Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

work from home has been fine for me for the most part though we had a conference call this morning and quickly realized the line didn't have enough lines for people calling in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/tentwentysixpm/status/1240089341864493057?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bump_fn posted:

counterpoint why aer you reading gbs

he watches anime so it's not like he has good taste

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

8 am
wake up
figure out what needs to be done for the day
start at that
get it done
10 am
uh
internet?
tv!
11 am
i should probably get an exercise in
right?
11:30 am
alright doing an exercise
12 noon or so
lunch!
1 pm
those emails look important
internet!
bideo james
5:30 pm
done

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have more work, and more immediate work because of this, so i will be fine. i hope the rest of y'all make it through though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I have this weird bitterness because all these computer touchers are all 'haha wfh! i jerked off 9 times today and watched s1 of game of thrones' and im like, i actually put in two hours of work today, like ive done every wfh day the past four years

i can honestly say i put as much work in at home as i do in the office

i might 'bate more at home tho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dc had to shut down a bunch of streets because idiots were flocking to see the loving cherry blossoms yesterday. it doesn't help that there are tour groups that are continuing to show up

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

an average bathtub filled to the brim is about 200 litres, so that's enough for a family of four to survive 2 weeks.

if you want to live at the next level up in that chart, including sponge baths and doing dishes and stuff, you aren't storing that in gallon jugs. you'd be using 5 of those jugs per person per day. not reasonable.

point stands

my parents would buy a couple giant garbage cans at the start of hurricane season and fill those up with water when a hurricane was coming to use as non-drinking water, then just use them as garbage cans for the following year. never had to get in them, thankfully, but it wasn't the worst idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rotor posted:

hey this is a really good idea

yeah, it doesn't work as well for earthquake prone places where, obviously, you have no warning, but with hurricanes you're pretty aware it's coming in your general direction at least a week before it hits, so you get time to prepare

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

brothers in apathy, unite

normally my job has to be on site but I managed to find poo poo to do remotely...but I have no idea how long I'll be able to do this. hell, work aside, how long should we all be holed up for?? what the gently caress is safe?

cdc's current recommendation is until the end of april. the end of may is probably more realistic, but we'll see how things work out.

and yeah, i have more work because of this, which i'm actually kind of happy for. i usually don't have a *ton* to do, so it's nice to feel productive most days (though today is not one of those days)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've noticed my tap water has developed a very noticeable chlorine smell over the past few weeks. wondering if that's a coincidence or not

pretty sure spring chlorination is very common, so just a coincidence

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

guy on my pool league had a couple of us over and made chili.

he cut up a top round roast and simmered it in the sauce. it was really loving good.

usually i'm a ground meat in chili guy when i cook it, but i'm gonna have to give it a spin of my own.

chili is a stew, and stews should not have quick-cooking meat in them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my union was about to go into arbitration for our contract becuase management wanted to significantly cut back on telework, and i'm *really* interested in seeing what happens coming out of all of this, especially with management making comments about how hard everyone is working

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mystes posted:

"Long term" here is like more than a year, or maybe more than 6 months on the short side, which is probably going to become a huge problem, but it's still extremely unlikely that people can get reinfected immediately after they've had it.
the eventual vaccine will get rolled into flu vaccines that not enough people get, and it'll stick around forever instead of getting eradicated, but not kill as many people

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we had an all-hands meeting today. i didn't expect anything bad, and nothing bad came of it. kind of the opposite, really. they didn't outright say, but heavily implied they'll be taking a conservative approach to bringing us back into the office, and that they've learned a lot about how people work remotely, so hopefully it means they'll stop trying to cut back on our telework like the union was fighting like a week prior to this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Imagine the Parks and Recreation characters dealing with this situation.
you won't have to imagine. they're doing a special on thursday.

echinopsis posted:

fuckin hated how they shat on jerry. like family guy with meg. it's such low cheap humour

parks and rec was kinda good but not really very funny, despite being a comedy.
they shat on him but also he was the only one who was able to separate work from real life, where he was happily married, working towards retirement, then was loved so much they made him eternal mayor. also he canonically has a huge dick

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

management was worried about how this was going to effect us but we just had one of the strongest quarters in the company's history. turns out all that absolutely critical travel our customers have been demanding wasn't so critical after all :thunk:

hello wwe employee

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Realized today that I am going to have to search for an apartment during this pandemic since my lease expires and I have no interest in renewing. That's probably going to be an exciting experience.

