Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
they had extensive state support until they didn’t because the founder spoke a bit too much about things the authorities didn’t like.

it was the tcm of its day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

freeasinbeer posted:

they had extensive state support until they didn’t because the founder spoke a bit too much about things the authorities didn’t like.

it was the tcm of its day.

on the other hand one could say so did bob jones from politicians in California, until one day he didn’t.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’m paying $3600 for an apartment in NYC, and am now living at my parents in Florida.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

how does your mom feel about the kubernetes fad

since it pays me big figgies, she thinks it’s great for a near HS drop out.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
my company is saying September and even then vastly reducing the number of desks.

hot dealing was mentioned. I loled hard.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Our current plan is that we are all work from home indefinitely unless you have a specific reason to be at the office, which I do occasionally. I guess the laser lab I built is also just my personal office now as well? That way I can work without a mask since no one else will be in there. A few of my friends are considering moving to Honolulu though because their job in SF is going to be wfh forever and they would rather live here and pay less in rent.

I am also considering this, but time zones would destroy me.

e:fb

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I got married this Christmas in Tahiti and while I was over there I had a remote offer and like a dummy didn’t take it.

As we were heading back me and the misses looked at Hawaii was the fallback option because Tahitian visas looked like a PITA. I was worried that the market was gonna be too tied to defense contractor work, and that if I lost my remote job I’d be screwed.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

every time i visit my relatives in the carolinas they warn me not to speed in virginia

this is because virginia has two particular rules about speeding:

1) going 20 miles an hour over the limit is an automatic roadside vehicle impoundment + up to 6 months in jail

2) in addition to the absolute speed limits, the police can at their discretion determine that you were speeding if you were driving too fast for the conditions. so for instance if you're going 60 but it's december and there's a light dusting of frost on the ground, and the virginia pigs decide that the appropriate speed for this dangerous snow-covered road is 40, see point #1

it’s automatic reckless for going 20 over, or anything over 80. there is no automatic impoundment. and you’ll likely get pled down to 19 over and have to do traffic school.

the over 80 bit gets a fair bit of folks, because in a lot of places interstates in VA have a speed limit of 70.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
my one grandpa was a little too young for ww2 and spent the tail end of the war as a lifeguard in the navy. he joined the Air Force after and spent 20 years flying cargo all over the world as an enlisted flight engineer, including air dropping an entire library in Alaska and fly weapons in and bodies out in the early part of what became the Vietnam war.

His best story was the time he spent attached to the squadron that flew executive transports out of Andrews. He never flew on Air Force One, but everything short of that.

So he’s flying one day, and it’s Curtis LeMay, now grandfather has his private pilot license; and for longer trips he’d jump in the pilots seat to give one of the pilots a break. General LeMay decides to pay a visit to the flight crew in flight while my grandfather was sitting in one of the pilots chairs, or at least in a position that an officer would normally be in. I might be miss remembering but something about a jacket saved him from LeMay noticing while he said hi, which was a big deal because he is someone who would of probably ended everyone’s present careers? I might be really butchering the story, all I really remember is something about the jacket saving him from LeMay screwing with him.

my other grandfather also served in the Air Force as an enlisted dude, and somehow was attached to an Aussie helo group in Vietnam that marked targets for bombing runs with phosphorus grenades out of old Mash style helicopters. He somehow got a bronze star along the way.

his only other anecdotes were that Maine and Thule Greenland were the coldest shitholes on earth and that he hated both of them.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
now that I can be remote forever where should I live? would love to be on water or near it, and I guess cities are kinda out of the picture.

also preemptively let me say not Pittsburgh, or Cleveland. if I want to live in a post industrial shithole I’d move back to Baltimore.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have some bad news if you think rural areas are low risk for covid

I just buy everything on amazon now, so I outsource my risk taking to lowly paid warehouse workers for a small yearly fee.

having spent some time in rural areas during corona Han it’s been a hell of a lot easier to isolate in rural areas then NYC or Suburbs.

although Orange County Florida was doing a surprising well job when I ran errands yesterday. better then NYC to be honest.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

owl_pellet posted:

First figure out whether or not living in a place with a lower COL than your current place will cause your company to lower your pay

so I asked around(as I am new), and the answer is that historically they haven’t and there is a large remote contingent of senior ICs.

in the bar old days they even paid to relocate an entire team to Germany, got them visas and kept them on NYC rates.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
if y’all aren’t getting suburus. what are you getting?

also are there any tall goons, what do y’all drive?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
let me rephrase that, what’s the best car in the mid size suv market. I’m giving up an 09 Jeep Liberty and liked something along those lines.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’m 2m. am I gonna fit?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I have that little PC and love it as a little linux workstation.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
luckily for me I’ve already saved my company multiples of my salary and am on track for waaaaaayyyyyyy more.

edit:
as in luckily for me as far as imposter syndrome and affirming my desire for more capital.

