Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

late but i mean, this is normal af

ive relocated multiple times for companies and for me its usually been a raise, due to moving to a more expensive area?

if you leave the bay (most expensive cost of living possible practically) and go to your family ranch in Muncie, Indiana, yes, that's gonna be a fuckin pay cut lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PokeJoe posted:

but why? the only justification is that your cost of living is lower. you're making the company the same level of profit. the only person who benefits is the company at your expense. "That's just how it is lol why would you expect less" is some bullshit defeatist justification of getting ripped off. Just because it's happened to you a few times doesn't mean it's good or acceptable

it's the other way around

they pay premiums to attact talent into their home offices in very expensive cities, and when they operate in multiple cities, these have different premiums attached to successfully keep talent in those higher cost places

when you leave the expensive place, your expensive place stipend also goes away

its not a pay cut at all, the tweet just phrased it that way - its people leaving The Bay Area, which is notoriously mega expensive and impossible to keep talent in

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

im not like Capitalism Defender 2000 here or anything i'm just calling out that it's in no way pay cuts for the poor tech workers, boo hoo

its bay area spoiled rear end people getting their Bay Area Bonus cut back when they willfully leave the place that led to that compensation adjustment

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

rotor annoys me but he is 100% right when he says that being able to channel excess VC money into his pocket helps us all.

that i can agree with 100%

all i was saying is that the language misrepresented the reality of how that CoL comp adjustment poo poo works, it's not a punishment it's a revocation of a bonus issued solely To Be In A Certain, Expensive Place

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

there's plenty of places to fight for better compensation and benefits but trying to eliminate the cost of living adjustment to come into super expensive cities is a weird place to do it

i guess im just used to it after decades of it being the normal thing that happens constantly idk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

i guess i am defending this only because in my experience i keep going to more expensive cities, and as such, my pay goes up a bit to help match, and it feels natural to get a little boost of pay when im in a more expensive place

and by logic the reverse would just simply be true ??? idk im just talkin it out

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

i have never actually encountered a "obesity is totally healthy, actually" person in real life and i'm increasingly convinced that they are mostly just a fiction created by angry redditors.

i knew one who was pushing around the 400lbs club and would heave trying to go up the steps to get on a bus, but when the topic came up was absolutely convinced he could be in shape to hike everest if you gave him a months notice

like, uhhuh

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

we are all so hosed

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

time to go

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Roosevelt posted:

just driving into certain doom, no big deal

i just drove from denver to seattle via the north route

it was beautiful, back then, in august...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

i've been WFH since october 2016 lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

im literally Making Money Online

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

i moved to the pnw

so far so good

except the smoke

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought commercial leases included utilities

and are multi-year so they're just paying for unused office. it's driving my boss absolutely bananas

lmfao have you never heard of triple net

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

I finally got an iPad. Seems nice for reading PDFs and couch posting.

modern ipads are so great

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

It was the 10.2" September 2019 iPad and it was $269 at Costco. That's insanely cheap for what I'm going to just use as a PDF reader that'll last forever.

yeah its dope

its just like star trek tng pad things when i was a kid exactly what i daydreamed about maybe some day being real life things while riding to school on the bus in the morning

except now its 2020 and i dont think i can truly feel joy anymore but either way its rad

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

"sleepy joe will get the job done" -the combined news

narrator voice: "he did not get the job done"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

just think about how many people now that they wont be protecting and serving

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

i have a 100lbs pitbull that waits until i wake up before he scootches up in bed to smear my face in kisses and gruntles

it's pretty funny how some people can ignore what a living creature tells them under the guise of "speak english, this is america" or whatver

e: relevant image

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Blinkz0rz posted:

i don't have a dog and don't really want one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PokeJoe posted:

my cat follows me around too. if me and the gf are in a room without him, he will come find us pretty quickly if he isn't asleep so he can hang out.

there might always be surprise ham

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

hi what's up itt

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Stereotype posted:

of course literally every single media outlet in the united states along with every prominent health expert has been repeating it ad nauseum

it's christmas time baby

time for holidays and makin moneyyyyyyy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Even before covid I would avoid the party type events because people are disgusting. I don't know how you manage everyone grabbing at food now. I see people still grabbing the samples at costco like there isn't a pandemic going on.

i hate costco samples because costco shopping carts are huge and any time there's "Good samples" they block the entire aisle from shopping

i've seen people block aisles with their carts when the sample person said it'd be like 15 minutes

who on earth has 15 minutes to blow while inconveniencing others for 1 bite of a firsh stick or w/e

i swear to god its the trashiest thing and i feel embarrassed by proxy to witness it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PokeJoe posted:

something about stuff being "free" really fucks with a lot of people

Ask Me About the time i put up some specific, hard to find furnace filters on nextdoor for free ONLY for if they'd fit your furnace, and got a dozen inquiries within hours from people who couldn't possibly use them until the first request that actually had a furnace that fit them.

