Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

ergonomics: your best posture is your next one

that said, i have a humanscale freedom task at work and it's the best chair i've ever used. i wish i'd taken it from work before the site closed last week :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

over the last several years i've become accustomed to the amount of personal interaction i get from being a professor and teaching several big studio classes every week. i already find the summer and winter breaks socially challenging, because i go from talking to about 100 different people a week to like 5, and the school is deserted and everyone i know with a normal job is still working 9-5 and all my coworkers are AWOL. i'm still working on papers and stuff but the social isolation is really hard.

normally i get through it with hobbies:

- riding motorcycle
- flying airplane
- making new things in the shops
- taking random classes and going to meetups

and, uh, WELP

i have been doing a lot of cooking and playing the piano but the classes have been cancelled since the 9th and i'm beginning to go crazy

as a professional ID who had some really good professors thank u for ur service :unsmith:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

If you eat hot enough you can piss hot which I have experienced only twice.

pretty sure my weed consumption is what makes me piss hot

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

echinopsis posted:

why??

my brother works at the meat works and he’s never been so busy wtf

american meat? cuz isn't american meat farming kind of a different beast than most other countries?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

1st rule of ergonomics: the best position is your next one

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

best task chair i've used so far has been a humanscale freedom task, without the extended headrest. i've had mine for about five years, and it even went through a fire (and might possibly not be there original chair i got pre-fire) and while i can't adjust the height anymore, it's still my favorite chair.

aeron's are alright, and i'm grateful that they really brought loose, easy movement into the forefront of task chair ergonomics (the best posture is your next one!!!!!), but i think the tension settings are kinda wack, not enough gradation between immobile and falling out the back of the chair. plus i'm a short sad man and even the normal size is a bit big for me

i've only briefly tried an embody task chair. it's a bit tall, but felt alright for the five minutes i used it. i've wanted to try the steelcase gesture & silq, but haven't been following furniture much for years, so not much reason to seek them out.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

nice avatar/post combo

it's no coincidence, like half of my posts are about chairs

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

lol i'm at 5 years and still the junior to all but one person on my team, they all have like 20+ yrs on me

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my work let us know that if we can work from home just fine, to expect to be wfh through the rest of the calendar year at least. there's a bunch of on-site people now too, for production stuff mostly, but they've got them way more spread out and all with masks and stuff

i'm interested to see what happens to our open offices with short-wall/no-wall desks all packed in, since they were rolled out less than two years ago and everyone hates them.

i'm liking wfh overall, except that overall i'm worse at work -- but that's more from the underlying constant feeling of dread that comes with a global pandemic and being scared of losing my job.

i took this week off so that I can chill out and feel zero guilt for my work output, and clean up my home and improve my work from home area. mostly just been playing nonstop animal crossing ngl

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i mean at least the lake isn't a giant ad

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

same except barely hanging on for the past 2 months and now i'm fully past it and just hosed up real bad

but at least the weather is getting nicer

i feel ya, i feel like i've just been like slowly moving in a stupor for the past couple months, and my workload is catching up with me and it sucks

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

when i had top surgery (double mastectomy), i was out for 3-4 hrs, and then stupidly walked a few blocks back to our hotel and got a sandwich because i felt GREAT!!! because i was still on the good drugs, and then felt like i got hit by a truck the next day.

strabismus surgery was like an hour and a half out, but i don't remember much of the next 24 hrs because i couldn't open my eyes lol

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

this reminds me that i learned recently that toilets outside the US don't clog????

like it's the way American toilets are designed to flush that makes them clog more easily, and no one else keeps a plunger in their bathroom. what the gently caress???

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

please travel some more. in probably 75% of the world the plumbing system can't even handle toilet paper. if people don't have a plunger in their bathroom it's probably because they hid it in a cupboard or something.

https://pottygirl.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/why-do-american-toilets-clog/ is a blog someone linked that explained it, European & East Asian (dunno about outside that) toilets use a different flush design that has a wider pipe, and very rarely clogs.

granted i haven't experienced this on my own cuz i don't travel much and haven't been outside the country! i would travel more if i had the money, time, and cis-ness for it to be safe, but alas

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i mean mostly i'm going off of someone on this forum confused about why americans all have plungers cuz they have never had one or known anyone who did :shrug:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

but yeah cool that makes me wanna travel less (than i already wanted to travel)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i had five Fayetteville cop cars surround me and a total of about 1800 pounds of bacon came lumbering out of their cars screaming and pointing handguns at me because I was walking down the railroad tracks in the middle of town to get to work at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.

3: it's also the only state where radar detectors are illegal.

fort smith cops got me evicted after a robbery :blessed:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

until the sex crime stuff showed up their life was GREAT.

They had a ~~~~ beautiful home ~~~~

and then upgraded to a weird apocalypse fortress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUtjj2mKagA

lmao this toddler prison house this lady built in the sims looks so much like that house

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

this has to be 100% on purpose she even matched the colours

bravo, random youtuber lady

oh whoops, totally missed that part

also i grew up in ar and went with friends a few times to the creepy non-denominational churches that ran around on wednesday nights to pick up kicks in big ol vans and take them out to the churches in the woods, where you could hang out with your friends and do outdoorsy poo poo until they bait-n-switched you with the jesus and brimstone. as bad as the big baptist/methodist churches were, they didn't hold a fuckin candle to that poo poo, and i'm glad i never went to them more than a couple times before bailing

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Methanar posted:

I got stuff done today I'm actually proud of (saving soulless billion dollar corporation lots of money) and have nobody to share it with.