I’d much rather make far less, and pay way more in taxes for a robust social safety net so I could stop serving the whims of idiots.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

don't worry this means nothing to them lol.

oh, yeah I’m under no illusions. it just helps me with my imposter syndrome and leaves me hungry to get more of their capital.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I pay 100k a year in tax+healthcare+retirement, and my health care doesn’t even cover a drat thing until I spend at least $3k. after that they only cover 80%.

give me socialized healthcare any day of the week.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tk posted:

Retirement savings is not something that you pay.

401ks as a replacement for a robust socialized system of elder care and pensions as well as the tax implications of contributing or not contributing make it a wash mentally for me. I get that is an unorthodox view, but in my case I’d gladly give up preferential tax treatment for a wider social safety net.

I also view it as a tax in the sense that without contributing to my retirement plan in the US, I’m setting myself up to be somewhat destitute in my final years. in other places this wouldn’t be as major of a concern to me.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
at best that “savings” we are gonna quibble about is $20k. I am only including retirement savings that are directly deducted from my paycheck that also reduce my the amount of taxes I pay on my income.

now I will go to the mat on this as I have lived and paid into various systems for stints overseas, and argue that the messed up system around social welfare in the US makes it a “shadow” tax as I have to go out of my way to have more savings but I get that is too far for some of y’all. The point I’m trying to make is that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows over here.

I still pay 80k a year in tax + healthcare and have a $3k deductible before they pay for anything. I went to a primary care doc for a minor medical thing, which will probably cost $200, and I need follow up imaging, which based on previous times will cost me $1000? If I had something real bad I’m looking at $12k out of pocket until I hit my max for the year.

so yeah it’s cheaper per month, but my point of use charges are much higher and I still could get a huge $12k bill out of no where. give me socialized medicine. please.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for real you're actually paying even more than that per month for that poo poo coverage. and by that i mean the probably additional half of that which your employer is covering as part of your compensation package

based on some documentation I’ve seen at my last place, I’d suspect it’s $300-$400 or more a month plus $56 to me a paycheck

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
so Ruth’s Chris named so because of the sales contract she signed with the dude when she bought “Chris’s Steak House”.

she was apparently a pretty prominent lesbian in New Orleans, and I’ve been told she was the sort of matriarch of that community until she died.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah I would never eat at Ruth’s Chris now, it got sold to an investment company and they immediately moved to Florida and didn’t replace the OG location after it got destroyed.

if you do ever make it to New Orleans there are _really_ good steak places, they are 💯% worth it.

then again there is a ton of really good food there, and I hope covid doesn’t kill it too badly.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

Currently not the concept of time well.

its a saturday afternoon and I've done nothing but lose video games and watch people on the internet be as angry as possible with the intention of making as many people as possible feel as bad as possible.

I don't actually have anything better to do. I don't have anywhere to go.

The last 3 weeks I took some initiative of visiting different churches, temples and mosques during service just as something to do, but I've lost the initiative. mandatory masks everywhere province wide until 2021. That was okay as something to get out of the house. A nice sihk man explained their faith to me when he was weirded out by the only whitey sitting in the temple during a service spoken in punjabi.

Nothing is happening. Days are getting noticeably shorter and there could be permanently snow on the ground in 8 weeks. I wanted to try and avoid the winter depression again by camping out in las vegas with my uncle for a few months, but that's obviously not going to happen now.

I've tried so many times to email and contact old friends and coworkers just to talk and ask how they've been but I've received exactly 0 response. It's been 3 weeks. If everything wasn't shut down I'd force myself to go take an adult art class of some kind just so I don't have to sit home alone anymore. I'm going to have to eat a 5th consecutive 7-8 month long winter working from home alone. Except now its for a job that I can't pretend is a personality or fulfilling labour.

edit; alternatively hop on the yospos discord? if you haven’t? https://discord.gg/nzfBay

it’s good to poo poo post in a more real time fashion when shits hosed?

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 9, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

yeah but what if its not
what if it is?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

that’s definitely the easiest thing to be in Texas, yes. that’s true pretty much anywhere in the US to varying degrees.

the way demographics are going i am pretty sure it will be a blue state within my lifetime but I wouldn’t count on it happening in the next couple elections.

I worked with ppl in Austin; it was the main place for my reporting chain; even though it had ostensibly liberal workers, whenever they came to visit our companies global HQ in a Northeastern City, one with a history of issues with crime and systemic racism they consistently said poo poo like “a polite society is an armed society”. they also were apt to repeat dog whistles about our majority minority city government; which meant that they fit in well with the other chuds that lived in the suburbs and refused to interact with the city.

