Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
hello fellow computer touchers, i called in sick and read Bartleby, the Scrivener today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chris Knight posted:

goin back in April :toot:

my office is doing this too

good thing i moved in July but uhh not thrilled with the decision for my coworkers

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
lmao i'm in a meeting where a manager is telling us that we set the tenor for other people in responding to back to office plans

it's almost like he knows that i'm connecting people who want to leave with open positions elsewhere

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
seems like more people are bowling alone these days

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Alone

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

how are there still dudes advertising their presence to the world with profile pictures this lovely in 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
my mistake, i looked at his Twitter and he's just ugly

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

covid will never end. it will never not be extremely dangerous to be outside. or in any public place.

covid will never end but with rudimentary precautions, it's safe to be outside or in public. wear a well fitting, quality mask like an N95 and you're fine.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
if my company had tried to reduce my salary, i would simply hit da bricks

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
having fun posting

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

A lot of people itt jealous that Elon is a successful billionaire.

richest man in the world and he's African-American

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i managed to use the pandemic as leverage to secure permanent WFH but my company is going full "open biden" next week and reading the schedule of events is making me feel ill

there's a whole week of events planned around "meeting in crowded rooms and sharing a meal". who planned this, covid?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i have idly thought about sending the CEO some flowers from "covid" with a little "thanks for opening up" note but i want to keep being paid for my work

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

echinopsis posted:

i’m trying to figure out how to feel about it because I’ve been quite concerned up until recently but when I start to look at the numbers it doesn’t seem as bad as I previously thought, and I am just unsure how to think about it, but I often find myself naive and ignorant about every topic in the world and I wonder what others think about it because I don’t want to look like a clown

i'm not worried about getting covid once and having issues, i'm worried about getting covid five times and having issues

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gnossiennes posted:

i feel mostly better, except that as i've gotten better i have lost all sense of taste and smell lol. i thought i'd dodged it :(

there are a few things you can do to address that, such as smell training

and yeah, bonafide masks is legit but for my money, i prefer zoro.com

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
something about planning the next five sprints this morning broke me and i have an interview this afternoon, full remote

I've been at places that do bad agile but it's never been this bad, lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

yeah in retrospect i should've started slinging resumes when we couldn't reliably complete the work in a two week sprint so the management solution was to make sprints three weeks

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the big problem with the implementation I'm dealing with is that they're using agile to generate metrics, not finished work

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

something about planning the next five sprints this morning broke me and i have an interview this afternoon, full remote

I've been at places that do bad agile but it's never been this bad, lmao

got the job, putting an end to this thrilling story

more money, defined responsibilities, less work - everything i was looking for

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fabricated posted:

The answer is that nobody really knows yet.

partially because nobody knows how many times you'll have covid and the effects can be cumulative

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fart simpson posted:

it took me about 25 years to get shingles actually

that's wild, I'm constantly seeing ads for hot shingles in my area

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
pfc may make tedious posts but at least there's a lot of them

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

pretty bummed about covid

i do not think i can bottle the feeling of "the last two weeks on a job" but if i could, i'd share it with you

it's kinda fun to watch people panic and figure out how to cover all of my responsibilities

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MrQueasy posted:

The only thing I've used my printer for lately has been crossword puzzles.

same, got the cheap brother toner printer five years ago and it's still working like a charm

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mediaphage posted:

masks with headstraps are better anyway, buy different masks if you can afford it. i wear giant glasses and don't have a problem with fog ups or fitting them around my frames

yeah, if this was being done in any sort of coordinated way, it'd be possible to get a variety of masks to find the type that works best for your face

unfortunately, all responsibility has been pushed to the individual :toot:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
make sure not to stress yourself, don't drink alcohol, etc. etc.

treatments at this stage are much better than they were two years ago

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, i'm trying to get some paxlovid. waiting on the e-doctor to call back. apparently i need to talk to three people to get some free drugs

it is actually incredibly easy to deal with the healthcare system while sick and I'm not sure why anyone would complain

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
(sarcasm)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

telling me not to kvetch is antisemitism

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

got some paxlovid. it is absolutely wild that pharmacy workers were unmasked

grats, get well soon

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
this joke isn't funny, can we just acknowledge that it's mission hill and move on?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
succumbing to the death drive is an individual choice and we should respect it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

post hole digger posted:

tell em lowtax sent ya

that deal's dead

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The_Franz posted:

i'd love to go on one of those cruises to the arctic where they have professors onboard who give lectures and do day trips to look at polar bears and things like that. too bad they start in the 5-figure usd range

plus there's a good chance that if you're on one of them, you'll get to bully jonathan franzen

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
wild how so many people in my office are out sick a week after we reopened

hard to say what could be causing this, much to consider in my last two days

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

i'd be amenable to yosposters crashing on my pull-out-sofa if anyone was interested. i empirically live in the coolest place

you couldn't handle my extreme opinions about climate change

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

that sucks dude, i'm sorry

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I loving despise cars anymore and I despise interacting with car users

Seems like any trip I take anymore I see some insane rear end in a top hat doing dangerous stuff

i live near an urban center and a restaurant a block from me just had their patio destroyed by a man who fell asleep at the wheel, while cruising around looking for uber passengers

at least half of the drivers i see are on their phones and they're driving vehicles bigger than ever before. bird scooters is working hard to get children on the streets where i live.

the automobile destroyed our planet lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
woke up to some pretty based posts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
all your based are belong to us, is that anything?