:smith:

congrats, i'm proud of u too :unsmith:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

can't see anything wrong with going all-in on a single-industry town running off a limited resource. what's the worst that could happen?

good point, the bay area is a bad place to move

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i got a new wacom tablet from the school and it's p nice because it's smaller than my old one for the same size work area and it has bluetooth. also it works like a giant tragic macpad so that's kinda neat.

but i've been using it for like a week now and the pen nib is already wearing down. what the gently caress wacom. like yes these things are replaceable, and it comes with 8 spares, but they normally last way longer. months. goddamn cheap 2020 crap

was it one of the felt tip nibs? cuz i blew thru those things super fast, so much that i just stopped using them in favor of the regular plastic ones

i've since switched to using an ipad pro + pencil + procreate and i don't really miss using the cintiq, but those fuckin nibs wear down quick too, and they're expensive as poo poo

graph posted:

6+ months in is anyone else not getting anything done before noon

i do all my work in the morning cuz i wake up at like 4am, but my work output and executive function over all are not great. i really hate it

i have end of year reviews in a couple weeks, and last week my manager put comments on the goals or whatever i made in january and they're all like "hmm i haven't seen any of this work yet???" and i am dreading having that conversation, even though i've improved a lot in the past couple months. but god i don't know what to say other than like sorry dude, i'm just proud that i haven't skipped a shower in 8 months

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my work ipad has a keyboard case attachment thingy, and it's surprisingly good. i really only use it for sketching and some notetaking, but i can use it in a pinch for email or whatever, and it's really surprisingly pleasant.

still struggle with using a mac tho cause i can't remember any of the hotkeys :negative:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is pretty correct

My Oasis is currently going through the paces reading genre poo poo I read as a kid so I can see how I feel about it now, and most importantly escape from reality

Someone here once pointed out that Kindles were for books you were too embarrassed to show the cover of in public and they're half wrong, the Kindle Store and Kindle Unlimited is completely flooded with trash and the recommendations are useless.

Shame too, the technology is nice.

back in college, i made the mistake of accidentally showing someone something on my kindle and now it never leaves the house out of embarrassment

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was 27 when the first Kindle came out.

well excuse me grandpa

also i was like 24 at the time alright

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i'm so loving tired of fires. just so loving tired.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i don't understand why anyone would want to stay in this city i am living in anymore. fires are loving terrifying and exhausting and this place has been stripped of any culture it used to have. it's expensive and boring and i have zero desire to stay here, but everywhere else looks like it sucks too. where the gently caress is even a good place to move to anymore.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

rotor posted:

Berlin seems nice. Maybe Oslo. Kona.

i am not a skilled computertoucher and my field is stupid and competitive and i am an incredibly mediocre designer. i have no skills that anyone wants lol

i wish i could move to europe or something, but there is very very little hope for that.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

where i live right now is a pretty great place for being trans, i've had little to no harassment issues, trans medical care has been a breeze for me to get. i am pretty scared that anywhere else i move is gonna be a struggle for that, but i'm so tired of evacuating and the smoke and fires and all of it. i don't like wine or beer much, i'm not particularly outdoorsy, so this place is kind of useless for me lol

and it's not like rent or house prices are going to go down, because people from SF/more expensive areas in the bay are snatching up real estate here to get out of the city lol

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my apartment smells like smoke from outside and i feel like poo poo lol

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

now on medical leave because everything broke my brain and it sucks!

but being on leave is also kind of a relief. except i have no idea how long i should be on leave for.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

President Beep posted:

good luck, goon. plans for therapy or anything?

i have years of therapy under my belt, and have tried pretty much every antidepressant class. thank u treatment resistant depression + adhd!! but i started seeing a new therapist recently, and am on a waiting list for a dbt class, and am workin with my psychiatrist to see what other med options we can try.

honestly tho i think it's just plain ol burnout, plus stress from the fires and ya know, everything else going on right now!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i went on medical leave for a couple months, today was my first day working again and i'm only working 4hrs a day for a couple weeks. i hit 3 hours and needed a nap, but hey, that's progress!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

kind of you to suggest. we just have her go outside or else pop some bigass noise canceling headphones on her if she was watching tv or listening to music. she’s 3.5 y/o and is overly sensitive to loud sounds since she turned 3, i try to respect that as it seems cruel to force her to be inured to it at such an age

i have whatever the costco-knockoff version of the instapot is, and i was trying to remember why it's just sat in my cupboard after the first couple times i used it, and that's why! i really fuckin hate loud sudden noises, and trying to vent/open the thing made me super anxious.

i should use it again tho, it seems handy, but idk, it doesn't seem that much more useful than a crockpot and at least the crockpot doesn't try to scald me

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

we've been checking websites a couple times a day to try and get my spouse a shot, cuz he works retail. he had an appt for a couple weeks ago, but they all got cancelled (same for a bunch of his coworkers), and we haven't seen a free appt since. :(

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i looked away for a second and the nurse jabbed me before i could even realize she was going to, but then she couldn't actually tell where she'd poked me, so this lil bandaid is 100% for show and probably not even in the right place :shobon:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i misparsed this before i realized and thought you were talking about steroids lmao

when i did hrt shots (steroids lol) i never used lil bandaids either, except for once when i def hit a capillary.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my arm hurts :'(

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

wasn't it for millennials or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

got my 2nd 5g shot yesterday and now i feel like i've been hit by a truck. the chills only lasted a few hours thankfully, but my head hurts and it sucks, and it's also a lil cathartic. i just want to lie in bed all day and i might just do that