Just jaw dropping. It's like that hoarders show on TV or something. No intent or even capability to use them, just trying to be first. Me first me first me first!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

FMguru posted:

the same thing happened at the Very Fancy university i went to when snapple became big and they set up a tent in front of the student center and handed out free samples. people whose parent bought them brand new bmws for graduation presents stood in the cold for twenty minutes in order to score a mini-dixie cup with an inch of watery iced tea in it. it was the damnedest thing

dang at least red bull gave out full cans during their marketing blitz

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah same. like i'll obviously grab one as i'm going by cause why not, but it always really confused me that people will push and wait and clog things up to taste whatever frozen put-it-in-the-oven thing they're hawking

I think the part of their brain that usually tells them "people are seeing and judging you" turns straight the gently caress off when they get into costco

like it's a special place For Them or something and the rules stop applying. it blows my mind

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

i get like half the household poo poo i need at costco it's good and they don't sell garbage

and their return policy is very good still

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The_Franz posted:

I bought my tires there 6 years ago, went back a few days ago because one developed a slow leak (corrosion around the rim) and they fixed it for free. there is no reason to buy tires from anywhere else

like every time costco comes up and one good thing gets posted the entire thread is gonna derail into a million accounts of how good something there is

i was gonna say the battery warranty and prices were really good too, but here we go, every part of that business has been calculated and refined to exceed market standards and customer expectations and they succeed at it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

im gonna go to costco in a bit here and ill take some pictures of some of the cool costco stuff that they have

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Video Nasty posted:

This would be great. I've never been inside a CostCo.

Ooh you're in for a Kirkland Signature Treat.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

It's time!

So first things first, when you arrive at costco, you need to get gas. Why at costco? Where else are you going to get gas at, genius? 76? Chevron? Shell? All those places sell gas that pollute the environment, way to go smart guy. I choose to get mine at Costco instead because I care about things like that.

Ok now that we've got gas we can move along to the store itself. Time to make the trek from the parkng lot into the store.

Cool we made it inside! Time to check out some of the great merchandise! First thing when you walk in you'll see some of the current special promotional items which are always hot sellers. Let's see what we've got up first:

Item #4413025 - Ninja Foodi 9-in-1 Digital Air-Fry Oven - $139.99

Item #2473236 - Cuisinart Digital Toaster Oven w/ Air Fry Settings - $159.99

Neat! Ok let's check out some of the rest of this huge, giant store! Let's check out some aisle endcaps - also a great spot to find great steals!

Item #2234400 - Oster French Door Toaster Oven With Air Fry - $149.99

Item #5232432 - Gourmia 7QT Air Fryer - $39.99

Cool bargain price on that one! Let's take a turn into the aisle and see what awaits us!

Item #3388088 - Ninja Foodi 10QT Air Fryer Dual Zone Technology - $119.99

Item #2443715 - Sur La Table 13QT Air Fryer w/ Rotisserie Basket - $119.99

Wow! Like I was telling you guys, this place is just incredible. I'd suggest you stop in yourself and check out what your local Costco has in-store!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

AnimeIsTrash posted:

which one did you buy OP?

I already have two.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mystes posted:

Maybe the internet had broken my brain but I can't tell whether this is meant seriously or ironically

Ironically. It's a satire about the fart-huffing nature of costco and the underlying needless excess consumerism such where one store has 6 differently branded but otherwise near loving identical fad cooking gadgets because capitalism.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

i still have to deal with and get upset when a couple bananas rot.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

the muffins are sold in 2x mix-and-match 6-packs and yes it is Too Much cuz they are huge.

i wish i could pay 2/3rds the price for just a half dozen instead of the full dozen

it's one of my few actually legitimate complaints about the product volume sizing at costco, since they really aren't THAT-THAT bulk. Like they have candy bar packs to fill a vending machine with sure, but business is also a customer base of theirs. but a 12 pack of kleenex boxes? I guess that comes down to having a closet space to put paper goods in, but its not like a giant office sized carton, its just like 8 or 12 boxes, which is like most of the stuff, right-sized for a typical small to medium household with 2-3 people and a couple pets

the muffins are too many!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kazinsal posted:

no no, thatís the $120 executive membership option

which comes with a 2% cash back entirely separate from the credit card cash rewards which are on top

im 2/3rds the way thru my renew cycle and already met my yearly renewal cost.

I recall hearing the membership was intended to be free if you used it a normal amount, and like i said pages back, i get most of my household/paper goods/toiletries/bottled drinks there

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

whats a credit card tho

you can get a combo membership + credit card that has all-in-all "Good Rates" on it, or just a plain membership card

the plain membership card lets you in the store and you get 1 or 2% back of your purchases towards renewal, so it ends up free if you use it even semi regularly

the combo one does the same as above but is also a Visa and you get a pretty decent spread of cash back rewards and i see an absolute fuckload of people using them as their daily purchase CC out and about both here and in denver

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a convenient tool that you use to collect Literally Free Money on purchases that you pay off every month

but you have to be wealthy enough to not be gated under Having Bad Credit to get one!

if you do meet that bar tho, here's you're free additional money

i usually use the amex blue cash preferred most of the time, or my costco citi visa if im getting gas since it has better points there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

shouldnt you get the gas after youre done buying poo poo to get the cents off points or w/e

it doesn't matter at costco the gas prices are usually 30-40 cents cheaper than anywhere else around and for members only, and then you get like 4%+2% back on that as well. there's no point redemption involved.