Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

akadajet posted:

as i've been getting older it's been harder for me to get into playing a video game, so maybe try aging.

While my gaming variety has gone down, I find myself playing more of the same stuff over and over. Anything coop interests me because it's the easiest way for my social circle to get together in any capacity considering everyone's schedules these days. Deep Rock Galactic is currently the choice.

On the WFH front, I got myself a nice lap desk and it's helped tremendously in that I can sit anywhere in the house now and work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

haveblue posted:

if you're in a big city you can probably find used aerons on craigslist, they're a few hundred but worth it

they're also on amazon, if they're still delivering nonessential items

graph is in the same area as me. When I looked a couple years ago there was nada.

Herman Miller does an annual sale around this time for 15% off. It's still freakishly expensive though

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I gooned out and got a Valve Index last year. I guess it's playing off now, although I had no idea Valve was making a game when I bought it. Alyx is amazing a nice distraction from going stir crazy in the house.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Jonny 290 posted:

my biggest MISS in gun land was not picking up a cx4 storm when they were still in production

they take the same mags as my pistol. they're now a million dollars

and yes that is the battlestar galactica gun

I've been looking for cx4 for a while now. It's impossible to find any information when they're coming back.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

SO DEMANDING posted:

raise your hand if you absolutely cannot give a single gently caress about work

Buddy, hitting the post button is almost too much effort for me

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
We've had a critical position we've needed filled for two years now and we finally got the req open and posted this February. Now all hiring is frozen and they're projecting at least a 20% shortfall this year which means I can kiss seeing it filled goodbye as they'll cut any thing they can to make numbers.

It's enough to finally make me look, except for the fact there's a global recession going on.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Just thinking about the new Star Trek series is enough to make me mad. :bahgawd:

What if Star Trek, but we ignore the fundamental concepts of the series?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm amazed how well DS9 has aged.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

PIZZA.BAT posted:

finished hl:alyx yesterday. it was extremely good and i highly recommend it if you have a vr headset

Agreed. Now to wait another 3 years for a AAA level VR game to come along.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

echinopsis posted:

are you worried it’s going to soon not want to experience real life again

like I wonder if you ever get to the point where you’re playing vr and you need to take a poo poo and you get so pissed off that you have to leave the vr world you start to find catheterisation and a colostomy bag appealing

I don't get motion sickness, but VR gets my plumbing ready to go everytime.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I just realized today has been two weeks since I left my home to go anywhere outside of my back yard and the mailbox. Who knew I'd been training my entire life for this.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The sad part is I've been eating healthier and working out more than if I was going into the office. That place is such a stress pit.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

anyone else having trouble sleeping

ugh

Working out at home has been my cure for this. Otherwise I'd be an absolute insomniac at night.

qirex posted:

seriously don’t read the news but super extra don’t watch the news

I really really need to heed this advice. I've been a news freak for the past 5 years and it's not helped in the least.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

well i have two n95 masks that i found in my office drawer but idk if i should wear them out because i'll look like a heel

"They laughed at me the first time I wore jeans with a sport coat.  I was the first wealthy man in America to ever do that, now they all do it!"

As an aside, I thought I had an n95 lying around in my basement. Turns out it's some old relic I must have grabbed with my grandfather's tools when he passed years ago. It has no expiration date on it, uses a 3M logo in a style I've never seen, and references regulations from the seventies. I think I'm going to mark that one off as a loss.

I have a half mask respirator I could use if I want to pretend I'm Bane in public. (I don't)

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I get dressed (jeans t shirt) else I'd feel like poo poo after a day or two, and I need everything I can get to keep focused.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I really don't understand the shower in the morning thing even though most people do it. I like to feel clean when I crawl into bed at night.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
So after 2+years of a Jira migration off our old system, they decide to dump our move to production to my teams with one days notice and everything screwed up on the component mapping.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I wish I could to into details why they're scrambling now, but I know coworkers browse these boards.

I'll just say it looks good on paper to outsiders that we're using "modern" tools for our work, regardless of whether or not it actually works.

In the two plus years we could have updated our existing system to address the features we're missing and not have all our ticket history run through a shredder.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

syntaxrigger posted:

Wait what?!?! people like the smell of gasoline?!?!?

As a kid I did. Not in the, "I'm going to huff this" sense, but filling up a lawn mower or driving by a gas station it was not an unpleasant oder.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Methanar posted:

When it comes to the smell of gasoline, less is more. A little whiff can be nice.

