Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i work a service desk and apparently I'm considered "essential" so I'm still here

but I also have unlimited PTO so hmmm :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kind Friend posted:

this whole experience is teaching me that i dont handle uncertainty well.

loving sucks, yeah

finally (after waiting 4 hours) my boss got back to me and there will be poo poo i can do remotely. was kind of hoping i could use pto a little longer lol, oh well. but having a definite plan is good.

now the real question will be for how long i'm doing this. who knows!!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

i'm rocking teams, email, and two RDSes.

we've had teams for ages, but me and maybe two other people ever bothered to get acquainted with it, so a bunch of coworkers have been essentially incommunicado due to their incompetence and willful ignorance.

what the gently caress did we say about signing posts

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

it still blows my loving mind that everybody hasn't normalized on slack and zoom. imagining these hellcompanies full of blue-shirt work-lanyard-still-on-at-the-Chili's-lunch-break managers, ugh

(motorola was like that so i Know)

there's a shitload of big, old, gross companies full of big, old, gross software and big, old, gross management.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

got my work laptop on a stand next to my monitor for some barely-adequate dual monitor action. seriously get a laptop stand if you can, raising your laptop screen up to eye-level is a huge improvement, and makes it easier to use an external kb/mouse

but i've got no actual work to do yet so the laptop is just off to the side with email and skype up, monitor is set to my own desktop. getting paid to browse the web, in some ways it's like i never left the office!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

the police have closed the beach near us, it was entirely empty all day long, maybe 10 people walking on a 2kmx100m stretch. Seems pretty nuts to me but maybe it was a big transmission vector? idk how sustainable the lockdown is going to be if safe activities aren't allowed to continue

there's gonna be a lot of stupidity with lockdowns and quarantines

some state (PA i think?) closed all the interstate rest stops, even the parking lots. but truckers gotta keep on trucking so ???

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat there are no cheap headsets for sale like anywhere right now, I ended up getting gouged on some mid range plantronics thing as it was that, an insanely expensive ~*~executive*~ jabra deck thing or a ridiculous game headset

i could have been convinced by the razer header with integral cat ears if work were paying though :catstare:

I got curious and webcams are sold the gently caress out, too

plenty of gaming oriented headsets if you really need something, i guess

PIZZA.BAT posted:

afaik the LA ports still haven't opened and at this point probably won't even if China starts shipping us stuff again. you're probably looking at a legit supply crunch here

man we are going to get hilariously hosed over by a combination of JIT bullshit and moving so much manufacturing overseas

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope if we take away any lesson

lol

:(

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

c-wfh-s: actually have work to do from home this week, but hoo-boy am i not feeling particularly motivated at the moment.

MA governor announced all non-essential business must close by noon tomorrow, lasting until 4/7. the list of what is considered essential though is quite broad. and despite the fact that this has no effect on grocery stores, I fully expect them to be an absolute clusterfuck the next couple days because people are dumb

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

almost as if the american way of life is deeply, fundamentally unhealthy.

Stereotype posted:

I've been complaining for like a decade that there are millions and millions of people doing stupid bullshit work that literally only makes other people's lives worse and harder for absolutely no gain at all.

always been a fan of this buckminster fuller quote

quote:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.

it ain't perfect ("go back to school" is awful narrow, expand that to "pursue hobbies, passions, art", something like that) but the overall sentiment is right

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

my grocery store is pretty much back to full stock except for a few random things

and all the toilet paper

seems to be mostly the same here in MA, mind you i'm not going to tons of stores or anything for obvious reasons so sample size is limited here

but i really want to get some cleaning/sanitizing supplies and everything everywhere online is sold the gently caress out and/or companies' inventory systems are shot to hell, so i'm probably gonna end up going to tons of stores this weekend to find stuff in stock. very frustrating.

whenever we get through this poo poo i'm gonna end up coming out the other end as a prepper nutbag

holy poo poo that's a rough chuckle

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

but i really want to get some cleaning/sanitizing supplies and everything everywhere online is sold the gently caress out and/or companies' inventory systems are shot to hell, so i'm probably gonna end up going to tons of stores this weekend to find stuff in stock. very frustrating.

greatly increased my chance of exposure and went to 7 stores today

nothing. cool.

shouldn't have gone in the afternoon probably, maybe i'll get my rear end up early tomorrow and try again if i'm not too hungover

echinopsis posted:

I'm getting more and more terrified about going into work. It was a revelation, and fuckin stupid that it was, that I have to act as if everyone has the rona. this utterly changes how I do everything. I've got a couple hundred flu vaccines to give, bit hard to practise social distancing when you gotta touch people. apparently theres a way it can be done without touching the person, as in, just jab it in them and walk away, but I need to use a process that involves palpating some parts of their arm so I can be confident in where I give it.

christ. how are you for ppe?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

probably sufficient for my needs but it’s also a whole new set of habits which is taking a little bit of time

like I have these perspex face masks that spray painters use, they’re great but also intimidating, and that’s the weird bridge to cross ya know, we’re still a business that needs people to want to visit

yeah there's gonna be some adjustments to cultural norms for sure. saw a number of people wearing masks today, i'll probably be wearing them too soon enough (assuming i can get something not completely crap in a timely fashion). not n95, all those need to go straight to hospitals and such. but it seems that everyone wearing even reusable fabric masks is not a bad idea. who cares if it isn't 100% effective, it's still better than nothing and anything that can help is good.

don't let discomfort like that prevent you from keeping yourself safe

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

current wfh status: in final negotiations to retrieve my office chair. apparently I have to remove my shoes and use the disgusting foot wash before entering the building.

