Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

thanks to this thread i went and got popeye's. :yum:

pro tip though: always get the spicy one. it's the least spicy "spicy" thing on the planet. it has a faint aroma of hot sauce in the breading and that's it. those cinnamon hearts you get on valentine's day are hotter.

i definitely brought spicy chicken to a thing one time where children were present and it was too spicy for them. their parents need to raise them better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

USA is never going to recover from this is it

nope

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one of the things we already knew about coronaviruses is that they're fucky about immunity

in fact several strains of coronavirus are already considered part of the common cold pantheon of viruses or whatever - upper respiratory infections are a really wide umbrella after all
this is not really relevant to covid-19. we don't have a vaccine for colds, because, as you implied, there's many viruses that cause colds. as i'm sure you're aware (but others here may not be), a cold is a group of symptoms that are relatively minor in scale and cause basically no deaths or long-term issues. we don't have a cure for the cold because there's many viruses that cause them, and they're not really a big deal. coronaviruses are something like 20% of all colds.

no other coronaviruses have been a longterm issue in humans. sars-cov-1 (SARS) was a big deal at the time, but it showed symptoms WAY earlier than sars-cov-2 - basically as soon as contracting it, and we put adequate controls in place to tamp it down, so it ended up being a nonissue

as far as immunity goes, there's no reason to believe that's not achievable. we've developed vaccines for various coronaviruses for domestic animals, which suggests we can do it for humans, since we're not really biologically that different from other mammals.

ultimately, covid-19 is a problem because people can be carriers without any symptoms at all and pass it along. since trump has decided it's a democrat hoax, we never bothered to put any sort of testing or tracing requirements in place at a federal level and told all the states to figure it out, which brings us to today. the rest of the world will and has figured out how to manage it on multiple fronts, while we just flounder around like it's not actually a real thing because we have a government that only cares about the stock market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my office moves into "phase 2" on monday. as far as i know, this means i will still be working from home.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

i miss driving forklifts. it was the one good thing about working in a factory.

yeah i miss driving them at my last job. i much prefer working in air conditioning now though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also speaking of opiates god drat my bitchass dentist for not being able to dope me the gently caress up. thanks a lot boomers for not being able to handle you pills

i was all lookin forward to gettin ripped like my friends in hs who were born with wisdom teeth too

isn't the entire point of marrying a doctor that they can prescribe you all the drugs you want

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

landlord inspects every bathroom regularly to ensure all residents are at peak suffering

every inspection of my 3 story soulless brick apartment building is announced days ahead of time by law.

even if it wasn't, i would be *shocked* if they gave a poo poo since the inspections mostly consist of checking the AC filters and spraying smoke at the smoke detectors

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bidets don't need power wtf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

it's pretty provable that america is not on its deathbed because newt gingrich hasn't filed for divorce from it yet

:drat:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in louisiana after jindal buttfucked the state budget they were looking at a shutdown and couldn't get all the conservative legislators to agree to anything to prevent it

then they held a special session after LSU announced that the shutdown would obviously close campus and lead to the cancellation of the entire upcoming season of tigers football. they fixed the budget after that

they got coach o yelling at everyone in louisiana to wear a loving mask or they ain't getting football and it's not helping

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

we’re getting there, Walmart and Kroger and a couple of other major retailers have made masks required

course in China you don’t have the problem that if you kick someone out of the store they might come back and shoot you

yeah in china, if you kick someone out, you down rank their weibo account ruining their credit, getting them evicted and unable to buy any goods at all, and very possibly disappeared to be chained to an iphone factory for life

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i like hard seltzers. the ones that oskar blues makes are probably my favorites, though they are a bit more expensive than other brands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i looked up my state school's tuition and it's gone up almost 30% since i graduated. it's nearly $20k a semester for in state :(

is that just tuition or all-in? mine is $6400 for tuition for the year, which is more than i paid, but not a ton more. and that's a top-50 university. total they're saying $21k for a year.

their cost estimate suggests that "personal" spending is a nice $420 per year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeesh. i had a bunch of scholarships and left with like $3500 total debt, which i paid off quickly, thankfully

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I'm not sure vaccines and industrial chemical production are strictly speaking interchangeable infrastructure?

:ohdear:
converting a generic chemical plant into a vaccine plant would only be marginally cheaper than building a new vaccine plant, which is to say, the computer toucher has no clue what they're talking about

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

speaking of! i need some good work shoes. not too much like workboots, but somewhat rugged yet comfortable. don't want to do the nerdy IT white sneaker thing, nor do I want spiffy, shiny oxfords.

here u go

https://grantstoneshoes.com/collections/all/products/ottawa-boot-black-chromexcel

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what if you buy shoes and razors with your credit card and use the rewards to buy more shoes and razors

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the soylent guy was just way ahead of us

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i literally ordered pants on the internet today because i'm blowing out my last pair of jeans pretty hard in the scrote, and my cargo sweatpants have a very short fresh-to-funky time

time to add "darning jeans" to your post-apocalyptic skill set

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm probably getting a performance award (probably not a lot, but better than nothing) for my covid-related work which is p cool

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

c'mon tori, you lost this one

I love being alone because I'm an introvert like all goons. but I also love being with my wife like all goons

yeah i do love being with your wife

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i had a bill show up like six months late because the hospital input the insurance info wrong. then my insurance refused to cover it since i filed late until i appealed and explained what happened