Yeah if you linger around it gets unpleasant pretty fast.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

lancemantis posted:

its funny how much all this poo poo works and really everything has been a farce for the past 240+ years

I'm sure as hell not getting smarter as I get older. It's just so confusing as to why everyone else seems to be getting dumber.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
It's like that episode of Futurama, The Day The Earth Stood Stupid.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

echinopsis posted:

the person i work with who was gonna break quarantine ended up doing so and was caught by the cops and is probably gonna get fired

it’s usually very hard to get fired in nz but she purposely stayed as a non-employee this whole time. she was always so casual about losing her job and working somewhere else but this is such a different time.

she might be hosed

Congrats

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Roosevelt posted:

look man i just want to buy the biggest dildo you have in the fewest number of clicks, this isn't complicated

Thankfully, Styme was never for sale

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Adding to the Forgotten Weapons endorsement train.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Agile Vector posted:

desktop tower wont power on, tempted to buy the best micro center/powerspec offering instead of fixing this 9 year old 2500k beast of a box or building one from parts mid-pandemic and shipping 1070ti to my brother since the rest of the tower is old af

I've got a 2600k i was looking to upgrade when all this went down. There seems to be part shortages everywhere as most of the components I was looking at are out of stock. I was waiting for the next gen Nvidia cards before I pulled the trigger, but it looks like those are moved out to the fall at the earliest.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Jira is a POS. That is all.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Side note. Some of my buddies got a Minecraft server for us to shoot the poo poo in. They went with the win10 version because it's cross play compatible with the Xbox and Switch versions. I'd keep getting disconnected if alt-tabbed out to do something like read a wiki page. Turns out if you're full-screen in a Win 10 application and you minimize it, it suspends the process, and there's nothing an application developer can do about it. :wtchris:

The amount of regression in the software industry in the past decade for solved problems is dumbfounding

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

mystes posted:

That sounds like a legacy of how WinRT was designed for mobile devices. I think that Microsoft has fixed some of this stuff now that they've given up on mobile, but I guess they haven't fixed everything yet. Suspending the processes makes sense if you're using an Android-style app lifecycle but it makes much less sense on a desktop.

Exactly, but when I was looking into it, it's been an issue for at least two plus years. You'd think they could have addressed it in that time.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

- violation of ethical guidelines (sex with students) (maybe, if it was "consensual" you'll probably just get a mandatory sabbatical)

Back in my college days there was a philosophy professor who kept getting turned down for tenure. He always blamed it on someone on the committee who "had it out for [him]". Turns out they "had it out for him" because he boinked a student (or several it was never clear) in the past. After his final rejection for tenure he left the college.

I was a naive freshman at the time, and thought he was a pretty cool dude until I learned that little detail.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
A lot of small liberal art colleges are struggling right now and have been for years due to tuition inflation. This may push a lot of them over the edge.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Funny follow up anecdote.

The guy's replacement was a younger gentlemen that apparently was quite pleasing to the ladies. Apocryphaly he had a student in his office who pulled the "is there anything I can do to help my grade? :wink:" and apparently lost his poo poo and threw her out of the office.

He was a legit cool dude.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

weird that he would "keep getting turned down." most places have an up-or-out policy -- you have to apply for tenure after ~6 probationary years, and if you get it you're set, but if you don't you get one terminal year and then you're fired.

It may have been this. The story is almost 20 years old at this point and I wasn't an expert on the process.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

in this forum we don't use capital letters

posting from mobile makes this a chore

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I about had a stroke last year when my mother mentioned that my father had signed up for a free trial of the Epoch Times. He'd always been conservative, but the past several years he's gone off the deep end and I don't think there's any coming back.

The sheer hypocrisy of all the stuff he'd railed against, blatantly going on for the past four years, and him being okay with it because it's his guy doing it has really makes me depressed when I think about it.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

theadder posted:

in before mao was good i guess

You know drat well if fismech were still here the next post would be "well actually" followed by fifty pages of additional posts by the morning.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm still wfh minimum until June and in Ohio.

We had a guys only weekend scheduled for the end of June before this all hit and officially canceled this past weekend. We knew it wasn't happening long before that though.

Thankfully that was the only thing I had planned. I feel bad for people who had something that took a lot of planning. My one buddy is getting married in August and I don't know what their backup plan is.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

fart simpson posted:

things can always get worse

E: holy hell does imgur suck from mobile

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 28, 2020

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The pro move is to land another job and resign in between the period of signing the acceptance letter and actually starting your last job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless