Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

told to wfh indefinitely late last week. daily standups and other meetings have been interesting - people wearing hoodies and tshirts with bed hair, even a director ha

a guy on my team was shocked to learn that his 4 megabit/sec DSL was insufficient for anything but the most basic tasks over the company vpn. rdp'ing into a server didnt even work properly. he has been some flavor of computer toucher for like 30 years. he's a nice guy though

Speaking of the vpn, we are lucky we had a really really bad cold snap here last year which showed the infrastructure team that it was not ready for a mass wfh situation, so they spent the last year making improvments to it which are now paying off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Corla Plankun posted:

i juuust started my job when wfh started and i have no idea what im doing or should be doing and it is really upsetting

i wish i was the type of person that could just coast if they dont have any responsibilities but instead i am become anxiety factory

gonna talk to my boss about it this afternoon

refleks posted:

ive encouraged my colleagues to spend some time on self-improvment. read some books, take an online course. Things that arent normally possible in a regular work-day because dumbasses keep walking up to you in your open office space and disturb you.

do that.

I agree - what are the required skills for your job? Are you top notch in all of them? Are they ones that you can take an online course for? A lot of places like Udemy, Coursera, Lynda, etc. are having sales right now because people are at home.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

TerminalRaptor posted:

graph is in the same area as me. When I looked a couple years ago there was nada.

Herman Miller does an annual sale around this time for 15% off. It's still freakishly expensive though

madisonseating.com

they are used or frankensteined from the working parts of otherwise broken chairs or something. the chair i bought from them a few years ago is still going strong

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

qirex posted:

after 4 weeks of quarantine I finally have my home workstation set up how I like

I also work and post from inside your mother

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

its friday. probably gonna blow off the things i said was gonna do in the morning stand up. coronavirus.

now playing dude ranch by blink

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Ha this owns. I don't like Babymetal but I really dislike elitist metal fans.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

freeasinbeer posted:

now that I can be remote forever where should I live? would love to be on water or near it, and I guess cities are kinda out of the picture.

also preemptively let me say not Pittsburgh, or Cleveland. if I want to live in a post industrial shithole I’d move back to Baltimore.

First figure out whether or not living in a place with a lower COL than your current place will cause your company to lower your pay

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Borat voice my dumbass gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I wish Wisconsin would finally legalize it, we are the only midwest state without at least medical weed iirc. Even a state like Utah has medical weed. UTAH