...can you not do something like just drive to the building, call someone inside to wheel the chair to the door, and take it from there? :confused:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh uh covid quarantine status: did a zoom session with a bunch of friends, streamed some Jackbox games

if ya'll aren't already doing something like this, loving get on that. talk to people, maintain your sanity as best you can

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Hed posted:

did a practice session with the jack box host, so am I really supposed to recommend friends get headphones for their sound? it seems like really the best way to do it. any tips would be appreciated.

that's what I thought but I was the only one with a headset. one of my friends had a Bluetooth speakerphone thing, the rest just used the built in mic and speakers on their laptops. no issues, worked fine! we used zoom, worked very well, no major latency issues either.

the one thing which can get a little fucky is audio for the host. you've got to turn your system volume up enough so everyone else can hear the game, but that was way too loud for me. luckily my cheap rear end no-name chinese headset has an in-line volume control so with a little finessing of that and the windows volume mixer thing I was able to find a happy medium.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

raise your hand if you absolutely cannot give a single gently caress about work

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

brothers in apathy, unite

normally my job has to be on site but I managed to find poo poo to do remotely...but I have no idea how long I'll be able to do this. hell, work aside, how long should we all be holed up for?? what the gently caress is safe?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've definitely had a few days lately where i've found myself with less of an appetite

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the start of all the COVID related commercials and marketing was expected but still unpleasant

lots of dancing around the issue. "in these uncertain times" etc

barf

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

outlook not so good

buddy, have you ever tried lotus notes? phew what a stinker.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hose water in the summer is clearly the best

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Scud Hansen posted:

I have finished the 35 pack of Costco hot dogs.

important qualifier: in one sitting?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MA extended stay at home advisory to 5/4

this is going to be the longest month in my loving life. wouldn't be surprised if it turns into 2 months and even if they open things back up at that point i still might keep myself holed up

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

basically leaving everything up to each individual state is going to lead to some profoundly ugly poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

that seems a little extreme

wonder how many people were canned

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i started this week with slightly more motivation to work but that has since pretty much evaporated

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

These Deep Frakes videos are getting uncanny.

beep!

...hey wait a minute

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

tk posted:

I needed a new computer so I could play Doom Eternal in between meetings. Couldn’t get my hands on any cases I like so this is what I did today:

lol

wonder if a PCIe cable that long is gonna cause any issues

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

*valley girl voice*

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:golfclap:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've posted about it before but my friend had a wrestling themed wedding, whole ceremony was carried out in a wrestling ring complete with a match. the groomsmen were all in costume, it was a hoot

he even managed to hire the late (as of yesterday...) howard finkel. howard was kind of a mess and possibly slightly hosed up on painkillers, but whatever poo poo was still awesome.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

a couple friends were going to go on a cruise the last week or thereabouts and were given the choice between full refund or 125% credit

they took the credit :pwn: hope there's a vaccine ready by next year!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

apparently I have the 1500$ aeron at work

also apparently it’s 1500$

lol

at first i thought you must have meant the embody cuz that starts at over a grand. but then i looked it up and yeah apparently you can configure an aeron to cost that much, depending on the finish and accessories. yeesh.

aeron is overrated imo (though im not a fan of mesh seats to begin with), it's still running off the popularity it gained during the first dot com bubble.

my chair is getting old and i really want to check out a steelcase gesture, not cheap but looks amazing. high on my list of things to do whenever the hell businesses can start opening, no way i'd buy something like that without putting my rear end in it first

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

if your chair doesnt have adjustable armrests its crap

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Gnossiennes posted:

best task chair i've used so far has been a humanscale freedom task, without the extended headrest. i've had mine for about five years, and it even went through a fire (and might possibly not be there original chair i got pre-fire) and while i can't adjust the height anymore, it's still my favorite chair.

aeron's are alright, and i'm grateful that they really brought loose, easy movement into the forefront of task chair ergonomics (the best posture is your next one!!!!!), but i think the tension settings are kinda wack, not enough gradation between immobile and falling out the back of the chair. plus i'm a short sad man and even the normal size is a bit big for me

i've only briefly tried an embody task chair. it's a bit tall, but felt alright for the five minutes i used it. i've wanted to try the steelcase gesture & silq, but haven't been following furniture much for years, so not much reason to seek them out.

nice avatar/post combo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the best use of a leafblower is to clean out your gutters. seriously, it works incredibly well, basic electric ones work fine and they even come with attachments to make it easier

gently caress you if you are like my neighbor who spends hours leafblowing his driveway even when there aren't any leaves. like "oh my god there's DIRT in the DRIVEWAY this is unacceptable!!". use a goddamn pushbroom or something if it bothers you that much.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is quite satisfied with me wfh

he had some bad skin problems over the last couple weeks but a trip to the vet and some meds did the trick

needs a gd haircut tho

post a pic of the shaggy tater

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is not making the photo thing easy rn so heres a really lovely phone pic from last week

that's good enough! wanna scritch them ears

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

baker released plans for "reopening" massachusetts. an awful lot is staying the same, some of it is ok, some of it is very dumb. like hair salons and barbers can reopen. the guidelines for doing so are basically use hospital levels of PPE and change out everything between customers...but loving lol if anyone's gonna actually do that 100%.

the bulk of the country seems to be moving towards ill-advised premature and sloppy reopening so yeah, i'm still staying holed up and letting my hair grow out a while longer (i'd buzz cut it or something right now but i've never let it grow before so hey let's experiment! results so far: this sucks lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've always been a fan of "east jesus" or "east overshoe"