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i took a walk and got overpriced coffee. might go buy a motorcycle helmet. polished a pair of shoes to sell. my office sent me a "certificate of appreciation" which i think is not the alleged bonus award that may be coming since the enclosed letter is as generic "hey thanks for doing your job!" as can be. guess i'll find out next week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

man i been wanting to get a new helmet myself. i like my old one and its fine i just want a white helmet with gold visor

i don't have a bike yet, but even for the tiny thing i'm probably getting, i need something. hopefully i can find something that's just a solid color or at least a simple design and not something that looks like it belongs on a can of an energy drink

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

good on you. you can get subdued stuff

this is my current one.

also you do not care about DOT certification, it means nothing, look for Snell certification. if it doesn't have that you do not buy it.
yeah, this isn't my first time around, i've just been off two wheels for several years. i'm probably getting a super cub to bop around town and probably commute on if i start going back into the office. i just got rid of all my gear awhile ago, i think, other than a pair of boots and maybe some gloves i have somewhere? but i definitely tossed the helmets before the last time i moved. i'm hoping the cycle gear store has some scorpion helmets in stock since those at least used to fit me well and were snell and ece certified.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i wish the 2019s weren't really limited because i'd rather buy used and rather have blue than red, but the few that pop up are barely a savings over just buying new after i account for having to rent a van to bring it back the several hours drive, plus the hassle of getting it registered in a pandemic. the dmv is only doing appointments and is backed up until january last i checked unless you can get lucky enough to find an appointment get canceled on a given day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

shoei seems to have a number of tasteful solid color helmets.

offhand, where were you planning to go shopping? i’m much farther out than you are from needing a helmet but still planning to get started in the next several months. i’ve seen cycle world in springfield and laurel and coleman in falls church, but there are probably some other shops i haven’t found yet.

i went to the laurel cycle gear, expecting them to have a better selection than coleman's, and as far as i could tell, that wasn't really the case. $500+ shoeis and sedicis with bluetooth and such or $100 TOTALLY DOT-CERTIFIED WE SWEAR beanies. they also didn't seem too keen to actually help me out beyond yelling at me to use some hand sanitizer as i entered, so i just left. i'll probably go to coleman's tomorrow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

that’s a lot of money to ride a bicycle

what the gently caress word filter do you have installed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i have never once regretted buying a $400 helmet and a $299 jacket and $199 pants and $299 boots and $199 gloves. buy the good protective gear, you only get one brain and two knees and so many vertebrae
yeah, i don't disagree, but i have a hard time believing a $250 snell/ece helmet protects worse than a $500+ snell/ece helmet. it seems like you really just get more features or lighter materials as you go up in price.

but of course, fit is the most important thing, and if the $500 helmet fits better, then sure. i guess i just need to be sure i'm getting the thing at all before i commit to that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my partner's job just told her their financial plan is for her to be a millionaire within 3 years. to say she is skeptical is an understatement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it's fun that both meanings of this are true

and

it was "fun" trying to find a super cub forum and finding a) the planes b) adv rider (ugh - though there's a good trip report of a guy doing 9000 miles round trip on one) and c) a general motorcycle forum thread where someone posts about it before launching saying it was neat and then every response being misogynistic and/or homophobic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

power botton posted:

I got tickets for the RATM and run the jewels tour that was postponed to next year.

I hope rage is still good.

i wanted to go to this, but it's at an arena and neither of them are anyone i want to see in the setting, plus i already saw rtj (with a zack de la rocha appearance!) at a club the night before trump's inauguration, and that was on fire show

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm off until tuesday (including today). feels good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

lol jokes on you, I have to go to work the entire time and no raise in sight whatsoever! love working in a dying industry.
try moving to the usa where pharmacies are definitely not dying and, in fact, are growing along with waistlines. lol imagine living in a country with healthy people lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

well, my plans to get a super cub are probably not happening now that honda is releasing the trail 125 in the us

also i'm moving next month which should be exciting during a pandemic. at least the house seems neat. it was built in 1877 as a tinsmith shop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the only one I've seen used locally was waaaaay more than $800

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not sure what I'd use a bike like that for since it's all pedal power access for me though.

I kinda want to buy a street bike but don't because I know I'd kill myself. That doesn't appear to be a street bike.

it's a street bike in so far as it's street legal. you probably don't want to take it on a highway, but it's cuter sibling can do 65 with a tail wind. these are probably geared a bit lower, so it'll likely accelerate a little faster, but have a lower top speed, but that's fine for bopping around the city or country backroads or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like it takes a M class license in PA anyway

Looking at a BMW G310 R or a F900R as a first bike, any opinions?

Help me not kill myself maybe

yeah, it requires an M class everywhere in the US, i'm pretty sure.

sagebrush is probably better to ask about first bikes but good god do not buy an f900r for a first bike. the g310r is certainly a better option.

The Fool posted:

take the msf course
and this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 310 is like $4K new, it's pocket change

thing is, I don't think there are bikes provided in PA. As far as I can tell I have to get the M learner permit and then I get to ride my own bike and either die or not.

Seems hosed and also very PA.
holy moly there's actually no msf courses in pa. that's ridiculous. drive down to wv and take it there. seriously. it may not waive the licensing test, but it'll at least get you to the point where you can ride a bike without dying before going to take the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

do the harley courses still use buell blasts or have those all finally exploded?