will they not let you go month to month?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rotor posted:

no i mean there wasn't an ad in the game, i just saw it somewhere

fwiw, ff7r is like the first disc of the original. it doesn't even get to the world map.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mystes posted:

I never played ff7 and don't have a ps4 but after all the stuff I heard about the remake I assumed it covered the whole original game and lol at the idea that they're splitting it up to milk it for everything it's worth.
i haven't finished it yet, but supposedly ff7r part 1 is 40ish hours if you do everything, which is not a whole lot shorter than ff7. regardless of getting the complete story, that's plenty of gameplay, and i haven't at all felt like any is filler, which i definitely can't say about the original

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Something lawful posted:

Are you lot working more or less now? I've dialed it down to a 2 but some of my megacorp breatherin are working weekends and stuff. Weird. :angel:
i'm doing more work, but that's because ~the situation of the world~ has given me more work to do. i am not "working" more hours, however, beyond one meeting i had to call in to on a day off that i got comp time for.

the city is stay at home until june 8 at the minimum, so we won't be back in the office until then, for sure, but who knows. management is Very Bad at letting us know things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

you'll be shocked to learn that basically the same thing already happened in florida like a month ago

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

parchment under the broiler seems not ideal?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graph posted:

lEFt shift shorted to E, right shift shorted to ExposE

lowercasE E is now capital E all thE timE

:thunk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we have still not been told about any plans on returning other than they're "working on it" and it will probably be in "phases"

the city is still stay at home until june 8 at the earliest, and the mayor has released a specific plan on how they intend to start reopening and has put together committees in all the business sectors and such, so it remains to be seen when we can even start thinking about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"google's motto is 'don't be evil' so they must be a good company" - echi, probably

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm pretty sure my last girlfriend wasn't aware of significant portions of our relationship with her constant mixing of booze, weed, and xanax.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i went down and protested yesterday, so i almost certainly have the rona. let's see how this plays out!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they just found asymptomatic carriers donít appear to transmit the disease since theyíre not coughing or sneezing

so unless u happen to have seasonal allergies and are positive yet asymptomatic you arenít likely to kill someone because u wanted loaded nachos

they walked this back like literally the next day lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we had a meeting this morning about returning. we're reopening starting monday (this had already been announced), but they are only allowing up to 10% of staff, and only those who have a specific need to be in the building. which means i will continue to be working from home indefinitely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

back in arkansas, there's this little tiny shithole bedroom town called Johnson. they were competing against Springdale (a fairly good sized town) for a new walmart office complex or distribution center or something

johnson offered a deal to walmart where WM would pay absolutely zero property taxes

the next week the Johnson police department (which was next door to our computer shop) had eight shiny new fully kitted out dodge charger squad cars
the Johnson police department had four officers

lmao
well yeah they are chrysler products, you need at least one parts car for when things start inevitably failing after a year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

in a lot of places in canada we have photo radar

they set it up, it takes a picture if you speed by, you get your ticket in the mail a few days later

you don't get points on your license because they don't verify who is actually driving but it's a lot less dangerous overall

we have these all over the place lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my covid test came back negative. yay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

mine too, that means I'm allowed to go to the dentist :smith:

mine was rescheduled to like september

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mine is 74 weight, apparently

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i haven't had any issues with my frs in the 7 years i've had it other than a recall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

at least we don't use ide drives anymore

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my grandfather sends my parents omaha steaks every year (which is now funnier since they live three blocks apart). they are never good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the reason the fried stuff is so good there is mainly just because they put $1700 of peanut oil in their fryers.

that poo poo's really good and lasts a long time, but it is also 20 dollars a gallon

i think they clean the gently caress out of them frequently, and keep everything separated, too. like they only fry fries in the fry fryer. regular chicken is in another fryer and spicy chicken is in yet another fryer.

but anyway they are not very good and popeyes and bojangles are vastly superior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i finally got a popeyes chicken sandwich a couple months ago. i didnt get one at release because i didnt want to be one of those assholes overworking the staff during the explosion

It's alright. i probably wouldn't pay $8.49 for it again. there are local joints that do much better ones at 12 bucks, might as well tier up. might get good fries then.

i finally got one when they came back. i was very unimpressed. i'll stick to spicy tenders there and go across town to a local black-owned spot if i want a chicken sandwich