Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Xaris posted:

we're pretty much just going to slide into increasing worsening conditions into a children of men-esque failed liberal democracy that's held together by hot-melt glue equivalent of militarized police corpofascism and everyone is brow-beaten into submission trying to keep their heads down in a malaise daze

it would be better to have the rich cooked alive and eaten but well, not happening soon. status qup has a lot of wealth and power and ability to manufacture consent with spending only minimal effort to keep it going compared to changing it. check back in 4-8+ years

Xaris posted:

but we're there tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I hate leaf blowers more than anything else. Why are you using 5 leaf blowers for an hour every week in an empty and unused parking garage?? How is this essential? Go home you loving losers or buy a god dam broom jesus christ.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I had a weird persistent lower stomach warmth the next 12hrs-ish after eating those noodles that I've never had before, but they didn't enflame my rear end in a top hat on the way out; yes they were spicy but not like where you see a youtube of someone eating a shitfuck pepper and they are sweating and seeing through time, eyes looking like they got the backdraft of a Mace blast.

If you eat hot enough you can piss hot which I have experienced only twice.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ShadowHawk posted:

It might have just been that weird guy I knew

But, like, seriously, normal humans don't "feel foods in their stomach" right? Unless there's something seriously wrong like indigestion or "bloating", I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

Eat one of those novelty peppers on an empty stomach and report back.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DuckConference posted:

that doesn’t make me feel better about anything

I think that chuds having a conspiracy about something shouldn't cause us to reflexively reject the possibility that a milder version of it happened. I think accidental escape lines up pretty well the initial cover-up. I'd say... 12% chance it was escaped from a lab. About the same chance that the 2020 election gets cancelled or delayed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I promise you that everything will go back to normal, in the worst possible way.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

leaf blowers are an intensely annoying sound

dude across the alley will occasionally spend what seems like half the drat day wandering his roof and waving his leaf blower around. i've watched him do it and it's the most half-assed thing i've seen. he'll frequently blow poo poo onto places he's already blown clean. i'm half-convinced he thinks it hasn't been a productive day if he hasn't made a bunch of noise.

A group of my neighbors use them to clean their cars out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My car is overflowing with dead leaves .

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I will not rest until this illegal game is brought to justice.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Now we know the real reason cocaine mitch has been stacking the courts. No doubt if we investigated he would own stock in square enix.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How many times do I have to explain it to you?? We use containers, so no, I can't tell you which server has the bad memory module, and in fact that's a stupid question in the first place because it's a serverless application, so we don't care which one it is, you just need to fix it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Midjack posted:

i’ve been toying with giving myself a mohawk because it’s another two months at the earliest before i have to be seen at work, but the prospect of scalp sunburn is a pretty solid negative. also i have a flat spot on my head from a chicken pox sore under my hair that got way out of hand and required surgical intervention and that’s gonna look gnarly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5URU-Py2Q

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I shave my head every day and it suits my needs

u guys should try it bald is beautiful

More like Fat, 32, shaver.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They probably taste absolutely wretched but I'm a big fan of the experimentation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah plus its not a competition. Those comparisons are mostly helpful in getting people to understand how bad something might be, but anyone who'll ever be convinced already is.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

:rolleyes:

it's good for mental health to have some small amount of human interaction, even if it's just at the cash register while you're both wearing masks.

incidentally san francisco has a simple county-wide ordinance that you cannot be served at any business establishment if you aren't wearing a mask, full stop. seems 2 work pretty well.

I don't think anyone is disputing the mental health benefits of social interaction. Instead they're pointing out the physical health benefits to ourselves and other of staying indoors during the pandemic. Not everyone has what it takes to stay in a tiny apartment for months at a time, and no shame to those that can't handle it, but we should all try our best, right?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here in Virginia I no longer see masks except for my monthly grocery delivery where the drivers have had them each time. I don't know what the situation is like at stores because the last time I was in one was March 5th. I haven't seen another human in person, except from my balcony and grocery deliveries, since a dentist appointment I had the first week of March.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Midjack posted:

too dumb to survive.

Sadly they will go out and infect working class comrades who must be at their retail posts and restaurants. The sad reality is that staying indoors and being strict and pious about quarantine makes no loving difference because the dumbest among us can do exponentially more harm than what we mitigate as individuals.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

well we don't have any of those things. and we're reopening gradually anyway. hell of a lot better than trump, but no matter how science-based newsom tries to be, it is clear that californians aren't going to tolerate this lockdown poo poo for much longer

If it comes down to it and the US goes full speed ahead with reopening then at that point it's a competition between you and the people around you to not get sick. If 80% of people have to get infected before this is over then you will find me being more cautious than the 80%. I will leave my apartment with the last 20%, and I'm going to twist my family's arms into joining me in that cohort.

