Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
lol someone at czi down the street here in redwood city got the virus and now my company is going to allow work from home, which the ceo is generally opposed to. gives us a chance to prove that we can wfh and still get all the necessary poo poo done. so i guess this virus has a silver lining, i mean not for the people who get sick, but like, for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

President Beep posted:

whats upstream

nmu

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i count 24 people in the office today

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jimmy Carter posted:

because who knows how long this is gonna last, I just signed up 4 other WFH friends to take this opportunity to band together and haggle with local office liquidators to buy some aerons since SJ is never short on companies going under and we might as well be adults and upgrade from gaming chairs

can i get in on this

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm still coming to the office because wfh is too lonely and i will just end up smoking weed all day

also i am "not allowed" to use my far superior personal laptop to vpn in, they only want company computers on the company network. unless your computer is a phone, then it can be on the network and it's fine. i tried to convince IT that this didn't make sense, i could have jailbroken my phone and have root and be doing god knows what on your network, but they aren't buying it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

update: i talked privately with the IT guy and yeah, no vpn from personal computers is "policy", but they aren't actually filtering, so i can do it anyway and it will work fine and he doesn't care

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my productivity is great because instead of meetings i can actually write code, but business level productivity is not good because sales is having trouble even scheduling demos much less getting a contract approved during all this

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i can't tell if people are panicking here in the bay area or not. like, most of the tech employers are having people work from home, so the traffic is much lighter, but everyone who is doing actual work seems to still be doing it. construction across the street still going, coffee shops are open and have people, restaurants are open, grocery stores have normal stock of most things except hand sanitizer, people are chatting in groups and out walking their dogs like it ain't no thing

they cancelled the loving nba though that has to mean something

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

what good are antibiotics going to do against a virus efb

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i hit up the grocery outlet and stocked up on the essentials. you know, pop tarts, white claw, thos beans

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

um well i did about 5 minutes of actual work today if you don't count the two 30min video calls and the one 8am phone call with the uk

tomorrow i'm planning to do less

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the name is coronavirus because that's what everyone calls it. covid-19 is some bullshit that in fact just means "coronavirus from 2019" even though we only started caring in 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

being on the meet team, we use it. everyone is working 12 hour days on scaling.

google didn't build it for scale to begin with? lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

hangouts meet has worked better for me than ringcentral yeah

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'll be spending two hours of "work" on a bike ride after this meeting at 1:30

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I was being sarcastic

have you tried getting a job touching computers? seems we all work from home these days

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

so how come the message in italy is "get off the street, you have to stay at home, period" while here in california it's "you can go for a walk with your dog, just stay six feet away from everyone else"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

maybe my weed addled brain is too chilled out but everyone in this forum is probably going to be ok financially? except smoka

like this will pass, if you watch the news it is bad but we all knew it was going to be bad so why freak out even more? it doesn't help anything to pull your own hair out, just stay inside and wash your hands and do what the officials say, it is all you can do, this is outside of your control like the weather

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

jim rome loving sucks and i have no idea how anyone can listen to him

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

cspam is convinced that joe biden is secretly dead

which, you know, would actually be cool and good, but i just don't have that level of conspiratorial optimism. guess i'm not cut out to be a cspam poster

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

after watching trump's press conferences for the last few days, i'm pretty sure a dead president would be better than what we have now

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

where's my $1200 nancy

where is it

you fucks don't get to go on vacation now

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm cashing my $1200 check and when tax time rolls around i'm paying half of it to a fancy accountant to find me a way to get around paying back the other half

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i believe it's a check but with a corresponding tax credit that not everyone will be eligible for

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if gavin newsom says "meet this moment" one more time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

experiencing a modicum of pleasure during bleak times in a way that causes no harm to anyone: NOT ESSENTIAL

HER MAJESTY'S GOUVERNMENT REQOUIRES YOUR COUMPLIANCE, SUBJECT

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i went to a range once and shot pistols with a coworker who was into that. he had a few different ones including like a .40 caliber. i had never even held a gun before so i expected to be terrible at shooting, probably mess up my forearm from the recoil, etc. but instead the main thing i remember is how loving EASY it was. like i'm sure competitive target shooting is difficult, but just pulling the trigger and hitting the paper target was so easy a caveman could do it. i couldn't get the thought out of my head, "wow if i had one of these and i needed to kill someone, it would be absolutely no problem at all"

e: irl when nervous i'm sure you miss all the time and paper targets don't shoot back etc.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm doing about as much work from home as i do from the office, which is not a lot

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

every day is the same: sit inside on computer, consume some media, play some board games with the gf, eat a food, smoke a weed, drink a beer

so basically the same poo poo i do normally anyway. i just can't go to restaurants so i'm probably losing weight as a bonus! sitting inside with all social interactions mediated through computer is how i grew up and became a professional computer toucher, i was born for this poo poo, bring it on

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if my job could be distilled down to jira tickets then they wouldn't have to pay me so much to do it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

we're saving do much money in restaurants lol.

what do you care aren't you like a l7 at google making 700k a year

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i ordered some bbq from a restaurant over the weekend and they had great deals like 25% off all food, and they would sell you their cocktails premixed in a quart or pint container and those were like 65% off, plus discounts on whole bottles, etc.

also judging by all these car commercials, car dealerships are currently like "no interest, no payments for 6 months, we will bring the car to you and suck your dick on delivery" so i guess if you want to buy things, now is a good time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i don't think so? they will just not pay rent for a bit. what are the landlords going to do, lease the property to another restaurant?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

medicare for all (lol)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

they made the weed stores in santa clara county medical-only, which is really stupid because everyone who had a rec let it expire because you don't need it anymore. (you used to have to pay a doctor $50 every year to renew.) so basically those dispensaries are just shut down, because santa clara county officials are anti-weed idiots. delivery services still going strong here in san mateo county, but i picked up an ounce just in case they decide to gently caress with that too

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

welp back to forgitting to commit my sql transactions and locking the system

assuming this is postgres, because lol why would you use any other database, you can set idle_in_transaction_session_timeout (doesn't have to be global)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

wait echi you have a KID? that is hosed

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

secession is unconstitutional and if a state with significant military presence (ie, all of them) tried it, the feds would absolutely have none of it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the ballot in california for a major position like senate or governor or president has a dozen names of candidates from random rear end political parties that most people have never heard of. they don't get any meaningful amount of votes. millions of californians who would probably struggle to fill in a scantron have somehow trained themselves to scan through all those names, find the one that says DEMOCRATIC next to it, and fill in that box. i seriously doubt that a change to ranked-choice voting would result in any immediate change beyond just putting 1 in the same box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

they actually banned leaf blowers in residential palo alto but it's not enforced. at least you can come outside shaking a printout of the ordinance at the gardener who probably barely speaks english. also they're exempt if the blower is electric. that does at least avoid the awful two stroke motor noise but it still sounds like a leaf blower