. you don't need to stockpile water because if the emergency seems imminent you just fill up your bathtub and that'll keep you going until a better system is set up. if you are really worried, maybe get a couple of 5-gallon jericans and put them in your shed.

going beyond that is getting into doomsday idiocy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

if something truly ugly happens, zombie apocalypse prepper assholes are gonna be most peoples #1 problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

an average bathtub filled to the brim is about 200 litres, so that's enough for a family of four to survive 2 weeks.

if you want to live at the next level up in that chart, including sponge baths and doing dishes and stuff, you aren't storing that in gallon jugs. you'd be using 5 of those jugs per person per day. not reasonable.

point stands

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i think people get a skewed view of firearms from "modern" shooters like battlefield where the guns are all nerfed and given random stat differences to provide gameplay variety like recoil and bullet drop.

The first time I shot a shotgun, as a teenager hanging out with my grandpa, I assumed it would scatter like a video game shotgun

It did not and it put a four inch hole into the sheet of chipboard right where I was aiming. very surprising

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

because i am not a gun nut, arma was my first introduction to how real combat rifles work and it was kind of eye-opening

they're a lot more like a laser gun than you think. point and click

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite thing about arma (NOT!) back in the day playing with the goons was this stupid "extra realism" mod called ACE that added stuff like having to do a medicine minigame with epinephrine and morphine instead of just pressing heal, having to manually janitor the brightness of your night vision goggles, etc. it was stupid as poo poo and made the game less fun but all the worst spergs loved it and insisted on using it for every mission.

anyway one of things it did was made the carrying and stamina "more realistic." what this meant was that if you put more than 50 pounds of stuff into your bag and attempted to run, your guy would collapse and pass out after like 100 yards

i like to think that the developers based it on themselves

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Penisface posted:

hwo the gently caress reconfigures their radios during a deployment, that poo poo is done ahead of time when packing and prepping

milspergs are really stupid about "simulating" their particular thing in the way that they think is "realistic," usually going with the most facile understanding of the situation, even when actual experts tell them otherwise.

example: in flight sim games you can superimpose a little colored dot or circle over the enemy planes to make them easier to spot at a distance. all the REALISM servers have these labels turned off, because obviously you don't have labels in real life, and have to spot the plane with your naked eye! but turns out your eye has a shitload more resolution than 1920x1080, so it's like ten times easier to notice another aircraft in real life than in the simulation -- think about the last time you were flying on an airliner and noticed another one out the window. so having a little dot label on the bad guy is truer to the human experience and allows you to spot planes at a range comparable to real life. but the spergs won't have any of it because the surface interpretation is just NO LABEL IN REAL LIFE.

another example: a number of ww2 fighters had a gravity-fed carburetor. this meant that if you pulled a negative-G maneuver (like nosing forwards into a steep dive) the engine would be starved of fuel and would chug after a second or two. the spitfire was especially famous for this behavior so it's been modeled in every game with a spitfire in it.

well, when the new il-2 came out, the spergs hit the roof! the spitfire's negative-g behavior is totally wrong, it comes in way too early and too violently, i can barely fly any more and i've got more hours in spitfires than any ww2 pilot, EVERYONE knows about this phenomenon so how could they get it so wrong!!!??!? qq

then it turned out that the developers had actually hired a real spitfire and pilot and had measured the exact behavior and modeled it more accurately than any other simulation ever.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uh, i mean, how bout that coronavirus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't deer all have some sort of horrible prion disease now

echinopsis posted:

is an ar15 overkill? i’ve never seen one irl

it's an M-16 with the automatic fire modes removed. it's a battle rifle that fires 5.56mm NATO ammo like every other battle rifle

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would like to own a lever-action rifle, because i just think that's a cool mechanism and my grandpa had one for deer. but i don't particularly want to kill anything and i can live without target shooting so it would just be a hazard with no upside.

still a really cool action though. click clunk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Whats the best pistol caliber carbine?

winchester 1894 carbine in .45 colt so you can use the same bullet in your rifle and your six-gun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which one of you is this

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the students in my "class" today was circulating a petition to have tuition and fees refunded. i kinda get it and kinda don't. on one hand i'm still teaching four days a week on zoom and doing my best to make sure the students hit their learning outcomes. the course structure has changed but the content hasn't, at least not massively. on the other hand, i know for a fact that some professors have essentially just given up and checked out, so if i had a couple of those classes hell yeah i'd be asking for my money back. idk. it's all a huge mess.

also they've announced a hiring freeze on the new professors we literally just sent our offer letters to as well. mega loving lomarf and what a kick in the nuts. we can supposedly still get the positions back by petitioning the university president but i'm really not thrilled

and according to the california government, we're still nearly a month away from the peak of this thing :jeb:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but seriously why is everyone buying water

like toilet paper is actually kind of in short supply at the consumer facing end because morons keep hoarding it all, so i guess i get why people are jumping on it when they see it. my local grocery is still completely sold out

but water comes out of the loving tap

do these people like...do they just not use tap water at all? do they cook with bottled water? do they brush their teeth with it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

doesn't tap water quality really depend on location?

In San Francisco the water comes straight from the Yosemite valley and it's so pure they don't even filter it. Just add chlorine and pump it into the pipes. People here are still going nuts for the bottled stuff.

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol look at this guy trusting Bay Area infrastructure in 2020

If society collapses to that level, a couple 24-packs of Dasani aren't going to save you. That's when you hike down to lake merced with a 5 gallon bucket.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

not in california it doesnt

There was water on my car this morning. Checkmate motherfuker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so basically every restaurant and bar is just gonna go out of business right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DuckConference posted:

no it isn't

anybody who says "the death or hospitalization rate for age group x is y" is talking out of their rear end, because we actually have almost no idea right now. any fraction one can generate where the denominator is the number of people infected is somewhere between a wild-rear end-guess and a vaguely informed estimate

except for the "death rate for people in age group x who are hospitalized/on a ventilator"

once it's bad enough to go to the hospital we have pretty good statistics about the outcomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

really she's more concerned that they aren't stockpiling morphine, since they already run out on the reg when they aren't expecting large amounts of people dying there

i hear a kilo of carfentanil will go a long way. i'm sure some synthetic chem lab somewhere is itching to help out