I have all the food, drugs, entertainment, and space that I need in my apartment. I can work out in my one bedroom, I can sit on the balcony for sun, I can use the internet, watch TV, read books. If I call this a hard existence then I'm a loving baby and I wouldn't be able to live with myself for being that weak.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ya i'm in the same boat. i'll be staying inside no matter how tired i am of it. but if you and i, in such privileged situations, are already feeling pangs of "gently caress this poo poo i'm going to the beach"... imagine how the rest of Normal Society that doesn't live on their computers is feeling? i expect things to get a lot worse before they get better, and by that point we'll have lost the initial panic and with it the public mandate to enforce social distancing and mask wearing and other safety measures that americans normally wouldn't put up with

Yeah absolutely. I guess the way I see it for myself is that I have to acknowledge my privileged by staying indoors and being as strict as possible about the quarantine. In my opinion the worst thing that I can do is go on an optional trip that endangers the people that actually are required to be out and about, and based on that I'm trying to push the envelope in defining what is optional vs what's required. I'm also pushing other people to do that because I can plainly see that everyone is letting their guard down at the same time that the actual risk of getting covid is at an all time high.

carry on then posted:

oh gently caress off

Keep in mind that we all want to resume our activities in a safe way. The more people that stay indoors, and the longer they push to stay indoors, the sooner that can happen. All these people letting their guard down, going to parties, beaches etc are ultimately delaying us by months when the 2nd wave hits. The best case, but impossible, scenario was that 100% of the population was perfectly quarantined for 3 weeks, and the virus would become extinct. Everything less than that has been a compromise based first on economic necessity and then later recklessness.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's almost as if people who do mass shootings are mentally ill and what they're doing doesn't make any sense at all :thunk:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The people rationally appraising public policy and coming to logical conclusions based on history, philosophy, and science don't seem to promote or engage in irrational violence :thunk:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you want to take direct action that will make a difference then start phone banking or canvassing. It's not sexy and it won't make you a martyr, but it actually works(!) and you won't get banned.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i forget who i saw tweet this so apologies to whoever i'm stealing it from but, here's one big indictment of billionaires: where the hell are they during covid-19? national hero status up for grabs, and they all just gently caress off to their yachts? elon musk and a dozen boxes of cpap machines is really the best that the entire billionaire class has to offer? not one of them gives enough of a poo poo?

Look, they dismantled all of our social safety nets, what more do you want??

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Stereotype posted:

The big defense of billionaires at the moment is that they don't actually have billions of dollars in cash, it is all in stocks, so they really just have normal amounts of money along with control over some giant corporation. This somehow means that they are powerless to help anyone in any way. Never underestimate the enthusiastic willingness of poor people to defend the rich.

They have control over the largest companies in world how could they possibly be powerless to help? They seem to have unlimited ability to harm our social safety nets and create poverty, but somehow that power can't be used to help anyone. It's disgusting. Anyone who believes what you posted would have to come instantly to the conclusion that our system is poisonously broken and must be completely ripped out and replaced.

I know that you're not taking that position yourself so don't get me wrong. I know you're right that some people do make that claim though and it makes my blood boil.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I mean it's basically a given that being a billionaire requires a cognitive disorder where you're incapable of empathy, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised they aren't doing poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qirex posted:

the best disney song is zip-a-dee-doo-dah since it's the theme to an insanely racist movie and based on a number of antebellum south folk songs for that extra level of racism
I prefer zip-a-dip-zip-a-doo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Roosevelt posted:

you should all still have enough of your $1200 Trump Rewards cash to get by for several more weeks

lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can't really abolish the police because sometimes a murder does need to be investigated, but that is such a vanishingly small part of what the police do, most of which is unnecessary harassment that doesn't make us any safer, that you can totally defund the police to the tune of like 90% and america will only get better as a result

The police murder 1000 people a year, how many do their murder investigations prevent?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rotor posted:

you call yourself an engineer? where's your loving oilcan, poser

I would just pull out the can of 3-in-1 I keep under my $350 keyboard.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Look up the NIKE airora therma-fit tracksuit hoodie and trousers - been heavily discounted in the past and it's my favourite loungingwear; when I get back from the gym, grab a shower and then this goes on to keep the warm in. 💯 recommended (plus the logos are all glow-in-the-dark)

This got me to check out whats new at Nike:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Looking around the planet in 2023:

"If someone says something bad is happening that's suspicious".