I guess what I am saying is that Austin is great if you are a closet racist that wants to live in a suburb an hour from work. If you want to live in close; those houses are easily 1 million+ already.

edit; so the affordability argument in regards to Austin is real dumb imo.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I had some insight into hiring; and the difference in compensation between SFO; Austin and where I was at was that Austin was even if not worse paid then my location at around 135; and that SFO was 50-70k higher; and we couldn’t hire anyone in that market; whereas we could elsewhere.

My rent for a fully redone rowhome with 2 beds and a full basement was $2350. my commute was 20 mins walking. so I was paid better then my counterparts in Austin, and had a cheaper home while still living close to my job.

Also I feel like stuff might be outta whack if you’re saying 1 bedroom condo at $475k as affordable.

that’s closer to what I’d pay in outer Brooklyn/Queens for a one bedroom; and I now make more then 2x what I did/could of made in Austin.

I guess what I am saying is that Austin doesn’t get paid well, is absolutely surrounded by chuds, and is super unaffordable unless you embed with the chuds in round rock.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
maybe I made that bit unclear; If I went to SF; I’d expect $300k+ TCO, minimum at this point.

I’m near that in NYC as is. so yeah double the salary of what people in Austin I worked with were getting.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
think of it this way; your fart app is using less electricity and generating less waste heat.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Uptime Sinclair posted:

this must be an american thing because i’ve never heard tell of canadian catholics doing missionary work. more of a baptist/pentecost preoccuption. and if it is an american i’m not surprised

Catholic lay person missions usually do stuff like volunteer work. I for example worked post Katrina clearing out homes for a few weeks(although I’m not Catholic, I did it via a Catholic volunteer org). Actual converting was something that seemed the domain of ordained priests.

Mormons actually send kids out to pound the pavement globally, and that’s their sole focus as far as I am aware.

Edit: Maybe that also stems from them not having an ordained minister class that was truly separate and that basically every male member in good standing in Mormonism being a de facto minister or something like that iirc?

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 24, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
yeah you hosed up by even talking to HR in the first place. a bunch of companies are freaking out about tax liabilities now because their staff has scattered to the winds, and then doing work remotely means technically it opens them up to taxes in each US state, let alone other countries. in the before times they’d be blissfully unaware it was a thing.

HR groups are usually really really dumb and hate looking into ambiguous one offs so they only focus on something that has reached critical mass enough for them to buy some training on. typically that’s sexpests and stuff like bias training, with covid and remote work it’s tax nexuses.

I’d really doubt they could mess with a visa though, besides just stopping sponsorship. they aren’t all powerful. I guess they could go after you for fraud? and try to have you arrested, but that seems insane.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
he’s not short, we’re just all jacked up bodybuilders who’s family could afford food.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is correct.

Height discrimination is classism.

I’m 2m tall, went hungry a lot and had fun things happen like the electricity turned off multiple times when we missed too many payments.

maybe you’re just an insufferable person, who grabs onto various nebulous reasons for their misfortune. life isn’t magical if you’re tall.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MononcQc posted:

The city I'm from in Quebec is pretty isolated (2h drive from the closest bigger city) and not very large (~200k people), but our college has a province-unique media program where people study to do stuff like journalism, radio, advertisement, and tv or movie-related trades. So every year we get a bunch of Montreal kids moving in temporarily for college. Montreal's not that far, it's ~500km and if you drive it normally you're there in 4.5 to 5 hours. It's closer by than SF is to LA.

I shared some electives and the multimedia program I was in was located in the same building and had a shared cafeteria. They constantly behaved like they'd soon be part of the star-system by working in the media, and would re-frame everything in terms of it. Something about the combination of "gonna make it big" (rather than just ending up manning the console at a lovely municipal tv station with 2h of non-network programming a day), knowing they'd not stick around, and being the first time they ever lived away from home made them insufferable.

They just walked around like they were Brits landing in any other culture and going to bring in civilization to us poor unwashed masses. I wish I were kidding, but when you'd overhear them discussing things in their in-group, they literally called the rest of us "the natives". It's already loving insulting to take aboriginal folks and just call em that way, but somehow dumping everyone else within that same out-group doesn't feel like equal opportunity dismissal.

Anyway if this is the dynamic within the same province within a day's driving distance, I can't imagine the poo poo people from flyovers get from the city folks just breezing through as "digital nomads" and all the self-assigned pride that comes from this poo poo.

on the other hand the locals voted overwhelmingly for trump, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
issue he was trying to address was medical providers that cater to a particular religious group just giving the vaccine to folks who pretty blatantly shouldn’t be front of the line. this religious group is also notorious for lack of mask wearing and encouraging systematic avoidance of testing so as to deny the authorities any idea if the virus was raging. they also throw weddings still with thousands of guests.

this is not an excusal of cuomo, and I’m pretty well on the get needles in arms stage, but goddamn I don’t want Hasids jumping the line, in front of at risk groups, health care workers or the other millions people in Brooklyn alone.