Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Broken Machine posted:

i picked up toilet paper yesterday, and i almost felt like saying to the clerk at the checkout, hey i'm not hoarding this i'm just low on stock and i'd rather not run out, it has nothing to do with corona. i bet corona isn't fun though! eventually someone will have a trip report

sir i am buying these paper towels because im out i am not looking to wipe my rear end with them like these other desperate losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Sagebrush posted:

lol the university just decided we're teaching online for the rest of the semester (third week of may). that's gonna work just great for wood shop and cnc machining and all that poo poo.

just call the school year over already. this poo poo is hosed

finally it's second lifes time to shine in education

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

echinopsis posted:

hate it all. the regulations that are necessary are giving me reason to work from 6am till 8pm to get it ready. I feel so overwhelmed and snowed under and there’s no reprieve, it’s important stuff that needs to get to help the community so I can keep chugging but I hate it all lol

hey man you're doing important work

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Jabor posted:

videoconferencing latency absolutely murders anybody asking impromptu questions. In real life, you open your mouth, start to make a sound, then if someone else has already started talking you back off. over a typical video link you don't actually notice them talking in time to stop.

so people end up talking over each other, then try to awkwardly figure out who should speak first, then nobody talks after that unless they're specifically called upon because they don't want to deal with that hassle. The more people involved, the quieter it gets.

there should be a way to queue up for questions to the presenter, like press button to get in line, ping it's your turn, press button to give mike to next in line

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
what better time to do a surprise team reorganization and move everyone over on jira

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Jonny 290 posted:

woke up at 5am realizing that i really just wanna get the roni and die and get it over with because lol there is no future, we're not getting a vaccine, we will be in lockdown forever, capitalism has failed and the billionaires in power will let the world die before they allow any sort of collectivism

feel free to call me a chicken little if i am eventually wrong about any of this, i will gladly take that whuppin

this is the russian flu

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
to improve focus and efficiency we're now not allowed to work on anything that hasn't been lovingly crafted into a ticket and prioritized by the blessed hand of the pm
but also they don't really know who we are or what we do and haven't been able to answer what ticket i should work on next when explicitly asked

this is a tiny team that was mostly self-driven until a few weeks ago and could probably have gone wfh as is without much impact. we sure dodged that bullet

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i like the funky håg chair but i couldn't have one at work cause i do the dumbest positions

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

DuckConference posted:

in other news the update on this

my name now features prominently on a spreadsheet being passed around management. the pressure is dropping at the centre of this tropical storm of bullshit and home depot is all out of plywood sheeting.

build a minimal prototype that's fast enough and become team lead for a doomed project to extend that prototype with features until it is as slow as where you started, imo

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
looks like my nextjob will be remote so just permalock me to this and the remote working threads i guess :toot:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i'm a 'former marine too, fought with seaspray and broadside against trypticon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

penus de milo posted:

just got a new job working remote for the first time in my life and also it'll be remote even if lockdown ends, absolutely loving doing standup with no pants on so far

yeah i'll be permanently wfh soon too..
i think i should spend a bit more effort on setting up my home office - i got the good chair but a better desk and extra monitor would be good. need to check what work will pay for