Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lancemantis posted:

why wonít congress let us divert water from Alaska :qq:

let me just melt some more glaciers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it would absolutely be worthwhile to stay at home as long as you can, there will be a second wave of infections when the stay at home orders start getting lifted

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

so basically every restaurant and bar is just gonna go out of business right

couple of place near me are doing banging takeout business, but who knows if it's enough to keep them going long term

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

it's from Alien. come the gently caress on dude

nah man, thatís obviously Connery so it has to be outland

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sa has been a part of my daily life in one form or another for nearly 2 decades and typing that out makes me want to self harm

not really, real self harm is not a joke, stay safe goons

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my children ran into the pine forest for frolicking fun about 3 hours ago Iím wondering if I should go out there or continue working on this work spreadsheet

theyíre in the oven op

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

lol

i've been trying to figure out if i can engage in such shenanigans via teams but i don't think i can

OBS virtual camera

if you canít do a uniform background for a chromakey yourself, check out https://www.chromacam.me/

I spent all of my calls yesterday on the iss

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I decided I don't give a poo poo about my kids preschool packets and after I get a little bit of work done we're going sledding

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

most of the marvel movies are not good, but entertaining

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

i have to get fully dressed, albeit not in my usual work clothes. jeans, t-shirt, flannel, shoes--everything--when working from home or i don't feel right. having a brokebrain is cool actually

Yeah, I'm showered and fully dressed by 6 am. If I don't my whole day is messed up and I feel like garbage.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

curious because we donít have amazon here but is it like sweatshops how itís like everyone knows the workers are as close to slave labour as you can get legally but itís cheap so everyone also just looks the other way and buys in deep regardless

yes, that's exactly it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

does that mean I can stop my daisy chained virtual camera shenanigans

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

my daughter just turned three and i've done about 2 days worth of work since wfh started a month ago

I have a 4 year-old and the only way I get any work done is by waking up at 5 am, then I get about 2 hours before he's up.

After that, work is lucky if I answer calls

e: my productivity level has gone up since working from home

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lancemantis posted:

So yes, no more safe or dangerous

Itís all rose colored glasses and apocrypha

Like Iím sure people would look through rose colored guess about my lovely village and us all roaming wild, but any fondness for that is:

- conveniently forgetting the enabling of child neglect by taking advantage of our remoteness
- very poor monitoring and enforcement of property crime
- forgetting all the statutory rape and 40 year old townies loving 13 year olds and giving them
STDs
- suicides
- rampant teen death from alcohol abuse

and events like the town drunk getting hammered, shooting a gun in the air outside the school (which is k-12 in one building) and everyone going "oh that's just billy-ray"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

as I remember things there were always degrees of alchoholics

everyone drank, but

some people drank after work
some drank during work
and some just drank

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i don't remember my home town having a vagrant problem

between hud and church housing, I think anyone that needed a roof could get one

there were occasionally problems with people coming in from the river, but they always went back out after a couple days

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this conversation reminded me

enjoy this map of households without running water

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/08/plumbing-poverty-water-access-insecurity-race-class-map/595390/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

too true, stop, it hurts

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought we were there in all but name anyway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also actual wfh question, is there any decent generic webcam background software? the snap camera one is a bit poo poo and our vid conferences are all webex based which doesn't support it natively

Iím using obs plus chromacam.me with teams and it works fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

detachable peeeee nis

literally the first mp3 i ever downloaded from napster

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lancemantis posted:

I'm thinking we're just going to end up with another annual flu shot but its corona shot

this is basically the best case scenario imo

e: in other news, the only meeting I had scheduled today was canceled so lets see if I can get away with doing no work today

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

htf do you get 2 hours of content in teams training

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hosed off from work right after lunch and down to my garage to tune up my familyís bicycles. Now Iím sitting in my camp chair drinking beer and watching my kid ride his bike around the parking lot.

Coronavirus is turning me into a redneck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

now weíre throwing rocks at the snow piles

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

but moooom he always gets sticky stuff all over them

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

like the lady in bed with the covers pulled up had any clothes on at all

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I bought factorio ages ago because on paper it seems right up my ally, but I kept bouncing off of it every time I played.

Until quarantine. Tried it again late last week and I've really dug into it this time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Iím ready for this good omens sequel to be over

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

for the record, i think the total list of valid causes is

- academic dishonesty like plagiarism or falsifying data
- breaking the law in an obvious way
- violation of ethical guidelines (sex with students) (maybe, if it was "consensual" you'll probably just get a mandatory sabbatical)
- just outright stop coming to class (though they would probably "put you on unpaid leave" forever)
- student enrollment decreased to the point where they can't meet your contract (all the more junior faculty would have to be fired first)
- department/college/university is disestablished (see above note, and they'd probably punt you to some other job if possible)

how about, ďstate budget is a disaster and the board of regent declares a state of emergencyĒ

because that almost happened here

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

with enemies you know where they stand! with neutrals..

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I took an afternoon nap today

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the official announcement hasn't happened yet, but the rumor mill at my work is saying we're doing wfh until at least august.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ok boomer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lawns are bad, but 3 hours outdoors is good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

quote:

In fairy tales, the king is the king. If he dethrones, his bones clatter into a heap and vanish.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a bad taste from running ubnt gear for clients and then having a bunch of issues with it

itís likely that the consumer mesh product is fine

Iím running the google wifi mesh in my apartment

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

this is a powerful tip

except use parchment paper instead of foil

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jalepeno spa water is what comes out of my rear end after eating at Taco Bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU